The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-08-2009, 05:00 PM   #1
epashhans

Wheel bearing

I think my right wheel bearing is toast on my 67 2wd with drums. Are there any good diy's write ups for something like this? I can't find one on here even after i searched around. Its been a few years since I was shown how and would like to know a bit more before I tear into it. Will I need to have a place drive out the old race and a new one put in? Or can I do that at home?
Old 08-08-2009, 06:30 PM   #2
epashhans

Re: Wheel bearing

Well, I dug in anyway...got this far...

How does the inner bearing come off? Should it slide off? Will I need a puller? Heat? I have circled it in red...its stuck right now...I can't budge it.

Also, there was no hole to adjust my brakes...luckily they came off. And there was no hole to knock out. Is this common? It kinda looks like there is a place on the backing plate, but it doesn't line up with the adjuster wheel.

And here is a pic of the truck in all her glory!

Old 08-08-2009, 06:39 PM   #3
epashhans

Am I going to need something like this to get it off?

Old 08-08-2009, 06:58 PM   #4
passthebuck
Sisyphus was my mentor!

The wheel bearing should just come off by hand. Is it stuck on there? You'll probally have to destroy it to get it off. The puller might work. I used a hammer & chisel to get one off many years ago on the roadside. There is no hole in the backing plate, but there is a lanced-area on the factory drum that needs to knocked out. The new bearing should come with a new race that you'll have to install in the hub. I hammer mine out with a drift & tap the new ones in with a hammer & socket.
-TWO 1967 GMC 910's. One with L6/3-on-the tree and the other with 355 w/435hp & a 700r4.
-a 2013 Honda Civic as my "sensible" car
passthebuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 10:08 PM   #5
BCOWANWHEELS

Most likely the spindle is worn alot and has a lip on it. Use 2 screw drivers on each side or 2 crows feet on each side and it should pry off. There is no room behind the bearing to use that puller you posted a pic. Of. Be on the lookout for a better spindle. When you get bearing off you,ll feel the bottom of the spindle and thats where the wear will make a lip. Spindles always wear out on the bottom because thats where all the pressure is.
I BELIEVE IN JOHN 3:16
BCOWANWHEELS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 12:19 AM   #6
epashhans

Got it done. The puller worked great...it didn't have to work very hard...just slipped right off. The spindle was in good shape too. She rolls smooth now! What a difference it made.

I still couldn't find any place to knock out for the brake adjuster, although I got it adjusted just about perfect when I put it all back together. I marked on the backing plate where it is and I think I am going to drill a hole and grommet it when I am done. I couldn't find the lanced place drum like passthebuck said. Anybody done anything different?
Old 08-10-2009, 12:22 PM   #7
El Jay
Gone to greener pastures

It's not uncommon for aftermarket (imported) drums to NOT have the knock out on them.

"Ah women. They make the highs higher and the lows more frequent." Friedrich Nietzsche

"Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day." Harry S. Truman

GUN CONTROL: Never having to say, "I missed you."

Always fire two warning shots into your attacker's chest area before putting a bullet between his eyes. Paraphrased from Louis Awerbuck
El Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 12:29 PM   #8
epashhans

Hmmm...this one looked like it was from a salvage yard...had "67 c-10 Chevrolet" in yellow paint pen written on it. Hard to say though. I think when I get some time I am going to try drilling a hole for access in the backing plate and then sealing it with a grommet like I said previously. Think that would work? Anyone forsee any problems with that?
Old 08-10-2009, 06:43 PM   #9
mclairmo

My new drums have no adjuster hole or even a knock out for it. However, my old factory drums had adjuster holes in them. I would not drill holes in the backing plate if the factory put them in the drum. It's a lot easier to adjust through a hole in the drum itself rather than having to go in from behind through the backing plate.
mclairmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 07:01 PM   #10
epashhans

Thanks mclairmo. Anyone have a picture of a drum with the correct hole for adjustments? Something I could see and copy on my drums....
Old 08-10-2009, 07:03 PM   #11
shaneo2112RUSH

good to hear you got it back and running!!! I had a hard time with mine when i replaced the brakes!! the drum had a large lip to where i could not even move the drum back to get to the adjuster! so i had to torch a notch in the drum. come to think of it!! i dont even think the drums had ever been replaced scince it was new from factory!!
Old 08-10-2009, 07:12 PM   #12
epashhans

Yep, back and running. The other one seems good, but I am going to do it as well...just for good measure...and I haven no idea whats its previous history is. I hear ya shaneo...luckily the brakes are pretty new and I could slip it and jocky it enough to not damage anything but get to the adjuster. Tedious work! Glad I didn't have to torch anything though!
Old 08-12-2009, 02:47 AM   #13
mikey531

This is my front drum, it had the oval hole already there to adjust the brakes. You can see it near the bottom of the drum, I can take better pictures Saturday
Attached Images

mikey531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 03:02 AM   #14
mclairmo

That's the same position and shape of the hole in my original drums.
mclairmo is offline   Reply With Quote