The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-11-2009, 10:04 PM   #1
dccarpenter

Switching Back to 3 Speed from Auto

Hi all,

You folks have provided some great info to me both directly and I appeal to you all for help again.

I have a '67 GMC with the 305 v6 engine , the motor mounts are completely shot and it appears I have a transmission leak at the front seal(that's what a mechanic buddy told me).

Here are the two ideas I had for the truck,

#1 - I like driving standard better, this truck has been changed from a standard to a hydro-matic 3 speed automatic, the clutch pedal and column shifter are still in the truck. I'd like to put a standard back in it, even a 3 speed is fine, what transmissions would be a easy install match with the 305 v6? This would solve the transmission problem, than I could I have the motor mounts re-vulcanized via mail order to solve that problem.

#2 - Replace the engine with a small block 350(or any other engine I can find that still has parts made for it unlike my 305) and a new tranmission, I assume my transsmission options are relatively many if I go this route.

Is there any market for my old 305 v6 engine ? It runs great , no oil leaks, I'm just annoyed with not being able to get motor mounts and worried about finding parts if I have problems later on.

This truck is my daily driver so I'd really like to get it back to being reliable.
dccarpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 08:43 AM   #2
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.
Re: Switching Back to 3 Speed from Auto

If you are staying with a 3 speed, Saginaw transmissions should be plentiful. I'm sure there are some that disagree but for normal usage it should serve your purpose.

Also, depending on what you intend to do with the truck a 3 speed is okay. If you're looking for economy, maybe an overdrive (if you can find one) would be better. The thing you have to know is the ratio of your rear axle. If you have a "low" (always confusing here) ratio of say 3:54 or 4:11 a 350 will be revving up pretty high on the highway.

As for the engine you have now, I'd keep the 305 if you have a place to store it. I've read where some guys needed parts for these engines and are not being able to get them.
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote