The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-07-2003, 12:20 AM   #1
RON WOODGEARD
Resident Young Old Dude !

Thumbs down D@mn, I hate Champion plugs !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A few months ago after almost 2 years, I got back into working on my 70. Dumd a@@ me forgot to empty the carb of all gas and in this heat it turned to varnish, plugging the idle passages and accelerator pump passages. I cleaned it up and had it running pretty good but something was still wrong, and I couldn't put my finger on it. I went to get new plugs and they were out of the NGK platinum tipped that I usually run, and all they really had were Champion truck plugs. Ok I'll give them a try. The engine hasn't run right since I started back on it, popping and doing some backfiring out of the carb. not revving smoothly ETC. I did the points,condensor,rotor,cap, ETC,ETC. today I went out ,determined it was still my carb. and I had overlooked something when I cleaned it out.
I had 2 holley 390's sitting on the bench that I'm using for the tunnel ram in the future, so I figured I'd bolt one on just to get it running. It did the same thing it was doing. I removed a spark plug wire, put a screw driver in the end of it and held it a little ways away from ground. It fired hot. (I have a Jacobson Omni-pak also) But it still wasn't running. So I took a plug out and grounded it against the header.. Well there it was,,,, The plugs were fouled. I stuck my old plugs back in and it ran like it was supposed to/used to, all along. Jeese, My old engine's back.. I HATE CHAMPION PLUGS. I knew better when the guy mentioned them but gave them the benefit of the doubt anyway. NEVER AGAIN!!!!!!!!!

Did I mention I hate Champion spark plugs?????

RON
RON WOODGEARD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2003, 01:10 AM   #2
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

I've seen them break for no reason too.
And not just once either.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2003, 02:09 AM   #3
junkyardjohn

Talking

YEP -- I ALWAYS HAD TERRIBLE LUCK WITH CHAMPIONS. I KINDA LIKE BOSCH PLATINUMS OR.........
Attached Images

LIFE MEMBER OF P.E.T.A (PEOPLE EATING TASTY ANIMALS)

DON'T RENT U-HAUL

ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH
IT WILL AMAZE PART OF THE PEOPLE & ASTONISH THE REST
junkyardjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2003, 02:31 AM   #4
67_SS396

Champion's

I guess I'm lucky, I've never had a problem with Champion's. (knock on wood) I run Champs in my carb'd trucks and AC in the fuel injected. I tend to get roughly 30-40K miles out of a set of plugs.

'66 C10 - The new hot rod

'77 3+3 Dually - 12 valve 4wd conversion tow rig project

'28 Ford 2 door sedan street rod

RevLimit Offroad

"Hang on beer, we can do this."
67_SS396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2003, 03:18 AM   #5
RON WOODGEARD

John,

L.O.L.

I'll know how to recognize you when I get up that way.

Be coming up in two weeks for a property search trip.

RON
Old 01-07-2003, 09:49 AM   #6
Mike C

I wouldn't completely fault the plugs since you were trying to run them on bad gas. You should consider yourself extremely lucky. Running an engine on varnished fuel can stick exhaust valves. Sounds like an old wives tale, but I can site at least 4 instances where I know it has happened. With a Toyoto 20R, a 5.7L boat, an Onan generator, and a Tecumseh powered go-cart. They start and run (not well...) and once you shut them off, they pop sputter and bang because of stuck valves when you try and re-start. Sometimes they will clear out, sometimes they have to be disassembled. And as far as Bosch Platinums go, I consider them extremely dangerous. I had a set in my '84 'vette and after about 10k miles, it started running really poorly. In 2 of the plugs the center platinum electrode had slipped from the insulator and grounded itself against the ground strap, completely shorting out those cylinders. And 3 of the others it had slipped to within .010 of the ground strap. If they had been the multi-strap plugs, I would have wound up with platinum wire pieces in the cylinders which is more than a little hard on pistons and cylinder walls. Of all the plugs I have run, I think Denso is best bang for the buck. NGK and Autolites are also good plugs. But I have put 1thousands of miles on AC and Champion and failures are usually related to the engine/electrical system rather than plug manf.
68 Camaro 'vert LT1 & TH700
69 Z/28 355 12.6's @110
69 Chevy Short Step 4 1/2"/7" drop
72 Jimmy 4WD 4spd 4" & 35's
02 GMC 2500HD 4x4 Duramax
Mike C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2003, 09:50 AM   #7
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

I have never had any luck with Champion plugs, thats what edelbrock reccomended in my RPM heads... Im running Autolite double platinums crazyL
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2003, 10:18 AM   #8
dubie

I was running Champions in my inline up until 2 years ago. I went to swap them out and 5 out of 6 broke off when I tried to take them out. Talk about a piss off. But at least the inlines are very easy when you have to get at the plugs

My 56 Chevy shop truck build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=562795
dubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2003, 12:23 PM   #9
RON WOODGEARD

MikeC,

I put the Champions in after I changed fuel tanks,changed fuel lines,and cleaned the carb. I had already ran the engine with the plugs I just stuck back in. Everything was clean a fresh when the Champions went to work. I figured like you that the plugs had did their work enough and it was time for some new ones.

The only good Champion I ever found were the "RACING PLUGS" We ran them in a highly modified small block,we drag raced only back in the late 70's, in a totally stripped out 55 chevy coupe.
I have ran Platinum tipped plugs since they were introduced, I have never had or heard of them falling apart before (not to say I don't believe what you say, ) I have never had a problem of any kind with them, and their service has been great. I prefer NGK,or BOSCH.

If some of you are having good luck with them you are definetely doing something that the rest of us aren't.. And that's great..... For myself, Never again!!!!!!!

RON
Old 01-07-2003, 12:38 PM   #10
Mike C

I don't run them anymore. I really like Autolites in all of my domestiic stuff. They are cheap and seem to last well and have good availability. As far as Platinum plugs, I'll do Autolite or AC, but never again will I risk engine damage because of spark plug. The free replacement plug will hardly cover a scored cylinder wall. Are you sure the bonehead at the parts store didn't give you the wrong style or heat range plug for your application?
68 Camaro 'vert LT1 & TH700
69 Z/28 355 12.6's @110
69 Chevy Short Step 4 1/2"/7" drop
72 Jimmy 4WD 4spd 4" & 35's
02 GMC 2500HD 4x4 Duramax
Mike C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2003, 12:49 PM   #11
Desert Rat

After using about every plug out there i found that big block motors,with miles on them prefer the old cheapy Autolites,maybe bump them up a number or 2.I had champions in my 402,it ate one every few days.cheapy autolites been in there for a year now,no problems.I personally dislike champions.I had ACs in a 396 and they were in there for a very long time i bought from a old guy he said he hadnt changed in years,still working good.but ive found on motors that smoke a little,high mileage etc cheap Autos hold up better for some reason.wifes little truck has Bosch i believe and they work good in there so thats what ill replace with,i think it all depends on your motor and setup personally,i had a 440 mopar one time that hated Autolites.theyd crap out in a day or 2,maybe that was the monster Holley???LOL but a diff brand was the cure.
Desert Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2003, 01:00 PM   #12
Jefe

I usually stick with AC Delco or BOCSH Platinums. Have had Champions fail rather quickly on me...I have heard that they were good back in the day...but I haven't seen anything good on them lately. Rather not run DENSO's (nippondenso) or NGK in an American vehicle.
Jefe is offline   Reply With Quote