The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-08-2003, 03:43 AM   #1
navybear70
hometown heroes!

Talking truck pics...finally!

I finally took my pics off the palmcorder and put them on my desktop as .jpg images. Now can someone please explain how to get them from there to here!?!?!? I'm not hi-tech enough for all this stuff.
Also...How hard is it to switch steering column shifter to B&M floor shifter? ANd lastly...Can I use regular pressure treated wood from Lowe's (stained and shelacked of course) for the bed of my step-side? Last guy put a big piece of diamond plate aluminum down and let the wood rot out.
Attached Images

Last edited by navybear70; 01-08-2003 at 07:45 PM.
navybear70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2003, 03:49 AM   #2
navybear70
hometown heroes!

Wow! It worked! Figured it out finally. Now how do I attach more than one? It only allowed for one attachment...I think.
ocbaud- this is with the 235s/front and 255s rear. See what I mean about the wheelwell swallowing the tires? Those 205s looked downright tiny!
Attached Images

Old 01-08-2003, 04:23 AM   #3
79BIG10
I'm back with 2nd truck!

Re: transfering pics?

Quote:
Originally posted by navybear70
Also...How hard is it to switch steering column shifter to B&M floor shifter? ANd lastly...Can I use regular pressure treated wood from Lowe's (stained and shelacked of course) for the bed of my step-side? Last guy put a big piece of diamond plate aluminum down and let the wood rot out.
Not an expert on the tranny but I think you just need to remove linakge from column to tranny then cut a hole in the floor. Then mount the shifter to the floor or console then the shifter should come with linkage to replace the ones taken out.

On the wood IMO I would not stain or shellac treated wood. Treated wood is not made for shellacing. Staining is not the best since it has the treated wood treatment on there that makes it green looking and hard to get a good finish when fighting the treatment. I'd go with a nicer finish grade wood like natural pine for now or even some douglas fir (if you can find it) and stain it and shellac it. Look for some kind of treatment for doors and outside trim that are made to hold up against the elements. You want this to last.

"Don't underestimate how sexy a fat man who drinks to excess can be." Homer Simpson
79BIG10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2003, 04:35 AM   #4
bill_ont_canada
Nobody is perfect...

Nice lookin' ride I hope mine looks that good when it's done.

I don't know about using pressure treated wood... Oak or Ash or other hardwood is used the boards are 2 different sizes 7 1/2" wide and 5 1/2"wide X 3/4" thick. I think, and they have to be notched along the edges to accept the bed strips. So if you use pressure treated wood you will have to treat the ends and edges after all cuts are done. Pressure treated wood around here is usually softwood.

I'm planning on using hardwood and coating it with 2 part epoxy or a fiberglass resin.

There must be someone on this board that has all the specs for this I know the wood is only supposed to have a certain moisture content and is supposed to be dried a certain way, I saw it in Street Trucks Mag but cant remember which issue.
Hope this helps till the pro's get here.

" Loud Pipes Save Lives "
bill_ont_canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2003, 10:02 AM   #5
BigRed

NavyBear, you can also post pictures by putting them on a site like PictureTrail and then by adding url links in your post. The faq will tell you how to do that.

The floor shifter installation is pretty straight-forward. Hopefully low84 will chime in as he just did the install.

For your stepside bed, the best company out there for that is Mar-K out of Oklahoma. They have everything you will ever need! Go to http://www.mar-k.com/ and you can request a free catalog.

Hope this helps!
Old 01-08-2003, 10:28 AM   #6
brad2

Cool you got it figured out. Sweet truck!
brad2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2003, 12:18 PM   #7
PHOENIX

WOW that is a damn good looking step side. Do you have any more pictures of it?
Old 01-08-2003, 02:47 PM   #8
Earl Junior
Cadillac power

The biggest problem with the B&M shifters is that of the threee I've owned, NONE of the shift indicators have worked right.
Just for the record, if I'm down to my last potato, I'm not sharing it with a guy who wants to kill me so he can get a better supply of virgins in paradise. That lesson is a little thing I call Economics 101, infidel style.

--Scott Adams author of Dilbert
Earl Junior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2003, 02:55 PM   #9
LOHRTBT
BeWarE tHe eViL CrAnkTOe!

Nice truck!

do check out www.mar-k.com

- 1986 Chevy SWB - Stock for now
- 1986 Chevy Custom SWB *Stolen 6/26/05*
- 1985 Chevy SWB SOLD
- 1999 T/A Some mods
www.cardomain.com/id/ramairdave

AIM Screenname - Jester84
LOHRTBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2003, 07:30 PM   #10
low 84

Thumbs up

like they said the shifter installation is pretty straightforward. jus remove all the old linkage from where it comes out of the firewall all the way to ware it connects to the tranny. and the new ones are cable operated so you only have to drill a small hole in the floor for the cable to go through and 4 holes for the mounting bolts. the lever on the column just has a pin that holds it in, a punch and a hammer will take the pin out and then the lever will come off.

'05 1500 Crew Cab

RIP
'84 swb 5/7 drop, solid cammed 408 w/ fully ported dart heads, th350 w/ 10 inch hughes, 12 bolt w/ 3.73 richmonds and a locker
'80 swb 4x4 in progress: 7" lift, 350 th350/np205, d44 and 1.5" ORD tie rod, 14BFF w/discs , armored diff covers, 40" MTR's
low 84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2003, 08:10 PM   #11
ocbaud
Garage Queen Material

yeah, 255/60's will look good up there in the front, and so will the 275/60's in the back
ocbaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2003, 12:06 AM   #12
navybear70
hometown heroes!

Thumbs up

I appreciate all the help fellas... and the comments. It has some minor work to get done. Interior it OK but needs a make-over. PHOENIX: I'll post some more pics tommorrow. (remember I'm 5 hours behind eastern time.) What you want to see? I'm not gonna smoke 'em like Ocbaud 'cause its a daily driver. My wife would shoot me if I told her I needed a new motor. OCBAUD: I heard that if you put some pressure on the brakes when you light 'em up it fools the rear-end and will smoke both tires. I've never tried it though.

P.S. BigRed: I looked into that web-site, and $175 for the bedwood is a sweet deal. However comma... shipping to Hawaii will probably kill my wallet. I got three kids...'nuff said.

Last edited by navybear70; 01-09-2003 at 04:20 AM.
Old 01-09-2003, 09:43 AM   #13
BigRed

Quote:
Originally posted by navybear70
P.S. BigRed: I looked into that web-site, and $175 for the bedwood is a sweet deal. However comma... shipping to Hawaii will probably kill my wallet. I got three kids...'nuff said.
Hey, I know how that is. I never have any money left after the kids soak it all up. Plus, I know shipping to the islands can be very expensive. It's worth a shot though. See what kind of deal they can get for you.