The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-08-2009, 11:49 AM   #1
bigbluebowtie

Newbie 1st post, 1972 k10 burb

Hello all,

Glad there is a site for these burbs. I am very mechanically inclined, but know nothing about body work what-so-ever. I am considering the purchase, well trade, for a 1972 half ton burb 4x4. It has some rust, a lot of rust, and I was wondering if it is worth the hassle of even purchasing the burb because of the rust issue. Every rocker is rusted in some aspect front to back. Too much bondo from previous owner, looks like crap. Buuut, it is doable and I really like the 67-72 burbs. I have a 68 short box step side 2wd I am restoring at this moment. Thank in advance for any advice. Glad to be here!

BBB (Josh)
bigbluebowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 09:05 PM   #2
JoeKan

Re: Newbie 1st post, 1972 k10 burb

Hey Josh!
Welcome from Kansas! I'm learning here too so I won't be able to help you much but I would love to find a decent 72 burb. When I do, I'm going to jump all over it. If you think you can learn to weld and do body work, I say go for it!
Enjoy the day,
Joe
JoeKan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 06:05 PM   #3
Long Roof
Old School, New Style

I'm in the same boat as you, mechanically inclined but not in body work. Both my Jimmy and Sub were bought with very good bodies so I could concentrate on the mechanicals. It has worked well for me like this.

I love the ambition of some old truck buyers but I often see that these people end up in over their heads and the project stalls. My recommendation is to start with something you can drive while working on it a little at a time rather than starting with a full on rebuild.

Just my $0.02. Good luck.
- 96 Chevy Impala SS - mainly stock
- 98 Chevy Tahoe LT 4x4 - all stock
The Bad:
- 86 Chevy Suburban 1/2T 4x4 - winter beater
The Ugly:
- 72 Chevy Suburban 1/2T 2wd - parts truck
Long Roof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 08:31 AM   #4
bigbluebowtie

Thanks for the support guys. I can weld, but the body part is still greek to me. I have welded on derby cars and exhaust for years, but they don't need to look great, they are just functional. I think if I talk real nice to a couple of body shop guys, maybe they can teach me. But for now, I agree with you Long Roof. I think I need to find something a little more sound in the body. I think I could replace floor pans as the welds don't need to be too pretty, but the outside is the part that scares me. I passed on the burb, too much money for too much work. I shall keep my eye open for one. Oh well, back to the drawing board.

BTW, I have an LT1 and 4l60e in a cadillac fleetwood right now and I think I am going to put it in my 1968 swb step side 2wd pickup...good winter project. I have tried to sell my cadillac forever. No one wants to buy it, soooo, this sounds like a good swap. After the motor and tranny are gone from the caddy, I may drop in a 500 ci caddy motor and make it a true cadillac.
bigbluebowtie is offline   Reply With Quote