The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-18-2009, 07:36 PM   #1
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

55-59 cab types

Task Force Truck options

The information comes from a 1959 Chevrolet Truck Data Book that lists the specifications for salesmen. It may vary for earlier years but I don’t think very much. This list is directed at the cab options and related parts.

There are 3 cab option types, the standard cab, The Deluxe cab and the Custom cab. This is limited to 3100 series

The 3100 step side small window was the standard model that all others were option from.

The 3100 came standard with:
Painted front bumper
Single left side mirror 8” fixed bracket
235 CI w/ 3 Spd trans
Deluxe cab, see below for item list.
Vacuum wipers

The full View window was available for Deluxe and Custom cabs

Custom Cab Option

Custom cabs option also includes, cigarette lighter, chrome plated knobs, dual sun shades, a drivers arm rest, and a foam rubber seat
Custom cabs and custom panels include a right door lock, Bright metal windshield, side window and vent window trim. 30 series also included chrome grille, hub caps and front bumper. Custom Fleet side pickups have chrome molding on the side of the bed.

Exterior Custom cab options are below.
Window frames were painted on Deluxe cabs and chrome on the Custom cab.
Custom cabs have an arm rest on the driver side.

Optional #431: Cab, Custom, Include foam rubber seat and right side door lock
Option #258: Seat , Foam rubber ( Deluxe Cab Only)
Option #394: Window, Full-View Rear ( Big Window)
Locks:
For right door (Deluxe cab only) option #395
For Side tire carrier (Deluxe Cab Only) #396
For side tire carrier ( Custom Cab Only) #599
For right door and tire carrier ( Deluxe Cab Only) #599 – this may be a miss print.

Bumper, Rear option #218
Chrome (Custom Cab Only)
Painted ( Deluxe Cab Only)

Deluxe Interiors were finished in charcoal and silver-beige. Nu- Flex seat cover is vinyl. Interior surfaces are painted and a thick rubber matt is used on the floor. The dash is painted charcoal and silver-beige. The dash knobs were black plastic.

Custom Interiors had blue and charcoal or green and charcoal dash depending on the seat color. The foam rubber seat had nylon covers trimmed with vinyl. Interior surfaces are painted except for the fabric door inserts. The floor has a rubber mat.

Available option for all cabs.

You could get a deluxe heater and still have a custom cab or standard cab. It had the chrome lever panel that went into the dash. This was available on all models except flat face and forward control trucks.

You could get a radio, extra visor, turn signals, spot lights, bumper guards painted or chrome, Interior rear view mirror, A/C, windshield washer, 2 speed wiper, power brakes, and power steering. They also have various mechanical options.

So it seems that most cabs are Deluxe or De Luxe and GM calls them. The standard cab that we would consider the work truck and was a stripped down no option truck. The deluxe was a basic truck with some options added. You needed to have at least a Deluxe cab to have a big window and to have a custom you needed to have all the chrome on the front, sides and back of the truck with chrome knobs on the dash and right side door lock. It looks like all these years I have thought the Custom was a Deluxe not knowing about the Custom cab.

As a side note there are 2 cab types in addition to the big and small window. There is a V8 cab and 6 Cylinder cab, The difference is in the back side of the firewall were the V8 distributor would be. Its flatter on a V8 and more rounded on a 6 cylinder. This isn’t in the book but an observation I notice while cutting cab panels for customers and replacing bad firewalls. There are slight differences in years as well. 55-57 have a different hood hinge bolt pattern And 57 up have a enclosed captured nut for the top fender bolt. 57 down are an open type captured nut.

Last edited by dwcsr; 07-20-2009 at 07:19 PM.
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 10:17 PM   #2
Number 9

Re: 55-59 cab types

Thanks, good info.
Number 9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 11:56 AM   #3
1956cameo

Thanks for sharing all of this great information. It may really help me out during my restoration.
1956cameo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 07:27 PM   #4
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Maybe some one else has a 55-58 data book and can add to this for an FAQ.
I never new about the Custom cab thinking I had a Deluxe and the Deluxe was the bling cab. I'm sure there are other facts that we may not know or didn't know existed.
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 08:02 AM   #5
1956cameo

I agree. If anyone else has anymore information please add it.

I just parted out a small window cab 57 chevy truck but it had all of the chrome trim, chrome knobs and all the other items you listed for the custom cab.

Last edited by 1956cameo; 07-21-2009 at 08:02 AM.
1956cameo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 10:03 AM   #6
OrrieG

All I can add is that I bought my 59 1/2 ton Short Fleetside in 1976 in Arizona from the second owner. The first was an appliance repair place, second was a guy that used it as go to work rig. It came with a small back window with black rubber trim. Painted front bumper and grill. No back bumper, the bed corners were cut for a lift gate. Standard trim. Interior was beige, brown bench seat, black knobs, deluxe heater, dome light. I added turn signals. It had a driver outside mirror and interior mirror. Driver sun visor. Rubber floor mat, grey cardboard headliner. #2154 to roll of the assembly line, don't know which plant. Engine was 235, three speed. Manual Steering. Can't remember the rear end ratio, think it was in the 3.73 range.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote