The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-04-2009, 12:38 AM   #1
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Important Safety Message

I just posted what I feel is an important safety message over on the "Shop Safety" board. I'm not sure how many of you ever look over there, so I'm posting this to help spread the info. Tell everyone that you know that this may effect.

http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...06#post3446206
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE

Last edited by Captainfab; 08-04-2009 at 12:39 AM.
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 12:43 AM   #2
Frizzle Fry

Re: Important Safety Message

Yep, good read.
Frizzle Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 05:48 AM   #3
jonzcustomshop
1961 crewcab

yes ,saw that on the hamb too pretty scary stuff.
jonzcustomshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 08:49 AM   #4
ol Curt

Yeah, I'm bad about not wearing a respirator when just welding a couple spots. Its especially problematic for me because I wear glasses. It is too bad we all neglect it, but a msds sheet for every chemical we us is always handy to have. If they sell it, the vendor has to provide one if you ask. That is a valuable piece of info to have with you if you need a trip to the hospital!
ol Curt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 09:00 AM   #5
ChiefRocka
Hollister, CA.

Man..that is some scary stuff right there...Don't think I ever used carb or brake cleaner before welding though.

Going to pass this on too...

What the Heck is that ??

CURRENT BUILDS:
62 BurbMaster

Other Builds:
My '63 C-10,LWB,CC,BBW
'06 HD StrAight Axle Swap

Father/Son '67 C-20, LQ9,4L80,Bagged,8-Lugger !!Good Friend Richard's Build

AMERICAN CUSTOMS & CLASSICS (831) 630-1965
www.ACCHOLLISTER.com
ACC on FACEBOOK
"Rest in Peace, Mom & Dad ... I will see you again someday!"
ChiefRocka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 09:04 AM   #6
ChiefRocka
Hollister, CA.

Phosgenefŏs'jēn, colorless poison gas, first used during World War I by the Germans (1915). When dispersed in air, the gas has the odor of new-mowed hay. The gas is highly toxic; when inhaled it reacts with water in the lungs to form hydrochloric acid and carbon monoxide. Because the upper respiratory tract is little affected, warning signs of exposure are slight, and symptoms may fail to appear for from 2 to 24 hours after exposure. However, the release of hydrochloric acid in the lungs causes pulmonary edema and may also cause bronchial pneumonia and lung abscesses; in severe cases death may result within 36 hours. Phosgene is now used in chemical synthesis. It may be prepared by the reaction of carbon monoxide with chlorine in the presence of a catalyst or by the oxidation of chloroform or carbon tetrachloride. Phosgene has the formula COCl2.

What the Heck is that ??

CURRENT BUILDS:
62 BurbMaster

Other Builds:
My '63 C-10,LWB,CC,BBW
'06 HD StrAight Axle Swap

Father/Son '67 C-20, LQ9,4L80,Bagged,8-Lugger !!Good Friend Richard's Build

AMERICAN CUSTOMS & CLASSICS (831) 630-1965
www.ACCHOLLISTER.com
ACC on FACEBOOK
"Rest in Peace, Mom & Dad ... I will see you again someday!"
ChiefRocka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 01:29 PM   #7
TwiggyTheDrummer
Keep It Simple Stupid.. Nope..

Thanks Chief, that thread is a great little bit of knowledge that will definitely be useful for this guy. But I agree with you on not ever thinking of using the brake or carb cleaner. And that's some great research in the post above me. Man, there sure was some ruthless tactics thought up for the past centuries wars. I think the sharpened wooden stakes covered in human feces by the Vietkong topped the charts though.

1963 GMC SWB Fleetside in Sunburst Orange Metallic
305E V6 w/ Plaid VC, Powerglide, BOSS 313 20" Chrome Wheels, Kumho Ecsta STX 275/45/R20's, Alpine/Clarion System, Dynomax Exhaust

Old custom classic trucks have soul. Their dashboards aren't plastic, and they've survived both the best and worst of what the 20th century had to offer. For the owners of these trucks, it's often the same story. Through both good and bad times they persevered, until one day they could turn the key and roll up in a customized truck everyone with good taste would admire.Custom Classic Trucks

Last edited by TwiggyTheDrummer; 08-04-2009 at 01:31 PM.
TwiggyTheDrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 02:14 PM   #8
Mordachai
Fat Fendered Fleetside

I'm really glad this is getting around.
Not just here, I was at my buddy's shop(two mechanics in the place) and one of them started to talk about it to one of the other guys in the auto plaza about it. I said you talkin about welding on brake cleaner?
I saw it on the hamb, he saw it on a corvair forum...

