The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-13-2009, 07:45 PM   #1
usafdaytonan

Free hang or married T-case?

Hi all I have a question I've been wrestling with. I have a 70 blazer with a 6" spring lift front and rear. It has 1/2 ton axles with 4:10 gears. The guy I bought it off of exploded the stock t-case and put in an automatic tranny (not sure what it is) and basically drove it as a 2 wheel drive until I rescued it. I have a free hang np 205, I believe, t-case and a 203 [I think] married to a 4-speed granny low. Would I be better off leaving the two wheel drive tranny in there and installing the free hang or putting a 4-speed in there with a married t-case. If I put the free hang in here it will dramatically shorten my rear driveshaft while lengthening my front shaft, I am not concerned with the fabrication of the cradle and crossmembers I am just torn over what to do with it, I will be using it as a combination mud and beach buggy so it will not see much asphalt. The engine is a 307 with a 350 waiting for the 307 to give up. Basically I am curious as to how people have dealt with this issue and would Ibe better off hunting down a four wheel drive shorty tranny or leave the long 2 wheel drive in there and put in the free hang? or throw all that out with the married 4-speed? Also with the 6" spring lift will my axle angles be ok with either application? Any info would be greatly appreciated as summer is in full swing and I'm ready to hit the mud! Thank you
usafdaytonan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 06:09 AM   #2
vtblazer

Re: Free hang or married T-case?

Whew...where to start.

First off, you've got the beginnings of a doubler set up with those 203/205 t-cases you have.

The auto if I were to guess would be a th-350 and you could change out the tail section to a 4whl drive version (shorter) and be all set to use it.

Your call on the auto vs. 4spd tranny choice but I'd do some research and find out what auto is in there before making that call if it were me.

What size tires will you be running with that 6" lift?
What gears are currently in the diff's?

Check out the 4x4 tech section, there's a divorced t-case combo in one of the threads there.

Welcome to the board, enjoy the ride.

Last edited by vtblazer; 07-14-2009 at 06:10 AM.
vtblazer is offline   Reply With Quote