The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-25-2009, 10:50 PM   #1
pritch

Made a little more progress today

I finally have everything I needed to put my front end back together. I wanted to re-run my control arms and bushings, but I just didn't like the way they were going together, so I ordered new. After a little bit of investigation, I learned that Carquest sells Moog parts in Carquest boxes, and the guys at the local CQ are great to work with. They get it.
I got the control arms, springs, spindles and calipers on today. I wanted to have her sitting on tires by the end of the day, but apparently I've lost my lug nuts.

One of the problems I was having with the used CA bushings was the way the seals were. I ordered new seals from LMC. Word to the wise: LMC control arm bushing seals suck. Can you tell which of these is Moog and which is LMC?

Those are the lowers, the uppers were just as wrong. Oh well, back on track, now.
Ol' Green
pritch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 11:33 PM   #2
stllookn
Saving 1 truck at a time!

Re: Made a little more progress today

Quote:
...but apparently I've lost my lug nuts.
Me too but it has never stopped me from trying. Nice work and thanks for the "heads-up" on the CarQuest parts.
'69 Flxible Cruiser (look up ugly in the dictionary)
stllookn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 11:41 PM   #3
chevy_mike
Never Ending Projects

Just an FYI, do with it what you will, the replacement upper ball joints, the bolts should come up from the bottom with the nuts on top. It seems to be what you would think is wrong but most instructions will say this.

Reason behind this is, when the boot compresses and twists with the suspension/steering, the extra part of the bolt that sticks thru the nut can actually come in contact with the boot and tear it. Ask me how I know this???

Looking good. BTW, do you have any pics of your inner tie rods (assuming you replaced them)? Moog changed the placement of the grease fitting from stock and I am not sure it clears the crossmember or if you can grease it.
1965 Chevy C10, Long, Fleetside, Hot Rod C10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=415702 SOLD

We were given two ears and one mouth for a reason... listen twice as much and speak half as often...
chevy_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 12:44 AM   #4
pritch

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy_mike View Post
Just an FYI, do with it what you will, the replacement upper ball joints, the bolts should come up from the bottom with the nuts on top. It seems to be what you would think is wrong but most instructions will say this.

Reason behind this is, when the boot compresses and twists with the suspension/steering, the extra part of the bolt that sticks thru the nut can actually come in contact with the boot and tear it. Ask me how I know this???

Looking good. BTW, do you have any pics of your inner tie rods (assuming you replaced them)? Moog changed the placement of the grease fitting from stock and I am not sure it clears the crossmember or if you can grease it.
Good call on those bolts. I wondered about that very thing, but when I come up with questions like that I go back to the before pictures and put it back like it was. I'll deal with that. I do have the new tie rod ends, but no pictures of them. I'll compare them with the old ones. I'll get some pics tomorrow.
It don't seem like there would be anywhere else to put them 'cept right in the center of the thing.
Ol' Green
pritch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 01:08 AM   #5
72BlckButy
Tot Roddin'

Nice work pritch!

1969 CST SWB - Project Blank Slate (4.5/6" ECE Static Drop, 6-lug disc brake upgrade (manual), Billet Specialties Vintec 20x8.5 255/40 (F) 20x10 295/40 (R), 250 I-6)
1960 AMF Skylark - Tot Roddin' (Lowered with custom frame; soon to include custom push bar and interior)
2008 Silverado CrewCab 1LT (5.3L, 3:73, 4x4, LT1, Z-71, Towing Package)
72BlckButy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 05:40 AM   #6
OARNGESI

looks really good
OARNGESI is offline   Reply With Quote