The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-15-2009, 09:42 AM   #1
smoky02

Build or Buy

I just acquired a 350 roller block. I want to build a 383 and have been researching what shops to take it to and what parts would be the best to use. And either way it's going to be rather expensive which I am not so much worried about that, but I just wanted to ask ya'lls opinion, would ya'll think it would be better to build my own motor or just order a crate motor?

Thanks,

Brandon

Looking for a 1972 Blazer to hopefully fill the hole in my heart.
smoky02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 09:48 AM   #2
m6z

Re: Build or Buy

It really just depends on your skill level and how much time you have. For a full build the cost usually comes out about the same. The last 468 I put togeather. Just machine work was over $700

If your going to outsorce it make sure that there is some kind of warranty and that they are willing to build what you want.

Looking for a 67-72 short bed driver.....

Last edited by m6z; 07-15-2009 at 09:48 AM.
m6z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 10:04 AM   #3
mr48chev

I'm from the build it yourself school but that is mainly because I have the skill and tools to build my own engines and I usually have to pay as I go.

With a number of sources for quality kits for the whole internal assembly at reasonable prices and new performance heads available at again somewhat reasonable prices if you want to go that way I think a guy with a bit of engine building experience can build one for considerably less than buying a crate motor.

There are also a number of advantages to crate motors though and the primary one is that most come with a warranty.

The second is that it is getting hard to find quality machine shops to do the work in some areas of the country. Personally, I have to drive 25 miles in one direction or the other to the closest shop that can redo a set of heads for me. That is just for a simple valve job with new guides.

If you have to pay the machine shop to assemble the engine, labor costs will run the cost up into the crate motor levels quickly and I think that is one of the big selling points of crate motors.

So it ends up that there several factors involved and it comes back to what you want to do and possibly your own skill level.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 11:06 AM   #4
big_al_71

I went thru this samething last year in the summer when I was rebuilding my truck. I ended up building my own motor I have peace of mind knowing exactly what is in it.
Attached Images

Sylvester's build thread >>>http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ht=big+rebuild
big_al_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 06:07 PM   #5
smoky02

I can do the assembling and installing of the engine myself...I was more worried about clearancing the block and buying all the internals. And like you said I'm not very sure about the quality of the machinist in my area.

Old 07-15-2009, 06:46 PM   #6
vectorit
What?

How much money do you have to spend right now?
Are you anxious to get out and drive?

If you have the dough, and you can't sit still watching your rig sit in the garage with no motor. Then I would go check out places like Summit, or maybe a place like Edlebrock for the mill you can afford.

Doing that will get you ahead by just calling their tech line, and telling them exactly what you want out of an engine and they will set you up. Then once you get the engine, you will have a warranty as well.

If money is slow coming, and you got all the time in the world. Then building your own maybe the ticket.
If you have a not so trust worthy machine shop, maybe check out one of the catalogs for ready to build blocks.

I personally have fun building V8's, but I go at a snails pace for a lot of reasons. But if I had a rig that was cherry, but had a busted engine in it and I wanted to get in it and drive it right away. I'd look at getting a turn key set up, depending on my budget, that maybe a CL private sale or if I had the cash it would be a catalog deal.

All depends on what your sitch is.
vectorit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 06:54 PM   #7
smoky02

My baby runs and drives right now, so I am in no hurry what so ever. I've also already got a block that is ready to be worked.