The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-06-2009, 02:35 PM   #1
BCOWANWHEELS

info on quick ratio steering boxes for everybody

i called lares co. today to inquire about converting my p/s box off my 72 2wd. they told me that they could make the box less turns lock to lock BUT the box will NOT turn as sharp as the stock steering box. so i,am going to put a stock box (reman ) on my truck. cost for them to reman a box is 200.00 exchange and they would change it to whats called ( quick ratio ) for same . but who would want a box that will not turn sharp ?
FYI
BOB
I BELIEVE IN JOHN 3:16
BCOWANWHEELS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 05:08 PM   #2
Mondo

Re: info on quick ratio steering boxes for everybody

I've gone thru 3 steering boxed (standard, quick ratio and variable) finally went with an Early Classics variable rate steering box from "Redhead. The best of both worlds as the ratio quickens the more you turn it (not twitchy on freeway and good for turning into driveway). Redhead has not developed slack like the other rebuilt ones I had.
I don't think the steering box is the limit for how sharp you can turn (which is not very for our trucks).
Mondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 10:11 PM   #3
BCOWANWHEELS

I was just relaying what a leading steering box remanufacturer told me. Lares and a1 cardone supply boxes to all major aiuto supply stores.
Bob
I BELIEVE IN JOHN 3:16
BCOWANWHEELS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 11:07 PM   #4
70cst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondo View Post
I've gone thru 3 steering boxed (standard, quick ratio and variable) finally went with an Early Classics variable rate steering box from "Redhead. The best of both worlds as the ratio quickens the more you turn it (not twitchy on freeway and good for turning into driveway). Redhead has not developed slack like the other rebuilt ones I had.
I don't think the steering box is the limit for how sharp you can turn (which is not very for our trucks).
Thats what WES (Classic Hearbeat) sales ...I bought my Redhead quick ratio off WES and it is installed on the Circuit Rider.

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 11:34 PM   #5
blakeaz33

I put a PS box off of a 79 2wd truck on my 68, had a much quicker steering ratio and was quite noticable. Bolted up no problems and $20 at pick a part in Phoenix.
blakeaz33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 07:19 AM   #6
hchad18

I put one of an 83 onto my 71 supposed to be less turns lock to lock. $130 reman at autozone with core. If you get the earlier year ones pre 80 they have the same fittings. If not you have to get adapters.
hchad18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 07:33 AM   #7
Chada

I just installed a box from Lares on my 70 this week. I got it off ebay direct from Lares for under 170 with no core charge.
Chada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 08:10 AM   #8
eightbanger
454 MAKES IT ROAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCOWANWHEELS View Post
i called lares co. today to inquire about converting my p/s box off my 72 2wd. they told me that they could make the box less turns lock to lock BUT the box will NOT turn as sharp as the stock steering box. so i,am going to put a stock box (reman ) on my truck. cost for them to reman a box is 200.00 exchange and they would change it to whats called ( quick ratio ) for same . but who would want a box that will not turn sharp ?
FYI
BOB
Thanks!! I didn't know that....what you gain lock to lock, you loose in the cornering or responsiveness. I had planned to do this but I may leave well alone, I have always been happy with how surprisingly agile the Truck is when I start throwing her round corners, and I don't want to loose that. I know it was not built to handle like a BMW...but it do'es way better than I would have ever expected for the size and weight.
But that's because it's a......CHEVROLET

An American living in a British body.

1971 Chevy Cheyenne 10 454

"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty" - Thomas Jefferson

No more pain.
03.12.60 -- 12.28.10

http://www.youtube.com/Eightbanger

Last edited by eightbanger; 08-07-2009 at 08:10 AM.
eightbanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 04:58 PM   #9
Lugnut64052
Middle-aged Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCOWANWHEELS View Post
FYI
BOB
I always understood that to be a variable ratio box. ie-- turns "normally" in the middle, but then the rate speeds up the closer you get to the locks.

Anyone have any sold year and/or application information on when variable ratio boxes and quick ratio boxes were used?

Check out the site's Truck Tech FAQ.
Be a site supporter.
My more-or-less pathetic build thread.

Board members I've met:
------------------------------
Longhorn Man
Dieselwrencher
jholley
big mike71
Lugnut64052 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 10:25 PM   #10
basemodel67
Factory Strippers Rule!

Is there a such thing as a quick ratio manual steering box? And, yes, I do have strong arms.
basemodel67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 12:33 AM   #11
70cst

http://www.classicheartbeat.com/cata...ck%20Ratio.htm

Here is what I bought from WES ...

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!

Last edited by 70cst; 08-08-2009 at 12:33 AM.
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 12:24 PM   #12
hoovers71

hey 70 cst

how did that box from Wes work out? I am getting ready to buy one myself.

I know this is a thread from the past, but just wondered.

thanks
hoovers71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 10:34 PM   #13
68c10airstream

Hi Bret, i auto schooled in the late 70's and i believe the variable ratio came out in 1975 as a guess, as i went to school in 77,78. I put a 1985 2wd in my 68 2wd, works great. Variable ratio is about 17/1 ratio in the center, 1/4 turn right and left. After that it goes to about 13/1 for the rest of the turn. 3 1/2 turns lock to lock. If you salvage yard shop open the glove box and look for variable ratio printed on the option list. If you remove the line on the organ donor truck and it's the wrong style, just get the box, lines, fitting in the back of the pump, rag joint and stick with 2wd to 2wd, 4wd to 4wd. This variable ratio came about because of corvettes with a super quick ratio were twitchy and too sensitive at high speed. I have read an article that states variable ratio is for parking, not so! If you want to experiment if you remove the top 4 bolt cover (play with a core) the shaft you look at looks like your 3 longest fingers with the middle one being longer, were as a fixed ratio all fingers are the same length. Stay away from 1996 and newer as they went to an easy steer box and i feel too much assist as you can turn it with your pinky. Good luck, Brian Fuller
68c10airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 11:19 PM   #14
hoovers71

Thanks Brian!
hoovers71 is offline   Reply With Quote