The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-30-2009, 10:55 AM   #1
bmfpeterson

rear air bag question

I am getting ready to install rear bags and was planning on just mounting the bag in the original spot for the coil spring. But now I realize I need the room for a big tire. I am not sure how much the bag will be in the way but I know I need the bag to set inside the frame rail. (so that there is no part of the bag sticking outside of the frame rail??) I hope that makes sense....

So I was thinking of just making a plate that would move the bag as far inside that I need, but will that end up being too narrow?? will that mess with the handling of the rear suspension??

Any thoughts are appreciated...
bmfpeterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 12:55 PM   #2
bagged70

Re: rear air bag question

So, are you running the stock trailing arms.
bagged70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 02:24 PM   #3
bmfpeterson

no I built some arms out of 2 x 3 and instead of bushings they have heims in the front. the other question is if the bags are off to the side of the arm being that it is a heims joint will it want to roll over to the side???
Old 07-30-2009, 03:41 PM   #4
chevy_mike
Never Ending Projects

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmfpeterson View Post
no I built some arms out of 2 x 3 and instead of bushings they have heims in the front. the other question is if the bags are off to the side of the arm being that it is a heims joint will it want to roll over to the side???
The trailing arms are bolted to the axle, so they will sit at whatever angle the mounts are set at. If you are using thick wall tubing, there should not be any twist in the arm to try to rotate the heim joint.
1965 Chevy C10, Long, Fleetside, Hot Rod C10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=415702 SOLD

We were given two ears and one mouth for a reason... listen twice as much and speak half as often...
chevy_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 05:51 PM   #5
mclairmo

If the bags are not centered above the trailing arms and not directly under the rear frame rails, I would be concerned about the ability of your custom brackets to support the load of the entire truck. However, if beefy enough, it should work. I would not haul or tow with it though.
mclairmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 06:17 PM   #6
bmfpeterson

Well I definitely do not plan to haul or tow with it at all. Maybe I should just plan on mounting the bags off of the back of the rear end. Does anyone have pics of a rear suspension with the bags mounted off of the rear end? with the stock style suspension???

Thanks for all of the input.....