The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-10-2009, 12:20 AM   #1
Timmy Berk

MSD Igition w, adjustable vacum advance

I put in the HEI from MSD, their street fire product, after jackin with new wires all day it dawned on me I dont have a clue how many degrees of advance I need to make the adjustment anybody know off hand... I have a later model aftermarket 350 with a TH700R4 and a 205 t-case (just found that out today) Oh yeah all wrapped up in a pretty 72 cheyenne Super K20
Timmy Berk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 07:01 PM   #2
mclairmo

Re: MSD Igition w, adjustable vacum advance

Not sure what your question is. Which advance are you talking about? There is "initial advance" "mechanical advance" and "vacuum advance". Initial should be around 10 degree BTD, mechannical should alreayd be set close by MSD and same for vacuum advance. You can modify mechanical advance but you need to be at the track, on a dyno or on a deserted road to really do it right. I tune mechanical advance for best acceleration. As for vacuum advance, I always add vacuum advance until engine pings and then back it off to last position where it did not ping.
mclairmo is offline   Reply With Quote