The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-07-2009, 09:22 PM   #1
SOON2BLAZE
Account Suspended

exhaust choices

I used the search function and came up empty, but I know this has been covered. I have a stock 454 and stock exhaust mainifolds in the 2wd blazer. Not much room to work with, but want to hook up something like 2 flowmaster 50 series. For more power should I:
1. H pipe, if so how far back is ideal?
2. X pipe, if so how far back is ideal?
3. 2 2 1/4" into 1, 3" out
4. just run a good old dual set up with 3"

any help would be appreciated. thanks
SOON2BLAZE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 11:41 PM   #2
'72customdeluxe

Re: exhaust choices

2.5" duals into a single 3 if you engine is really mild. Use a Flowmaster merge pipe as they are the best sounding and scavenging y. The smallish single will promote even better torque from the 454. If the motor is hotter, you may want 2.5" duals into a 3.5" y. Everyone on here is going to tell you to run duals, just because. H-pipes make it sound balanced, but don't help too much with scavenging. And x-pipe helps scavenge best up top. Y pipe imo for a street truck. I'm going to eventually run a 3" single out in front of the left rear tire on my 350. You don't really need a mega flowing exhaust being that you have restrictive stock manifolds anyway..
Old 08-08-2009, 02:59 AM   #3
mclairmo

I have a 396 with full length headers, 2.5 inch duals, H-pipe and Walker Super Turbo mufflers and it works fine. I think a Y pipe is too restrictive, IMO.
mclairmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 04:26 PM   #4
'72customdeluxe

No.. It's all in the size of the pipe you use. One pipe scavenges the cylinders better than a partial connection at an h or x pipe, because the two share the same pipe. This is they style of y i'm talking about http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FLO-Y250350/
Duals sound better when connected, not seperate. But when you're trying to build torque and save weight and space, a single is the way to go. A factory style y will be restrictive though.. And if you're really worried about restriction you wouldn't go anywhere near those turbo mufflers. Get a straight through Dynomax ultra flo or a big Magnaflow. Flow like straight pipe and are nearly silent on duals at cruise.