The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-12-2009, 11:42 PM   #1
TwoFiftyShifter

New to electrical - What do I need to get my lights worknig?

So I've had my 64 GMC for 6 months now, it's my first truck, but haven't had the desire to really dig into it. I have that now. I have little experience with electrical stuff, so if someone couls tell me what I need to buy to get into this, It would be great. My buddy is a little better (but still a dumb kid, lol) and hes coming over tuesday to work on it with me. Heres a rundown.

I replaced all the fuses in the fusebox.
What works:
Turn signals up front, parking lights, dash lights and indicators, and the aftermarket radio. The horn also works.

I use a test light and the following things have no power: Wipers, no power at the fuse box with a new fuse. Maybe the clamps on the fuse box are corroded? Dome light - No power at all at the dome light, just on the fuse box. No clue about that thing. Headlights - Power at the fuse box, no power at the firewall where they plug in. Brake lights/Tallights - There is only a cluster of wires going to the back of the truck and at the end of it theres a 3 prong plug. No power at this plug.

Not sure if you guys can help me, but is there like a wiring old cars for dummies book? Will I have to buy an expensive wiring harness? I'm pretty low on cash. Thanks for any and all help. The old thing runs drives and stops, I'd be willing to bet that if I get all the lights working I can get plates on it and drive it this fall.
Old 07-12-2009, 11:47 PM   #2
TwoFiftyShifter

Re: New to electrical - What do I need to get my lights worknig?

Also, I just look at those wiring diagrams and start to drool.... I can't read those for the life of me.
Old 07-13-2009, 12:00 AM   #3
GruntMoanCough

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoFiftyShifter View Post
Also, I just look at those wiring diagrams and start to drool.... I can't read those for the life of me.

But seriously, just be patient and refer to your wiring diagrams often, it will make sense................ eventually.
Seems to me that you've got corrosion problems. Also, start at the beginning of the circuits and check for power along the way, check at connectors, etc.
Old 07-13-2009, 12:05 AM   #4
joe231

the issues with your headlights could be the headlight switch, the dimmer, the connector on the radiator core support, the lights themselves, or even a bad ground connection.....your dimmer switch is mounted on the floor to the left of your accelerator, brake, and clutch(if you have one)
there is 3 wires, with the headlights on check for power on the wires, you should have one wire that is a hot feed, and 2 wires that: one goes to the high beams and one goes to the low beams. if you have no power there then your headlight switch is suspect, if you have power there on 2 of the 3 wires then move on to the connector on the core support, sometimes you can wiggle the plug and get a better connection, if you have power there check the plugs on the headlights, if there is power making it to the lights but they still don't light up, you need to check the grounds and the lights themselves. you could also work backwards from the lights to the headlight switch.

you basically need to do the same for any circuit you are having problems with. the dome light wires should be ran under the driver's side sill plate.

just take your time and don't get frustrated, wiring can try your patience, especially since you aren't very experienced with it....
Old 07-13-2009, 12:17 AM   #5
TwoFiftyShifter

Maybe the dimmer switch is the culprit for the head lights..... The turn signals didnt work before.... I put a new flasher in and they worked great....
Old 07-13-2009, 12:19 AM   #6
joe231

our '66 sat for some time, it had a badly corroded and damaged dimmer and the connector on the core support was corroded also
Old 07-13-2009, 02:03 PM   #7
TwoFiftyShifter

I took the dimmer off today, it kinda pulled apart in a rusty mess. Here's what it looked like:

That will need replacing.....
Old 07-16-2009, 12:39 AM   #8
TwoFiftyShifter

Well, it was a combination of a bad dimmer switch, and corrosion at the core support connection. I got the headlights working.... At least in high beam mode. Problem is, the whole front clip is so rotted out, I started to tear it off. I have new grille, rad support, grille support and inner fenders. I'm thinking 1 step backward, 2 steps forward here.