The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-09-2009, 11:20 AM   #1
taclem

6 cyl split manifold

I have a '66 short stepside with a 292 and I am trying to find a way to get the same exhaust sound I had on a early 235. I live in an area that is cold about 7-8 months of the year and need the carb heat the stock manifolds have. But, I want the split type sound of a dualed out 6 cyl. Any ideas on how to do this and still maintain the heat I need for the carb? Does anyone make something that will work?
Thanks taclem
taclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 11:36 AM   #2
ol Curt

Re: 6 cyl split manifold

You could go to Fenton headers, Offy or Clifford water heated intake and do it that way. Not sure of any others. If there was a way, the guys at www.inliners.org or www.stovebolt.com would know.
ol Curt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 01:01 PM   #3
daverod
SSN 706

Quote:
Originally Posted by taclem View Post
I have a '66 short stepside with a 292 and I am trying to find a way to get the same exhaust sound I had on a early 235. I live in an area that is cold about 7-8 months of the year and need the carb heat the stock manifolds have. But, I want the split type sound of a dualed out 6 cyl. Any ideas on how to do this and still maintain the heat I need for the carb? Does anyone make something that will work?
Thanks taclem
When you figure it out let me know. I just cut my cherry bomb off because it was worried I put it on the wrong way. It was on right. Welded it back on. I do wish I was alittle louder.
daverod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 01:08 PM   #4
Vernski

Hey taclem try www.cliffordperformance.net they have water heated intakes and headers. In the old days we used to split the stock exhaust manifold. If your good at brazing or now days you can use nickel rod. cut a slot in the manifold insert a block off plate braze or weld it in. Then cut a hole for your exhaust outlet and there you go. You can split either end depending on witch way you can route the pipe the best. Most I have seen were on the back of the manifold. I used a drill and drilled a series of holes in a circle the size needed for the outlet knocked it out and cleaned it up with a small grinder stone on a drill. But that's allot of work and these days the water heated intake and headers work fine. Cast iron headers last longer and don't warp or rust out, just my opinion though. Enjoy!---Vernski

Last edited by Vernski; 08-09-2009 at 01:12 PM.
Vernski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 01:35 PM   #5
daverod
SSN 706

Thanks for the link. The more I read about these 292's the more I want to keep mine.
daverod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 06:39 PM   #6
MXmaniac

You can split the stock manifold. Welding cast iron is tricky though, as Vernski said. From what I've read the trick is to preheat the entire part in an oven, stick weld it with a rod that has a high nickel content, and then you need the entire part to cool very very slowly or it will crack(put it back in the oven or bury it in sand).

I'd use either some tube headers or the stovebolt cast headers if you want a vintage look, then a water-heated intake and a 4bbl carb. But that's just me. I've always wanted to try splitting the stocker though...
'97 F*rd Mustang GT(4.6L, 5-speed) Daily Driver
If I only wanted two pedals I'd have bought a bicycle.
MXmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 06:52 PM   #7
ol Curt

You can also check out Tom Langdon at www.stoveboltengineco.com/

Dave, when I had some chambered mufflers on mine with headers the neighbors always gave me the look. If you want that OLD time sound those things are VERY raspy! I tried to give mine away when I decided to go back to stock, but after no takers they went to the scrap. They are nothing more than a set of chambers that go straight thru. They are the mufflers that were used on 60's Corvettes as the side pipes. Go to this place http://www.mamotorworks.com/ Tell them you want the mufflers only. They are probably around 40-45 bucks each. Be prepared to get Corvette part catalogs in the mail for a couple years after.

Splitting manifolds in the more modern era is much more difficult as the doggon things crack on you. They make great shorty headers now days and nice polished intakes. I had an offy intake with two single barrels and later a single four barrel on mine.
ol Curt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 01:25 PM   #8
Vernski

http://www.34-chevy.com/

Here is another link to intake & headers.---Vernski
Vernski is offline   Reply With Quote