The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-11-2009, 08:02 PM   #1
fdbdw

edel 1406 pump linkage

anyone give me a leason on the pump linkage 1406 carb, never realy thought about it until I had it apart yesterday checking the floats, there are three different settings, obviousy you get more or less pump actuation depending on what hole you use but what determines which one should be used, thanks
fdbdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 09:52 PM   #2
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Re: edel 1406 pump linkage

Performance and response to your gas pedal. The more stroke that you have, the more fuel that you apply to the initial squirt into the carb. The shorter the stroke, the less fuel. Now think back a little, did you run this carb already? If so, did you have a bog when you were first accelerating or anytime you jumped into the gas on the highway? You may be able to solve that problem by changing the stroke on the accelerator pump, THEN AGAIN, you may make it worse when you change it. Remember you can always go back to the beginning---as long as you know what it was.

I found that for the most part, I solved my problems by changing the needles, springs for the needles, or the jets rather than working over the accelerator pump and I am running a 383 stroker motor. I started with a 600 CFM edelbrock and now I have stepped up to an Edelbrock AVS carb (650 CFM rating). There is a lot that can be done to the Edelbrock carbs OR the Carter AFB carbs (same carb body, manufacturer, and internal parts--believe me---I have a Carter that has all Edelbrock parts in it.

I purchased a variety of needles, springs, and jets so that I could make changes up and down from my original setting. I made a chart of the needles and jet combos, so that I know just exactly what orifice size I was going to and then experimented. I finally found the sweet spot and I stayed there. A lot of owners complain of the large surge in the transition from the primary throttle to the secondary throttle plates, but it can be controlled, with changes in jets and needles.
piecesparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 12:51 AM   #3
'68OrangeSunshine

Re: edel 1406 pump linkage

The middle hole on the 1406 accelerator pump arm is the "normal" setting. I think the top hole is more gas and the bottom hole is less gas. Also the "S" link should be an S not a Z when you're hooking it up.
Edlebrock sells an Accleterator Pump Kit p/n 1470[rod spring and cup gasket] but the cup is included in the 1477 Rebuild Kit.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote