The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-10-2009, 08:38 PM   #1
JoeKan

Purchasing a car long distance

Okay...here it goes. I found a very nice looking burb that I know it was meant to be mine. The burb is about 500 miles away. I can hire a car hauler to pick it up for me cheaper than for me to go get it (car hauler, fuel, loss of day's wages, etc..). I've talked to the guy and we've agreed on the price and everything was going fine until it came time to discuss how to pay the guy.
I want to send a certified check but he says that can be a scam. He wants me to wire him the money (he'll pay for the fee) through a department store. I don't like the smell of this. I really want this burb but I'm not going to be the fool.
What can you guys suggest to me that we can have a happy transition?
Thanks in advance,
Joe
JoeKan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 08:41 PM   #2
71swb4x4

Re: Purchasing a car long distance

You can wire the money through your bank. That would be just as safe to you as sending the cashier's check. Stop in to your bank and ask them about wire transferring money.

As far as the burb, have you had someone look at it for you? If not, DO NOT send him any money. Get a boardmember to go look at the burb for you. Do not buy it site-unseen. I have been saved from some horrible purchases by having boardmembers look the vehicle over. There is so much that can be hidden when only viewing pictures.
Old 08-10-2009, 08:59 PM   #3
JoeKan

Thanks! I'll make a new post to see if there are any board members in the Denver area.
Old 08-10-2009, 09:09 PM   #4
rwolf9653
more ideas than money

Speaking as someone who bought a non-existant camaro by wire transfer, I say it doesn't sound good to me. Through my bad experience I do have a "slanted" view, but I would rather drive down with cash in hand and make the decision there. Think of all the money you could save yourself if it isn't what you thought.

1948 Chevy 3100 5 window
1966 Chevy C30 Dually
1967 Chevy K10
1972 Chevy K20
1972 Chevy C10
1972 Chevy K5 Blazer
1987 Chevy V10
2003 Chevy Suburban
rwolf9653 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 09:14 PM   #5
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

i say drive over and look at it. Worst case, you've burned a real long day and have a cool wagon to drag home.
best case, you find there is no wagon, but just got out of a scam.

Either way is a win in my book.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 09:51 PM   #6
fine69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
i say drive over and look at it. Worst case, you've burned a real long day and have a cool wagon to drag home.
best case, you find there is no wagon, but just got out of a scam.

Either way is a win in my book.
^What Andy said. I have had good luck wiring money from my bank. I just did it. BUT, if you are feeling uneasy now, don't do it.

A day and a half of driving is peace of mind.

What about finding out if there is a board member local who can go look at it for you?
A) you find out if it exists
B) you get a report on condition from a impartial party.
C) if the guy(seller) is honest he won't mind.

If you have any other questions PM me and i will give you my number so you can discuss it with me. I have bought countless vehicles over internet(ebay,here). I will be glad to help you out if i can.

Got a link to the burb?

Board member #6

Last edited by fine69; 08-10-2009 at 09:52 PM.
fine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 09:55 PM   #7
mclairmo

Never buy site unseen, unless you are paying under $100 for it. You must go there and see it in person and pay in cash when you pick it up. Having a board member inspect is second best. Don't wire any money or send any money until you see it or have it inspected. If you don't want the truck, seller may still keep your money that you already paid.
mclairmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 10:43 PM   #8
Skirkpat

I am going to Utah through Denver in a couple of days, if you want to pay for some Gas I could pick it up on the way back, I could also take the money and pay the guy if that is an option, or bust his knee cap if it is a turd? See if a deposit will hold it?

oh, and a 2001 HD 2500, 8.1 Allison Shortbed 4 Door
Skirkpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 05:51 AM   #9
cdowns

only 500miles is an easy road trip to make on any weekend. that way theres no doubt as to what you're buying as far as condition etc.

paying by certified bank check, you can give the guy the number off the check and his bank can verify that the check is legit .. i just did this when i purchased my latest bike and transaction went smoothly
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 05:54 AM   #10
chuckmc8
It's alsways something.....

Paypal the guy $100 to hold it. Take the remainder of the CASH, your pistol and a friend and go and pick it up.
Or just leave it there. Book it...........btdt
chuckmc8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 06:40 AM   #11
big_al_71

I don't know how much money you are spending but if I was you I will either fly or drive to the place see it in person touch it feel it rub it if it is what I want I will the buy it and take it to a transport company. Five hundred miles is almost nothing, I would bring my trailer use some sick time bring a buddy with me and bring my new purchase home with me.
There have been a bunch of misshaps lately about buying something not as described so I would not want to be a statistic.
Let us know how you make out.

