The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-31-2009, 10:23 AM   #1
jasonblinn

bad vibration

i was wondering if anyone could help me out.im about to give up anytime.i just lowered my 1986 chev stepside,did an axle flip in the rear,and now i have a bad vibration in the truck.at 40 mph its more like it jumps more than a vibration.i already tried 3 driveshafts,all rusted or dented though,hard to find 1 around here for some reason.after i lowered it the stock driveshaft which was 27'' was too long,so i found out that 1 off a 4x4 long box is the same,around 55 1/2'' long.tried another set of wheels,it slowed the vibration so that told me it was my wheels.then put mine on another truck and no vibration at all.balanced my wheels 3 times already.had a bent axle,replaced that,still does the same thing.checked my rear drums cause it does it when i slow down or when i brake,rear drums were wharped,took them off,blocked my rear brakes off,went and tried it,still the same vibration.last night i put it on the hoist for the 100th time..lol..played with the pitch,seemed like it slowed it down at 1st,thought i had done something right but it started vibrating again.how do i check for that anyway??someone even suggested my shocks cause im still using the stock shocks,but took them off and it was still doing it.i know my rear end is more towards the passenger side,about 1/2'' for some reason,could it be that?seems like every thing i try it slows it down for a little ways down the road then it starts again.its really getting on my nerves,ive been trying to figure this out for almost 3 weeks now,every day i try something different with no luck at all.any info would be greatly appreciated
jasonblinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 10:41 AM   #2
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

Re: bad vibration

carrier bearing?

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 10:48 AM   #3
jasonblinn

im just about ready to change the whole rear end itself.but what i dont understand is that it wasn't doing this before i lowered it.i just bought the truck last summer,drove it back,it was a 4 hour drive,no vibration.i know when i replaced my axles,the bolt that holds the pin was broke,so i replaced it,and within a week i took it apart again and the bolt was broke again...frigg knows??
Old 02-14-2011, 08:18 PM   #4
sick454

did you ever figure out your vibration? I have a vib that cycles when going down the road.
sick454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 08:48 AM   #5
jasonblinn

never figured ity out..i ended up selling the truck
Old 02-18-2011, 11:07 AM   #6
68c10owner

It was probably a incorrect pinion angle. When you lower the vehicle the pinion angle changes. That can cause vibrations because now the driveshaft is not inline like it should be. Pinion shims usually correct this problem.