The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-09-2003, 01:28 PM   #1
PHOENIX

(2) alternator system

I have been thinking about making my truck a 2 alternator system. Im going to buy the smaller alt pulley and see if that helps for now. When my lights, fan, and sterio is on my lights dim with the bass, unless I have a good rpm going.

I would like to have a harder hitting sterio system and maybe add airbags later. If I added air bags I would like to have electric compressors to fill the tanks, I dont want a belt driven compressor. So If the truck ran off the first alternator and I ran the fan, sterio, and compressor off the second alternator every thing would be all good right? Would I need another battery or would I only be able to use those accessories when the truck is running (If so that wouldnt bother me)?
Old 01-09-2003, 02:00 PM   #2
BigRed

I have seen setups like these but I think they all had a second battery. Otherwise, if the truck wasn't running you wouldn't be able to run the stereo or compressor if they were on the second circuit.
Old 01-09-2003, 02:57 PM   #3
low 84

why not just run a high amp alternator. you can get 120's pretty easily or even higher ones if you really need it.

'05 1500 Crew Cab

RIP
'84 swb 5/7 drop, solid cammed 408 w/ fully ported dart heads, th350 w/ 10 inch hughes, 12 bolt w/ 3.73 richmonds and a locker
'80 swb 4x4 in progress: 7" lift, 350 th350/np205, d44 and 1.5" ORD tie rod, 14BFF w/discs , armored diff covers, 40" MTR's
low 84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2003, 04:20 PM   #4
LOHRTBT
BeWarE tHe eViL CrAnkTOe!

just the alt wont do it. I have a 150 amp and it still does it even when under rpms....its just overloading the capacity of the battery...it needs some energy storage...thus the need for the second battery.

- 1986 Chevy SWB - Stock for now
- 1986 Chevy Custom SWB *Stolen 6/26/05*
- 1985 Chevy SWB SOLD
- 1999 T/A Some mods
www.cardomain.com/id/ramairdave

AIM Screenname - Jester84
LOHRTBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2003, 04:32 PM   #5
PHOENIX

If I put a blow through box in my truck I will be putting in atleast (2) 1000 watt 12's in the box and will need atleast 1200 watt 2 channel to push em.

Dave do you have an overdrive pulley on your alternator?

I currently have a 100 amp alt with stock pulley. Im gonna order an overdrive pulley soon.
Old 01-09-2003, 04:54 PM   #6
LOHRTBT
BeWarE tHe eViL CrAnkTOe!

NAH....no overdrive pulley...I dont think you should go with them...Never have really , never will...unless I am supercharged!! lol
I say just get your alt upgraded like I did...cost me $40 to take it from a 80amp to 150-160 amp and all rebuilt with new regulator. Buy another battery or in my case two optima red tops and make a tray or put them in the bed like I amthinking about doing and get yourself a big capacitor for the bass absorbtion. I need to do this bad...maybe soon. If I do, I will post pics.

- 1986 Chevy SWB - Stock for now
- 1986 Chevy Custom SWB *Stolen 6/26/05*
- 1985 Chevy SWB SOLD
- 1999 T/A Some mods
www.cardomain.com/id/ramairdave

AIM Screenname - Jester84
LOHRTBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2003, 05:05 PM   #7
PHOENIX

If I added another battery I would by the aux. battery tray and install it opposite of the stock battery. I have a red top optima now and I love it. Its a good battery for sure. For some reason I dont trust blasting caps/capacitors. Im scared Ill spend all that money on one and then have it fail just out of warranty. I dont know why I feel that way, im weird I guess.

Plus if the tool box was under my bed like I talk about in the other post it would be another good place for a battery or two.

EDIT:
Why shouldnt I go with an overdrive pulley?