The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-02-2009, 04:11 PM   #1
sjreno

Sloppy steering...

Wheel is facing vertical vs. horizontal. Is this a steering box issue? Or should I take off the steering wheel and mount it correctly. Alignment is fine btw.
sjreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 04:53 PM   #2
JohnC

Re: Sloppy steering...

If it is steering fine I would just take the steering wheel off and realign it. Your title is saying sloppy steering. Is that just because the wheel is not where it is supposed to be, or is there more to the problem than stated?
JohnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 05:10 PM   #3
clinebarger

someone may have put the steering wheel on wrong or your pitman arm is not parallel on the truck. the alignment shop is suppose to put the steering wheel straight before setting toe in. Just because the toe in is with in specs does not mean it was aligned properly. someone could have put inner & outer tierods on and messed it up (always count your threads) then taken it to a alignment shop that didnt check the work or didnt know themselves. take a measuring tape and check the length of each side (innertierod adjuster sleeve outertierod together) see how much differance is between the two ill bet thats your problem it whould also cause "bumpsteer" or "loose" steering.
clinebarger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 06:20 PM   #4
sjreno

Quote:
Originally Posted by clinebarger View Post
someone may have put the steering wheel on wrong or your pitman arm is not parallel on the truck. the alignment shop is suppose to put the steering wheel straight before setting toe in. Just because the toe in is with in specs does not mean it was aligned properly. someone could have put inner & outer tierods on and messed it up (always count your threads) then taken it to a alignment shop that didnt check the work or didnt know themselves. take a measuring tape and check the length of each side (innertierod adjuster sleeve outertierod together) see how much differance is between the two ill bet thats your problem it whould also cause "bumpsteer" or "loose" steering.
Ill go and check that, thanks. I didnt realize that.
Old 08-02-2009, 06:22 PM   #5
sjreno

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
If it is steering fine I would just take the steering wheel off and realign it. Your title is saying sloppy steering. Is that just because the wheel is not where it is supposed to be, or is there more to the problem than stated?
After a quick visual while changing my front bumper, I noticed that my bushings are shot.
Old 08-02-2009, 07:09 PM   #6
clinebarger

someone aligned your truck with loose parts! thats crazy if you lived closer id do it myself with primitive alignment tools in a drive way. this just stuck a cord with me being a tech.
clinebarger is offline   Reply With Quote