The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-11-2009, 04:45 PM   #1
Byrne66

53 gas tank

I'm completely restoring my 53 5 window. I'm just about ready to take the cab off and was looking at the gas tank sitting next to the truck. I started thinking about moving it from behind the seat to under the body. I've seen it done before and was wondering if anyone had any advice good or bad on this process? Thx Byrne66
Byrne66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 05:31 PM   #2
sn33kyp3t3

Re: 53 gas tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrne66 View Post
I'm completely restoring my 53 5 window. I'm just about ready to take the cab off and was looking at the gas tank sitting next to the truck. I started thinking about moving it from behind the seat to under the body. I've seen it done before and was wondering if anyone had any advice good or bad on this process? Thx Byrne66

I've seen people use a cadilac tank, 60's mustang tank, and mid 80's s10 blazer tanks be used under the bed at the rear.

Some trucks were offered with a frame saddle tank on the passenger side, but I have not seen any repros for those.

I originally wanted a saddle tank so I could put a spare under the bed at the rear, but that wouldn't work for me later when I install a triangulated 4-link. So I'm going with a 84 blazer tank in the back. I haven't installed it yet, but its just a matter of making up some straps or a frame to mount it in under the rear cross member.

My plan is to put the fill neck/door on the rear of the driver side fender, we'll see how that goes.

Hope that helps some.
sn33kyp3t3 is offline   Reply With Quote