The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-12-2009, 05:41 PM   #1
originalJD
James

Lower balljoint separation w/o balljoint separater??

I'm trying to separate my lower balljoints so that I can cut my springs down. They have never been apart before so ya, the're in there good. I've tried many, many idea's of my own and I just can't seem to get enough leverage to apply enough pressure to break it loose. I don't have the funds to buy a separater tool and can't find one anywhere. What would you do or what have you done to accomplish this?

Pics are always a good thing.

Thanks guys, James

http://s258.photobucket.com/albums/h...e_top_view_all
originalJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 06:18 PM   #2
Bazooka
Keepin it old school

Re: Lower balljoint separation w/o balljoint separater??

Big hammer. Whack the hell out of the spindle right beside the balljoint. Swing from the side. You have to hit it HARD.

Last edited by Bazooka; 08-12-2009 at 06:22 PM.
Bazooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 07:04 PM   #3
jonzcustomshop
1961 crewcab

do you have an oreillys parts store near by, they will loan the tool to you for free..

or how about leaving the spindle hooked up and just unbolting the control arm from the frame?
jonzcustomshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 09:07 PM   #4
Eagar1

You may consider creating a bolt to the floor plate, if your concrete is good, then just strategically wrap a chain around the a-arm, perhaps through the spring to protect the arm, then bolt the chain to the plate and jack up the tire, don't jack up the truck as you will just flip it over, you could bump it with a hammer after getting a little tension, but not too hard. The floor plate can be made recessed so you can drive over it too. I had one in my old shop, it came in very handy, I have yet to do one at my new house, and have had many a time where I wish I had it.
Eagar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 02:51 AM   #5
originalJD
James

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazooka View Post
Big hammer. Whack the hell out of the spindle right beside the balljoint. Swing from the side. You have to hit it HARD.
I'm gonna get the air hammer after it tomorrow. Not a whole lot of room to get a good swing at it with my BFH. So I'll use my crow bar and air hammer it an see if that works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonzcustomshop View Post
do you have an oreillys parts store near by, they will loan the tool to you for free..

or how about leaving the spindle hooked up and just unbolting the control arm from the frame?
I never thought of that. But the closest one is 30 miles away. If all else fail I'll keep that in mind. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagar1 View Post
You may consider creating a bolt to the floor plate, if your concrete is good, then just strategically wrap a chain around the a-arm, perhaps through the spring to protect the arm, then bolt the chain to the plate and jack up the tire, don't jack up the truck as you will just flip it over, you could bump it with a hammer after getting a little tension, but not too hard. The floor plate can be made recessed so you can drive over it too. I had one in my old shop, it came in very handy, I have yet to do one at my new house, and have had many a time where I wish I had it.
Sounds great. But I do all my work in my dirt, gravel, driveway behind my house. I'd give almost anything to have just a small garage or shop to work in.

Thanks guys for all the suggestions. I just got extremely frustrated and felt I had to post for more ideas on this.

http://s258.photobucket.com/albums/h...e_top_view_all
originalJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 09:20 AM   #6
BTCHN 1963

I use a couple of bolts and a coupler. I have two 1/2" course thread bolts connected with a coupler, which is a 1-1/2" long nut. I put a wrench on the coupler so it does not turn and back out the top bolt. My top bolt has the head built up with weld and then ground down with a grinder to give it a shallow cone on top. This helps keep it from walking off. I get it as tight as I can then if it does not pop, I give it a wack with a ballpeen hammer with the round end. It is what I use when I go to the junk yard. By the way the ballpeen is like 20 plus onces, big sucker. I think it would work better if it was fine thread but that was all I could find at Ace Hardware. Oh before I forget, I leave the ball joint nuts on but backed off to the end of the threads.
BTCHN 1963 is offline   Reply With Quote