The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-17-2009, 12:00 PM   #1
bigdon-70blazer

New arm rest colors- Help!

I need new arm rests for the 1970 Blazer. Mine were originally a light gray type color and the steel door panel was a cream colored or slightly darker. I have ordered 2 sets thinking I was getting what I needed, first a brown set and then an off-white set from Classic Parts. Brown set no-way and off white set too light and afraid it will get too dirty. I have read in the forum that painting them is not great idea because they tend to get scratched easily. Is that a true statement? Or do any of you know which company sells a light gray replacement that gets closer to what I had? Or (wishful thinking) anyone have any NOS light gray ones of very great shape used ones? Might as well ask! I need some bad! Mine were worn and faded.
bigdon-70blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 08:52 AM   #2
bigdon-70blazer

Re: New arm rest colors- Help!

Come on now, nobody has had this problem?
bigdon-70blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 09:05 AM   #3
14U2NV

bigdon-70blazer,

I completely redid the interior of my '78 Mailbu with SEM interior dye. The key to it is the prep. I followed the directions on the SEM website to a tea and have had no issues with flaking/peeling/scratching. I could be leaving a step out so check their website, but first I cleaned all the parts in the tub (yes the wife was thrilled). Then I scrubbed them with the SEM soap. The soap smells like it has alcohol in it. Then, depending on what kind of plastic or vinyl it is, you use adhesion promoter. Last you put the color on it. The first application is a light misting coat, then heavier coats. Take your time and do not touch it with bare hands after you clean it.

Look for "Color Coat"

Chad

Last edited by 14U2NV; 07-18-2009 at 09:06 AM.
14U2NV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 09:32 AM   #4
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

I have a non-factory gray color I am using on my 70 for both the dashpad and armrests. I got both of mine through Tim Christian, but I have seen them on Brothers page if you want a gray color. Otherwise, it sounds you might have to color a set.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 09:41 AM   #5
heavy71chevy

SEM is the best stuff to recolor with..and i agree that prep is the key..I painted the dash in my fox body mustang 3 years ago and it still looks like new
heavy71chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 12:12 PM   #6
dan42

I had the same problem - My '67 had silver-colored arm rests that are not reproduced in that color, so I bought some white ones and had the local auto paint store match the color for me with some vinyl paint in rattlecans - they don't look too bad at all. However, the door panels are a similar color, and again, they are not reproduced, so I bought some off-white ones, and they look fine. I don't want to paint those, because they take a little more abuse from the door handle, the window handle, feet, etc. and because it's such a big surface area that you will probably be able to tell it's been painted.
dan42 is offline   Reply With Quote