The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-19-2009, 05:36 PM   #1
68SWBChevy
Livin the good life!!!

Truck Frame Need HELP Please!

Hey guys I have a question I'm hoping someone could answer. I have 68 SWB 2WD truck that I am restoring. I've just realized the frame is bent and I need another frame. I've gone and looked at a few and have a few questions I can't find the answers too.

Does anyone have a drawing or spreadsheets with the dimension on for one of the frames?

Are the frames any different from 67 to 72? I know there is coil and leaf springs but aside from that, I think the K members are all pretty much the same. Can anyone confirm?

Last but not least is there any difference between a truck frame that has power steering and one that doesn't? Mine does have power steering and has the 4 dimples where the gear box bolts I wasn't sure if they were all the same or not as far as that is concerned.

Any help anyone could give me would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!

James

Daily Driver 2004 Chevy 2500 HD Crew Cab 4x4 6 inch lift

Proud owner of a 1932 Ford Roadster "Zppn By"

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/c...pic57166_1.gif
68SWBChevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 06:48 PM   #2
Dingfodgy
Lemme show you something!!

Re: Truck Frame Need HELP Please!

Dimensionally, I fairly certain the frames are the same from '67 to '72. However, the '67 and '68 core supports have different bushings and I believe mounting tabs.... but you should be able to swap them out from your frame. Also a '67 frame w/o power steering does not have the relief for the PS box, but a little heat and a BFH can alleviate that, or there are spacer kits to accommodate this as well.
Have you looked into having your frame put on a rack and straightened? If it's not too tweeked- I would think this could be fairly straightforward.
Good luck nonetheless.
'95 BMW 325i ("Joy")
Dingfodgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 07:21 PM   #3
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

68 - 72 should be the same, 67 is not.
most 68s will have provisions for power steering
71 and 72 have stronger steel
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 09:11 PM   #4
68SWBChevy
Livin the good life!!!

Thanks guys for the information so far. That is helpful. The frame I looked at did have the power steering reliefs so that tells me it is at least a 68. Sound like the dims are the same for the rest maybe the core support mounts will need to be changed so now I know more what to look at and look for.

Old 07-19-2009, 09:14 PM   #5
68SWBChevy
Livin the good life!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingfodgy View Post
Dimensionally, I fairly certain the frames are the same from '67 to '72. However, the '67 and '68 core supports have different bushings and I believe mounting tabs.... but you should be able to swap them out from your frame. Also a '67 frame w/o power steering does not have the relief for the PS box, but a little heat and a BFH can alleviate that, or there are spacer kits to accommodate this as well.
Have you looked into having your frame put on a rack and straightened? If it's not too tweeked- I would think this could be fairly straightforward.
Good luck nonetheless.
I've talked to a couple of body shops about having the frame straightened and that is not out of the question. It is bent in the front. Not sure how bad just know it is tweaked. I can't seem to get a straight answer from anyone as to how much it will cost. I don't need a firm set in stone number. Just want someone to tell me an approx cost "it will cost you around $500 to get it straightened". That way I don't drop it off and a grand later get it back I can get a replacement frame cheaper than that. Just trying to do what makes the most sense from a cost standpoint since I'm doing a full frame off restoration anyway.

Old 07-19-2009, 09:59 PM   #6
VA72C10
VA72C10

Also consider a 71/72 to get the 5 lug disc fronts if you were ever considering that swap. Just a thought. Or find a truck with a good frame and a bad body for cheap and part it out to get your money back.
Old 07-19-2009, 10:01 PM   #7
Big-Blue

Have you seen this on CL? I can't believe it is still available!

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/pts/1275626680.html

It looks like he is starting to part it out so you may need to call him asap. You can probably get the frame and actually make money off the rest of it!

1972 c-10 LONG BED project truck. NO TITLE... Truck is a 1972 from the factory as a Red & White Cheyenne Super 1/2 ton long bed : optioned with a 350, turbo 350 automatic, factory a-c, power steering ,power brakes,heavy duty springs, cargo light, chrome bumpers....not that it matters now, but gives you some idea what WAS there. Truck has a good 12 bolt rear end..driven not long ago.!! Ratio not listed so it is more than likely a 3.08. Has all front suspension :a-frames,disc brakes, complete roller. Truck comes with a motor..not installed .I know little to nothing about this motor other than it a complete pan to carb motor that will probably need a rebuild..I was told it was a 283. Truck comes with a complete set of , 8 inch rallys..WITH THE WHEELS/ TIRES PRICE IS: $425 , a straight left fender, straight hood, core support, doors are straight, roof panel is straight,suspension is all original and complete,. The bed is complete but rough, cab has typical rust. Truck could be built but would be in my opinion better as a parts truck, and as I stated truck has NO title.Since this is a 5 lug disc brake truck, the suspension could be used on any older 67-70 6 lug with drum brakes. Priced to sell!!!! Bring a dolly and $275. *******************$ 275 WITHOUT THE WHEELS AND TIRES*** ***********Please dont ask if I'll take any less. (817) 480-3523 MAY PART OUT
Big-Blue is offline   Reply With Quote