The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-25-2009, 10:02 AM   #1
samdjr74

56 3100 Brake upgrades, need advice

Hi All,

I want to finish up my brakes next month, so far I've upgraded the frpnt and rear suspension so I'm running GM disc's on all 4 wheels. Next is the master clynider/brake booster. Here's where I need some help. Should I go firewall mount or frame mount? What's the advantages and disadvantages to each? Besides the master cylinder what else do I need to buy? I see adds that say I need a pressure valve, combo valve, etc, do I need them? I don't have the stock pedal but the frame mount for the original master cylinder is still intact and good.

Any help would be great, thanks,
Sam
samdjr74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 04:59 PM   #2
mr48chev

Re: 56 3100 Brake upgrades, need advice

On that particular truck the only advantage of a frame mounted master cylinder and booster would be a cleaner firewall and engine compartment. If you are into the clean firewall look and don't like stuff hanging out to block the view of the engine, go under the floor, If you really don't give a rip if people see your mc and booster hanging off the firewall, put it there where it is a lot easier to get to.
The truck came with a firewall mounted master cylinder and swing pedals so I would imagine it would be a lot easier to mount it on the firewall and a lot easier to check and service it.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 05:22 PM   #3
samdjr74

Thanks, but what about the proption values and residual pressure values, are they needed? Also my truck came with the mc mounted on the frame so mounting to the frame would be eaiser but to the forewall wouldn't be too hard as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
On that particular truck the only advantage of a frame mounted master cylinder and booster would be a cleaner firewall and engine compartment. If you are into the clean firewall look and don't like stuff hanging out to block the view of the engine, go under the floor, If you really don't give a rip if people see your mc and booster hanging off the firewall, put it there where it is a lot easier to get to.
The truck came with a firewall mounted master cylinder and swing pedals so I would imagine it would be a lot easier to mount it on the firewall and a lot easier to check and service it.
Old 07-25-2009, 05:55 PM   #4
OrrieG

Mr. 48 summed it up. On my 59 I put it underneath, I wanted the clean firewall and use of the stock pedal. Bad news is in the future filling and replacement will be more of a hassle. Look at post 13 and 39 in my build thread to see the basic layout. I built my own brackets and used the 74 master cylinder and Prop valve with a hotrod 8" vacuum booster.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 07:06 PM   #5
low57

Keeping the master cylinder and booster underneath the cab in my opinon would be easier simply for the fact that if you go the firewall route then you have to cut into the firewall and also brace up under the dash where the pedal assembley will go. As far as using residual valves you need to use one for the front and one for the rear if the master cylinder is under the cab and I believe that if you have four wheel disc 2 pound residual valves are needed. Have you thought about going the hydroboost route under the cab? I am in the process of putting a hydroboost under the cab of my 57.
low57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 08:28 AM   #6
samdjr74

I didn't even think about a hydro boost, what are the benefits of a regular booster?

Quote:
Originally Posted by low57 View Post
Keeping the master cylinder and booster underneath the cab in my opinon would be easier simply for the fact that if you go the firewall route then you have to cut into the firewall and also brace up under the dash where the pedal assembley will go. As far as using residual valves you need to use one for the front and one for the rear if the master cylinder is under the cab and I believe that if you have four wheel disc 2 pound residual valves are needed. Have you thought about going the hydroboost route under the cab? I am in the process of putting a hydroboost under the cab of my 57.
Old 07-26-2009, 08:57 AM   #7
ChuckDriver
A320 Pilot/USAF Retired

I went with the underfloor mount from Master Power Brakes. My truck has a camaro clip up front and a chevelle rear with a big drum brake kit. I followed their plans and used the prop valve and both 10lb and 2lb residual valves. The brakes work great, just like that of a camaro! Here are some links to their site and setup diagrams.

http://www.mpbrakes.com/uploads/docu...rumdiagram.pdf

http://www.mpbrakes.com/uploads/docu...erfloorpdf.pdf

http://www.mpbrakes.com/products/pro...product_id=192

Last edited by ChuckDriver; 07-26-2009 at 08:58 AM.
ChuckDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 09:06 AM   #8
ChuckDriver
A320 Pilot/USAF Retired

Here's a pic of my setup.
Attached Images

ChuckDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 10:37 AM   #9
blackdiesel

Well, I like the clean firewall also. But on my truck and grandpa's truck we have the M/C and booster on the firewall, and dad has the CPP uint under the floor, all have 4 wheel disc. Mine and grandpa's truck stop on a dine and give change, but dads, you better not tail gage or you will be buying a new grill. I dont know if it's a bad booster or if it's because his is a 8" and ours is like 11". Under the floor is alot easier.
'57 2wd change
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...light=speedway

Last edited by blackdiesel; 07-26-2009 at 10:48 AM.
blackdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 11:36 AM   #10
MrSinister

I had the underfloor and then went with the firewall mount on my truck and I definitely like the firewall mount. the firewall mount puts the pedal in a much more comfortable position and I had alot of problems with exhaust routing and tranny mounts with the underfloor mount. both of them were from cpp and they both were easy to install and are well made.
MrSinister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 03:05 PM   #11
blackdiesel

Mrsinister, Did one work better that the other, or just pedal position? Where the booster both the same size?
'57 2wd change
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...light=speedway
blackdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 01:32 AM   #12
MrSinister

the underfloor booster had an 8" single diaphram booster and the firewall came with a 8" double and it did make a big difference. but it was mostly the better angle that i was looking for, it's going to be much more comfortable especially since i plan on driving the snot out of it when i'm done
MrSinister is offline   Reply With Quote