The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-12-2009, 03:55 PM   #1
Gumby'sC20

Hawk Brake Pads

Hawk part number HB103F.590

Anyone running these on their trucks? I've used Hawk's HPS compound for all of my street cars with wonderful results. Wondering how they'd fair on a vehicle three times the size and weight.

Also, if I switch over and convert from 3/4 ton to 6 lug 1/2 (which means switching rotors) can I still use these pads and same calipers?
Gumby'sC20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 07:14 PM   #2
kxnomore

Re: Hawk Brake Pads

I have them and so far really like them. They were very thick and I had some trouble with them dragging at first, but after a little while they seemed to wear out a little and are going good now. They have a really good initial bite, and even with a heavy trailer on on very long steep grade they did not fade at all, whereas the 40 year old stock brakes did fade a little bit.

I've since heard Hawk makes a "super duty" pad that is better set up for a heavy truck though, and is supposed to have an even better initial grab and better fade resistance, so I'd try those if I have to buy pads again.

And I've swapped to the 1/2 ton set up before, and was able to re-use the 3/4 ton calipers, but have always bought new pads to match the new rotors. I've never tried to re-use pads on different rotors, so you might want to ask a brake guy what he recommends. But the calipers seemed to me (at least by fit and visual appearance) to be the same.

Good luck with the swap!
kxnomore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 08:16 AM   #3
Shon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby'sC20 View Post
Hawk part number HB103F.590
$55 shipped
contact me if you want them.
Old 08-13-2009, 10:28 AM   #4
Ackattack

I got a set of these for my 68 truck. Initially I got a set for the stock calipers, but now I'll be using LS1 F-body calipers and got a set to fit with those.

I've used these pads on a 99 Trans Am and they worked well. They should be good for our trucks as well.
Ackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 11:34 AM   #5
Mordachai
Fat Fendered Fleetside

I've used them on a number of vehicles with a good bit of increased performance.
the only thing I have noticed, is they seem to throw off brake dust that sticks like crazy. much harder to get off the wheel than the old asbestos/ style pads.
I've tried EBC and some other new brands too. I think it's the ceramic? in the newer brake compound that generates the 'sticky' brake dust.

radiused fiberglass fender project for 67-72
Mordachai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 11:43 AM   #6
Gumby'sC20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ackattack View Post
I got a set of these for my 68 truck. Initially I got a set for the stock calipers, but now I'll be using LS1 F-body calipers and got a set to fit with those.

I've used these pads on a 99 Trans Am and they worked well. They should be good for our trucks as well.
How involved is that swap? I bit of a braking performance gain too?
Gumby'sC20 is offline   Reply With Quote