The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-23-2009, 09:08 PM   #1
Hazieview
Building Dreams out of Dimes!

New to the 47-59 crowd. Had a few questions

Hey guys I am just now purchasing a 1948 COE dump truck. I want to remove the dump bed and turn the truck into a car hauler so I had a few questions.

I wont need a CDL to drive this rig will I?

I would like to drop the truck a lot. This will make it easier to load cars onto it. What kind of suspensions do I need to look into because I dont think I can use just a regular truck suspension like on the pickups or can I?

Is a small bock powerful enough to get the job done? I have an sb400 I'm plan on putting in it if yall think that will be ok. Otherwise I was considering a newer diesel engine or a Big Block. (the engine will have to be relocated but I'm cool with that.)

Here is the truck

Thanks guys I hope yall can help me out. I'm a rookie at this. Most of the time I stick with the '80 model chevys!

Last edited by Hazieview; 07-23-2009 at 09:56 PM.
Hazieview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 10:15 PM   #2
pgf545

Re: New to the 47-59 crowd. Had a few questions

I don't think you would need a CDL if you were just using it for your personal use. My brother has a Top Kick??? I can't remember what they now call their big trucks but it is like a 1 1/2 ton truck.

Dropping it I have no clue on that since it is pretty heavy. You might have to rig some sort of hydraulic setup to actually drop the frame down inside of the rear end.

Power...if it were mine I would use a diesel if I could find one reasonable enough, or a big block. A small block would work but it would probably stretch it quite a bit. What you want for towing is torque.

Good Luck and have fun with that thing.

Bernie

P.S. I saw a ramp truck at the Autorama this past year that was a COE. I will have to look to see if I have some pictures of it. Right now my computer is messing up so I am on my sons...lol.
Once we get it acting better I will look.
Old 07-23-2009, 10:58 PM   #3
kalvin22

If it has a gross weight of 26001 lbs or more AND you plan on using it to make any kind of money then you need a CDL and DOT numbers. If the gross weight is 26000 lbs or less and you use it to make money then you prob don't need a CDL but you will need DOT numbers. If it is strictly used as a "personal" vehicle then no special junk is needed.
kalvin22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 11:15 PM   #4
Hazieview

Hey thanks for the replies guys!

I am thinking I will have to get some heavy duty bags in the back if I want to be able to drop it down when I load and jack it up with I haul. However I have never seen a bags on setup like this.....?????

As for the engine. I have no experience with diesel engines so I'd be spending a lot of money real quick.

I just wonder if that sb400 would be ok or should I definently go with a BB? If I go with the BB I think I will have to install it behind the cab....?
Old 07-24-2009, 12:05 AM   #5
sn33kyp3t3

If you don't want to spend too much money, I'd recommend the BB route.

There is no replacement for Displacement!

The diesel route will probably get you more miles out of it and be cheaper on your wallet in the long run, but there are definitely more parts to put into it. If you can find a dually or a big Cummings truck donor, then you would have everything you need for the power from the donor vehicle, give or take.

That's my $0.02.

Either way, thats gonna be one cool hauler!
sn33kyp3t3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 12:21 AM   #6
2tons of fun
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazieview View Post
Hey thanks for the replies guys!

I am thinking I will have to get some heavy duty bags in the back if I want to be able to drop it down when I load and jack it up with I haul. However I have never seen a bags on setup like this.....?????

As for the engine. I have no experience with diesel engines so I'd be spending a lot of money real quick.

I just wonder if that sb400 would be ok or should I definently go with a BB? If I go with the BB I think I will have to install it behind the cab....?
that truck will NOT require a cdl.

you have never seen a air bag setup????? it would be the exact same as any lowrider setup with bigger bags, beefier links and brackets.

a 400sbc is ### identical to a 396 bbc, the bbc is just better built.

a bbc isnt that much bigger than a sbc. 1-2" wider and taller, and 1.5" closer to the radiator. if you keep low valve covers, and a low air cleaner you should be fine.

a sbc would do just fine, espeicaly a lt1 or newer ls1 motor.
2tons of fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 05:41 AM   #7
Hazieview

[QUOTE=2tons of fun;you have never seen a air bag setup????? [/QUOTE]

Actually NO... I have never seen a truck like this with bags... I was thinking I may have to use those big bags out of a semi and just fabricate everything.... If you've seen a bag setup like this could you show me some pictures so I can get some ideas?

I think I am going to run a sb400 for starters. I just dont see spending money on a big block when I could put it towards a diesel engine later on... Keep up the replies I need all the help I can get!!! Thanks!
Old 07-24-2009, 08:30 AM   #8
Bigblue29
Thanks 'til you're better paid

I know some of the big single axel moving trucks use air bags to make the rear ends squat for easier loading... Maybe a trip to a U-Haul would help get you some ideas to start? Those trucks are certainly not for show but the utility of getting the rear end down is a start...

1950 Chevy AD 3100 pickup
2000 GMC Sierra

1970 Jeepster Commando
Bigblue29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 09:57 AM   #9
sn33kyp3t3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblue29 View Post
I know some of the big single axel moving trucks use air bags to make the rear ends squat for easier loading... Maybe a trip to a U-Haul would help get you some ideas to start? Those trucks are certainly not for show but the utility of getting the rear end down is a start...
Bigblue29 has the right idea, go check out what the industry uses and base your build on that. Work from proven and engineered setups.

Also, I did a quick little search just to see what came up, and I found this site with Ryder replacement air bags, http://www.ryderfleetproducts.com/cg...ch_results.jsp

So checking out Ryder, Penske, Uhaul or any other fleet truck service should give you good results.

Good luck, oh, and POST THOSE PICTURES too when you get to building it!
sn33kyp3t3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 10:40 AM   #10
1sik52
Account Suspended

The best thing you could do is find and 73-87 crew cab dually with either a diesel or the 454 and mount your body onto that chassis. That is the direction that you need to go.
1sik52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 11:19 AM   #11
OrrieG

Guy I know in Oregon just picked up a motorhome with 454/auto, dual rear end that has fire damage in the "living" space. He is going to find a COE to put on it for a hauler. I agree with the comments to look at and use commercial stuff. Going cheap looks good until you are sitting next to the road with your hauler broken down or rolled with a 50K truck on the back. I know around here there are a ton of old uhaul and commercial cargo trucks for sale cheap that have to be cheaper than accumulating all the parts individually and you would get all the little stuff you need (clips, brackets, etc.) Good luck and keep the photos coming.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 11:36 AM   #12
fine69

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sik52 View Post
The best thing you could do is find and 73-87 crew cab dually with either a diesel or the 454 and mount your body onto that chassis. That is the direction that you need to go.
I 2nd this motion. This series of truck can be found fairly reasonably priced.

And you have the luxury of disc brakes and all suspension parts are easily found.

Put the old cab on a new frame. Best way to go.

Still lots of work.

But it will steer better, drive nicer.

Board member #6

fine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 02:42 PM   #13
Atomsplitter

Is what your eventually looking for?
Attached Images

Atomsplitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 02:46 PM   #14
Atomsplitter

Lets try that again but BIGGER!
Attached Images

Old 07-24-2009, 03:27 PM   #15
Hazieview

Well the rig is going to end up costing me a pretty penny so I would hate to just discard everything....

Also I'm plan on bagging the back so it will have to be fully customized. Really all I need is the front clip. So I guess i will be looking for a big truck that I can still a modern front clip off of.... Any suggestions on that matter?
Old 07-24-2009, 03:59 PM   #16
1sik52
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazieview View Post
Well the rig is going to end up costing me a pretty penny so I would hate to just discard everything....

Also I'm plan on bagging the back so it will have to be fully customized. Really all I need is the front clip. So I guess i will be looking for a big truck that I can still a modern front clip off of.... Any suggestions on that matter?
If you plan on bagging it, the best route is still finding an old crew cab dually. Much easier to bag a 1 ton dually than a 2 ton work truck!
1sik52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 05:17 PM   #17
mr48chev

1 ton dualie or the chassis out of a proper class C motorhome if the front suspension isn't too wide. A lot of them were built on Chevy Van chassis in the 80's and if the coach is damaged they can be dirt cheap.
If you want to keep the frame you might look into swapping in one ton front and rear suspension. Take a tape measure to your truck and then start crawling under different year dualies other rigs that look like they might have what you are looking for in the way of suspension.

Some years with independent suspension are pretty close in width to the early trucks and some are way off.

The 400 will probably get you down the road ok if you aren't trying to haul way too heavy a load or in a huge hurry. They put those in a lot of the Class C motorhomes back then and they ran out alright on the highway.

Either way you go I'd say to pickup a whole doner vehicle/chassis and then set about doing your thing be it hang the pieces on the early frame or set the cab on the later chassis.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 07:43 PM   #18
blackdiesel

I would use a 97-98 p-pump 12v cummins. The 73-86 frame would be the right with, but the newer dodge would be heavyer. I would look into some 19.5 rims. If I was going to really use it. If I just wanted it to look like a carhauler, then the SBC would be ok.
'57 2wd change
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...light=speedway
blackdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 10:39 PM   #19
Atomsplitter

Here's another COE Flatbed Hauler. It belongs to a Moderator on this board called 68GMCDUALLY. PM him and he should be able to provide you with a link to his build thread. If I remember correctly he used an '80's frame and diesel drivetrain. Unfortunatelly this pictutre was from his dads funeral, a nice guy that I had the priviledge to meet some years back.
Attached Images

Last edited by Atomsplitter; 07-24-2009 at 10:40 PM.
Old 07-25-2009, 04:11 AM   #20
Hazieview

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdiesel View Post
I would use a 97-98 p-pump 12v cummins.
If I had enough money I would love to throw in a diesel engine. No doubt! All in all it would be the best selection!

Atom Splitter,
That is exactly what I need. Since my truck is only a single cab I would have plenty of room. With that frame I should have no problems bagging it either. Thanks a lot I just email 68GMC Dually!

I was also thinking of this concept using my frame....

OR

Would this frame work?
http://austin.craigslist.org/rvs/1285288612.html

Last edited by Hazieview; 07-25-2009 at 04:54 AM.
Old 07-25-2009, 08:21 AM   #21
blackdiesel

I bought a good runnin school bus with a p-pump 12v and a auto tranny with 120000 miles on it for 800 bucks. for a project about like this. how much cheaper does it need to be?
'57 2wd change
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...light=speedway
blackdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote