The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-21-2009, 07:56 PM   #1
JoeKan

Opinions on a 61 burb

I have found a 61 burb in which I have been looking for, but I have some concerns about it and I would appreciate anyone's opinion on this.
The burb doesn't have a motor or tranny, doesn't have a 2nd or 3rd seat, has some rust, but not a great deal. It is definetly a project vehicle. It will cost around $1300 for it. It needs alot of work, but I think they are real hard to find.
Can you give me some pros and cons about this? Do you think this would be a wise purchase? How much $$ would it take to put a motor (235 6cly) in it? How much would it cost for the tranny?
What about the seats? Would it be better in the long run to order them from LMC or go looking in the junk yards?
Or should I keep looking for one that is in better shape? I just missed out on one on ebay last week.
Thanks for any help,
Joe
JoeKan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 10:02 PM   #2
Demmit_Hemmit's 65

Re: Opinions on a 61 burb

Well Joekan..............................$1300 is a fair price for a 61..............I haven't seen too many of them around. Seats aren't really much of a problem. You can use seats out a newer suburban or even a blazer. I'd check the burb over to see what rust issues it does have. Like the bottom of the doors and fenders. Also the grill support and radiator support. The front of the inner fenders. The front floor pans and inner and outer rockers. The back corners of the hood too. For motor choices, I think a small block would be a smart choice unless you're going to go stock. Small blocks are really pretty reasonable priced. I'd say go for it........................Hemmit
Demmit_Hemmit's 65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 05:35 PM   #3
JoeKan

Thanks for the help.
Joe
Old 07-22-2009, 05:37 PM   #4
JoeKan

Does anyone know if they came out with a 3rd door or not?
Thanks.
Old 07-22-2009, 11:56 PM   #5
Demmit_Hemmit's 65

No third door on the 60-66 trucks..................the third door was on the 67-72 burbs............................................It was located on the passenger side......................Hemmit
Demmit_Hemmit's 65 is offline   Reply With Quote