Sylvester's build thread >>>http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ht=big+rebuild
big_al_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 07:33 AM   #12
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

The fact that he wanted the money wired to a department store (instead of a bank) make the hair on the back of my neck stand up.

Remember too once you wire the money even if its with a bank, the seller will have your money and still have the title ( in his name) to your Burb.

Like some of the guys said 500 miles is not far to do, especially on a weekend !!

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

" Circumsatances Do Not Change Responsibility "

" The Sky is not the Limit, Your Mind is." Marilyn Monroe ..

RIP Charlie Watts 1941 - 2021
Already Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 08:26 AM   #13
lks dcvn

I have done it - however - it was from board members here - who have a track record of honest and integrity.

My first 67-72 was the green 69 Blazer (now sitting in my garage) - that was from a board member.

I talked for weeks with the owner, the previous owner and then sent somebody from the 94-96 Impala SS board over to look at it and give me an opinion/rundown.

Without a third party to intervene with a 'real world view' - your purchase will be tainted and the only thing you have to look forward to is disappointment.

I picked up a truck for a few hundred off the Bay last year and the guy offered to delivery it for gas $ - I was thinking I was going to be ahead on another project by getting it and parting the rest - I just got done parting it out a few months ago - it was that far gone to bother with.

He talked up and down about how clean and how little rust it has - sadly his interpretation of no rust and mine were different.

His definition - metal is gone from rusting away = no rust
My (normal) definition - metal is still there and clean.

Needless to say - when his trailer showed up I was disappointed - I got the truck for a song and paid for some gas for his delivery. I broke even on that stupid truck after all was said and done, but that didn't include my time to part it out and sell all the parts...or keep looking at it in the yard taking up my space.

I drove up to check out a SWB truck in upper MI a few years ago---another no rust - and all sheet metal was replaced type deals...

I got there and the whole thing was pop riveted together - he didn't lie - since he said all the rust was gone and new metal was there - but he didn't share how it was installed...that was a waste of 4 hours drive time and gas. It will always boil down to your standard of quality of work - if I look at something and wonder why it wasn't done right the first time when I have to fix something - that makes me wonder what else is messed up on the truck/car.

Some people selling things are more interested in getting the money and running that worrying about their 'word' or their reputation as a scumbag.

I tend to buy my stuff on here because I have found that people on here are some of the most trustworthy people who are willing to help out others. I am not saying this is the rule (as there are jerks out there)...

Have somebody check it out for you - I have asked people in OH, NC, TX, WA, etc. to check out stuff for me. Most have said 'sure'...just to help out another member. If it was near me - I would help you out.
lks dcvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 09:10 AM   #14
danw210
69 K20

Just adding on to say that I bought my 69 on Ebay about 6 years ago, California truck, no rust, good runner, yadda yadda yadda. I got the guy to send me dozens of pictures and it looked good. I bought it without going out there to see it and had a freight company transport it. When it arrived we had to push it of the trailer and it wasn't all that I expected. I definately overpaid but I only blame myself. Don't make the same mistake. Like the others said, 500 miles is not far and roadtrips are usually fun and relaxinig. I made an 1100 mile roundtrip in a day, a long day. If you have doubt about the character on the other end of the deal, don't send him money. GOOD LUCK!

Last edited by danw210; 08-11-2009 at 09:12 AM.
danw210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 09:38 AM   #15
Ace in the hole

I am going thru this right now, as we speak. I had my truck listed for sale and a guy in South Dakota wants it. About 1040 mile from me. He sent me $200 with paypal to hold it for him. I sent him a bunch of pics and answered all his questions, was up front with him about any known issues and now we are trying to set up a meeting half way to do the deal. He wants to pay me the rest in cashiers check at the meet and that's ok by me as long as I can get the check number and verify it with his bank before I leave. Hopefully all will go smooth, worst case I will drive 450 miles towing the truck and he will not show but at least I have $200 to help cover the cost. If I were the buyer, it's hard to say what I would do. I think if I wanted it bad enough I would find some way (independent party or going myself) to verify what the seller says. I am a guy who likes to take a man at his word but I have been burned too.
Ace in the hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 01:18 PM   #16
MrBlue

Unhappy Re: Purchasing a car long distance

I second the idea of having someone GO AND LOOK!
We bought our 72', as you say sight unseen. Looked at a lot of pictures. Kinda amazing how the camera angle makes things look better. I would have to admit that I most likely would have still bought the truck, but would have paid much less. Nothing like having to rework the PO better idea. (Wiring was a mess)
Good Luck
MrBlue
MrBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 01:59 PM   #17
chuckmc8
It's alsways something.....