I'm just glad that this is being spread around, we need to be safe. And it helps to be healthy and alive to enjoy our hobby...

radiused fiberglass fender project for 67-72
Mordachai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 04:03 PM   #9
shrunken66stroker

I read it and as an amature fabricator I found it scary. I just use brake cleaner and a wire brush to clean grease off of a mount that is cracked and needs to be welded. I haven't welded it yet and it's been a few days. Is it only if the brake cleaner contains that specific chemical and is in liquid form? One thing is for sure, I'm going to read the cans that I have in my garage and pay attention to this issue in the future. Thanks for posting this Captain. The life you saved may be mine.
shrunken66stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 12:55 AM   #10
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

I seldom use brake cleaner, but I do frequently use carb cleaner to clean aluminum prior to welding. Particularly aluminum repairs that are oily and/or greasy.....and on diesel tanks too as the guy in the article normally would do.

I'm not positive, but I think the brake cleaner he used may have been the chlorinated type......I'll have to look at it a little closer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefRocka View Post
Man..that is some scary stuff right there...Don't think I ever used carb or brake cleaner before welding though.

Going to pass this on too...
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwiggyTheDrummer View Post
Thanks Chief, that thread is a great little bit of knowledge that will definitely be useful for this guy. But I agree with you on not ever thinking of using the brake or carb cleaner. And that's some great research in the post above me. Man, there sure was some ruthless tactics thought up for the past centuries wars. I think the sharpened wooden stakes covered in human feces by the Vietkong topped the charts though.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 01:45 AM   #11
Heater63

Yes, and here's another fairly common one that will sneek up on you:

Hydroflouric acid. Yes, the stuff that etches glass, among other uses. You will find it in a few household products such as CHROME POLISH and
RUST STAIN REMOVER.

The 'fine print" will tell you to wear gloves, and brother, this is one time you better wear gloves. Here's why:
Hydroflouric acid is rapidly absorded through the skin, and binds to Calcium deep in your tissues. It causes extreme pain and destruction of tissue, usually starting a few hours after contact. I have treated several cases, and it has not been easy or pretty. Usually we have to administer Calcium, not IV, but in the Artery so it will reach the fingers. With treatment fingers discolor, skin will later peel, but ultimately you recover. Without prompt or proper treatment, you can lose fingers just like severe frostbite.

As at Hill Street Blues,...."Be careful out there".
Old 08-05-2009, 08:24 AM   #12
aggie91
I'm just glad to be here!

Thanks Captain for posting that article. I printed it out to give to the welders here at work. They should all read this.

Thanks again. Like I have heard before, sometime what you don't know will kill you.

Also, from the picture of the label, the can of brake clean is the red one, which normally is the Chlorinated version of brake cleaner. We use the Non-Chlorinated version of CRC'c Brakleen here. It is in a green can. This product does not contain the same chemicals as the one he used in the article. But does have a POISON warning on the can about the contents and says that excessive inhalation of dust and/or vapors may be harmful.

1965 Chevy Stepside(Grandpa's Old Blue) and (July 2015 Shop Build!)(2020, the Saga Continues)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=372424

The LST Challenge:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post7812257

Korbin's 1st Square: "Sunburn"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=418618

1985 GMC Sierra: "White Trash", Korbin's 2nd now...
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=632305

Henry - 1984 Chevrolet, Owen's 1st Square

Last edited by aggie91; 08-05-2009 at 08:34 AM. Reason: added last part about chlorinated...
aggie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 12:00 PM   #13
LostMy65
But Found Her 25yrs Later!

Link in linked thread needs updating.

66 C20 Service Truck:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=428035
LostMy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 01:36 PM   #14
T and S

Not trying to hijack: I had a close call, was just using B.C. in a heated garage. Fumes interacted with my kerosene heater - near same result.
Old 02-04-2016, 02:02 PM   #15
The Rocknrod

And use a resperator when your pouring threaded sockets and using Tricoethylene.
(crickets...)
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote