The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-14-2009, 07:09 PM   #1
ottoman562

Electrical gremlins

OK Fellas., Here's one I haven't seen in any of the forums. I have a 66 Chevy Stepside with 250 C.I. inline 6, recently restored in my shed over the winter, still bone stock except the flat black paint job and a hidden stereo in the glove box If interested you can see pics here

http://osman-66c-10.blogspot.com.

I've been enjoying the truck going on three months or so since completing the restoration. Last Saturday I take it out after a quick wash and on my way back I notice when I apply the brakes the turn signal indicator in the dash stay on instead of flashing. So I make it back home, turn the ignition off with my foot still on the braike and notice that my GEN and Oil lights in the dash are flashing. So I turn the ignition back on and get out of the cab, look at the taillights and now they are flashing. If I apply the brake they stop flashing. All lights except the rear turn signals work (rears are constantly flashing if the ignition is on) I have a brand new turn signal switch on the column, brand new taillights, brand new headlight, brake, reverse switches and until Sunday everything was working as they should. I checked the ground under the bed and its seems OK.

So., are there any GREMLIN SLAYERS amongst this bunch??
Could really use some help...
ottoman562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 07:28 PM   #2
jonathan-m

Re: Electrical gremlins

Sounds similar to what I've noticed in mine recently. My truck has set undriven for about a month, and when I started driving her again this week I noticed that I can turn the ignition off and pull the key out and the truck will continue to run as long as my foot is on the brake....never did that before though.
Old 07-15-2009, 10:22 PM   #3
Fred T
Cantankerous Geezer

Re: Electrical gremlins

Sounds like you have some bare wires. Usually happens where wiring goes through sheet metal and the grommet is missing. Start by looking at the steering column. You might have lost some insulation there. Anywhere the wiring runs through metal. It can also be inside one of the metal wire supports, they are everywhere. Check the ones on the frame rails. Another problem with wiring was above the muffler. A hole left in the top of the muffler would melt the insulation.

There is no such thing as too much cam...just not enough engine.
Fred T is offline   Reply With Quote