The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-28-2009, 11:59 AM   #1
AJLChase

Frame switching question

I may be purchasing a untouched 67 long box that the body seems to be really straight the only thing from the pictures i can tell with out getting underneath it is it needs a new paint job just because I don't like the paint on it now. It will be a some what daily driver but I would like to restore it as I go instead of doing a frame off. My question is this, I have another long box frame off of a 69 project and was wondering if it would be ok to take that frame from the 69 project get it sandblasted, c-notch it,powder coat it and put really good disc breaks and lower it....then transfer the top end of the daily driver to that frame so that way I am not with out a vehicle any longer then I need to be by doing a full tear down on the daily driver? Thoughts?
AJLChase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 08:03 PM   #2
JimKshortstep4x4

Re: Frame switching question

Sounds like a good plan to me. The frames will swap with no problem and the 69 frame will have the indents for the power steering box if you want power steering.

Jim
1971 Shortbox step side 4x4, 350 sbc, 3:07 rear end
1965 Impala SS 400 sbc, Muncie rock crusher
1966 Impala SS 396 bbc, TH 400
1969 El Camino, 350 sbc, TH 350
1971 Snowplow built on a Blazer frame
1972 GMC Short bed, stepside, TH 400, 427 BBC
JimKshortstep4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 01:10 AM   #3
mclairmo

Re: Frame switching question

I think the transfer of the body to the other frame will take your truck out of commission for a long time, unless you have a solid week or so to spend on just doing the swap. I think that doing the tasks you listed one at a time on your 67 frame without tearing the whole thing down may end up being better for keeping your truck on the road. You can prep and paint the frame with the body on and do all the other mods with the truck still together, though the finished product will not be as nice.
mclairmo is offline   Reply With Quote