Absolutely no way that I would drive 900 miles pulling a trailer for $200. I would have to have at least $1.50 per mile round trip that was non-refundable, even if he doesnt want the truck or doesnt show up. I would take him at his word also, but it is business....JHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace in the hole View Post
I am going thru this right now, as we speak. I had my truck listed for sale and a guy in South Dakota wants it. About 1040 mile from me. He sent me $200 with paypal to hold it for him. I sent him a bunch of pics and answered all his questions, was up front with him about any known issues and now we are trying to set up a meeting half way to do the deal. He wants to pay me the rest in cashiers check at the meet and that's ok by me as long as I can get the check number and verify it with his bank before I leave. Hopefully all will go smooth, worst case I will drive 450 miles towing the truck and he will not show but at least I have $200 to help cover the cost. If I were the buyer, it's hard to say what I would do. I think if I wanted it bad enough I would find some way (independent party or going myself) to verify what the seller says. I am a guy who likes to take a man at his word but I have been burned too.
chuckmc8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 06:08 PM   #18
JoeKan

Pm sent

Quote:
Originally Posted by skirkpat View Post
i am going to utah through denver in a couple of days, if you want to pay for some gas i could pick it up on the way back, i could also take the money and pay the guy if that is an option, or bust his knee cap if it is a turd? See if a deposit will hold it?
Old 08-11-2009, 07:15 PM   #19
jholley

Well,
Here is my long distance purchase that I didn't go look at before I paid for...

The first picture is actually the worst looking picture that the PO sent me. The rest of the pics he sent me were from very strategic angles. The truck was advertised as "only some minor surface rust on the doors and rockers" The second two pics are of the drivers side forward pillar and cab corner after I got done stripping all of the bondo and galvanized steel off of it. This was the good side, the passenger side, front fenders and doors where worse. I ended up parting out what I could and scrapping the rest then starting over. I can't say this loud enough EITHER GO LOOK AT IT YOURSELF OR SEND SOMEONE YOU TRUST!!!!! This was a $2000 lesson for me.
Attached Images

Jim

Garage fillers...

85 Chevy C10 Silverado LWB
07 Nissan Altima
2006 Mini Cooper S

Last edited by jholley; 08-11-2009 at 07:16 PM.
jholley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 07:19 PM   #20
jholley

Oh, and it was advertised as a 350/350, it had a 305 and a Turbo 350 that wouldn't hold fluid or shift and the brakes didn't work. The tailights didn't work either. Never again will I pay a dime for something without laying my hands on it first. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice....

Jim

Garage fillers...

85 Chevy C10 Silverado LWB
07 Nissan Altima
2006 Mini Cooper S
jholley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 07:28 PM   #21
mbgmike

If your smart you will go look at it without question. I don't know how many customers we have had bring in vehicles to fix they bought and got burnt buying long distance. Their have been too many good deals out there with them wanting you to pay with googlepay and all kinds of stuff. My Dad was a State and Federal Crime Investigator for over 40 years and I learned from him a long time ago.If it smells bad and seems to good to be true walk away. These adds are all over the country. The only vehicles We buy are from the Government or a well respected company or well known. Don't trust an appraisors opinion either. We had a 1968 mustang a customer bought on ebay from Ohio and we checked it out. He paid $14,000 for it. He had it appraissed to. We wanted $3700 to redo the floor and torque boxes in it that were covered up. He did not have the work done.The entire floor was gone accept for the top clam shell (convert). Go look at it or even fly and rent a cab if it is what you want. The best way is to ask someone here to look and take pics. We do that for guys.
mbgmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 08:01 PM   #22
WAJ

I bought my truck out of Johnstown CO. I was in Boston when i found it on auto trader. I had a guy in my dads Fairlane club who was local take a look at it for me. He said it was "all there solid truck" and that it looked good. It just so happened 2 weeks later i was going out to Conifer CO to drive my buddy's 1970 BMW 2002 back to Boston with him. Thats when i went and saw the truck in person and decided it was what i wanted. Getting that first opinion from a 3rd party was crucial in my decision to get the truck. Kansas to Denver is a great drive. Have a board member check it out and then based on there opinion you can either go get it or realize it was a waste of time.

sorry for the long story
WAJ is offline   Reply With Quote