The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-02-2009, 06:48 AM   #1
fazels

Location: Durban South Africa presently working in al ain abu dhabi united arab emirates
Red face carburetor advise

hi all
can anyone please advise as to what carb one can use with 72 chev pickup with 350 engine?. i would preferably use two barrel because of fuel economy.
2 what late model rear suspension with disc brakes can use on
72 chev c 10? the chev i have has coil springs.
. i would prefer easy bolt on suspension.
fazel
fazels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 07:06 AM   #2
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Re: carburettor advise

fazels,WELCOME!!!! to the BB.There are as many carbs choices as there are opinions.A 2BBL may give you some economy but mostly simce you cannot open the throttle up.An engine is an Air Pump and as such the more air you put in the more fuel you put in.4 bbl carbs tend to have smaller primaries so flow less air and use less fuel until the rear 2 bbl's are opened up.
The choice of carbs really depends on several factros.Total engine combo,trans, gear ratio,use of truck and area all may play a role in the proper choice.In order to get the best info you need to include some of this info in your post.
There are many knowledgeable people here who will be glad to discuss the choices and options with you to help you decide .
On the disc brake question,i can't help except to tell you some members have done a disc swap.I believe there is a write up on a couple of different ways to be found in the FAQ's.If you go to this link

http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...splay.php?f=92

and look at the top of the list, there is a FAQ Index compiled by member "krue".Click on it and you can scroll thru the toopics to find info on almost any aspect of these trucks.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 09:01 AM   #3
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

Welcome from Texas...

I agree on the 2 barrel vs 4 barrel option. A lot of folks like the 2 barrel but I prefer a 4 barrel for the reason PanelDeland mentions.

I've only used quadrajets since I'm familiar with them, but gotta warn you, there's a lot of people that hate them. They're not the easiest to work on but they are plentiful. Once you have them working right, they basically are trouble free.

Vacuum operated secondaries come only into play when you step on it so basically you only use 2 barrels while cruising. The primaries are generally smaller than 2 barrel carbs.
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 09:33 AM   #4
Wrenchbender Ret

I agree with the Q-jet. They are plentiful in the salvage yards & swap meets. If you can learn to o-haul one yourself or drink beer with someone who can you can get one real cheap. Most Chev. engines in that era have a spread bore manifold to acept the Q-jet carb. or there are many choices available. The factory aluminum intakes from the 305 engines in pass. cars in the 80's are plentiful & work good.
Wrenchbender Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 09:42 AM   #5
TonyJohnson

Edelbrock 1406 seems to be a popular choice. Manual choke version is the 1405. These are both 4 barrel carbs. The only 2 barrel I've had success with is the Holley 500. I agree on the gas mileage issue. 4 barrel has the potential for better mileage. 2 barrels are simpler and somewhat easier to rebuild.

Last edited by TonyJohnson; 08-02-2009 at 09:45 AM.
TonyJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 11:03 AM   #6
rick0312

Re: carburetor advise

here is my setup. i went with the performer intake and edel 1406 carb. Seems to be a common choice here on the board.
Attached Images

Old 08-02-2009, 11:09 AM   #7
leddzepp

Edelbrock 1406. Bolt on and go.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 12:21 PM   #8
mclairmo

I like Holleys and have lots of experience with them. You can make them efficient by installing a black spring in the vacuum seconday (of a 4 barrel Holley). That way, the secondaries will never open all the way, leaving you essentially a 2 barrel, and if later you decide that fuel economy is irrelevant, stick another spring in there and away you go.
mclairmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 12:56 PM   #9
fazels

Location: Durban South Africa presently working in al ain abu dhabi united arab emirates
Thumbs up Re: carburettor advise

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanelDeland View Post
fazels,WELCOME!!!! to the BB.There are as many carbs choices as there are opinions.A 2BBL may give you some economy but mostly simce you cannot open the throttle up.An engine is an Air Pump and as such the more air you put in the more fuel you put in.4 bbl carbs tend to have smaller primaries so flow less air and use less fuel until the rear 2 bbl's are opened up.
The choice of carbs really depends on several factros.Total engine combo,trans, gear ratio,use of truck and area all may play a role in the proper choice.In order to get the best info you need to include some of this info in your post.
There are many knowledgeable people here who will be glad to discuss the choices and options with you to help you decide .
On the disc brake question,i can't help except to tell you some members have done a disc swap.I believe there is a write up on a couple of different ways to be found in the FAQ's.If you go to this link

http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...splay.php?f=92

and look at the top of the list, there is a FAQ Index compiled by member "krue".Click on it and you can scroll thru the toopics to find info on almost any aspect of these trucks.
hi u seem to be a person of great wisdom. many thanks for info. if i may my truck is for work purposes. fuel here in south africa is very expensive. judging by the replies i have got i may go for afour barrel. should it be with electric choke?.
many thanks fazel
Old 08-02-2009, 01:13 PM   #10
fazels

to all those gentlemen that have replied many thanks. i will wait for a few more replies and make a decision.
fazel
Old 08-02-2009, 02:11 PM   #11
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazels View Post
............ should it be with electric choke?.
many thanks fazel
It's really a personal decision on that one. If it has the choke on the instrument panel some prefer the original look and use a manual choke. Some like the convenience of automatic. I have a manual on my 68 GMC and an auto on my V8 converted 69 Chevy. Like them both.
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 05:59 PM   #12
72chevyk10
I built it

if you go with a edelbrock get the electric choke the 1406 is specificly tuned for economy on a 350.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I think the best and cheapest performance mod is to have someone that knows what the hell they are doing perform a tuneup on said vehicle.
72chevyk10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 10:31 PM   #13
mclairmo

I would go with an electric choke for ease of installation and ease of use. My Camaro has a manual choke 3310 750 CFM Holley and I hate that choke. My truck currently has a manual choke and I hate it, too, it is getting an electric choke 600 CFM Holley. I am considering adding an electric choke to my Camaro.
mclairmo is offline   Reply With Quote