The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-14-2009, 04:54 PM   #1
bigbadchev72
People know me

If you were gonna pay big money for a truck...........

First off I want to start this off that this is not a for sale thread in any way.

I recently picked up a 1967 c-10 4x4. So far I have installed a built 400sbc, rebuilt th400/208, It has a brand new 6" lift, 36" tsl super swamper radials, and corvette rallies, 80s 1/2ton running gear with discs up front and the power booster/mastercylinder from the same truck, also converted to power steering. My intentions are to fix it up really nice and then turn a big profit on it. Wanting to get $8000 plus when im done with it.

So I got a few Questions:

Are buddy buckets preffered by the masses?

What else would you be looking for?

would a modern cd player installed in the dash be a no go?

doors being cut for speakers?
1972 k/5 blazer CST 4X4 Crate 350, th350/205, dana44with trac-loc/14 bolt with detroit locker, 4 wheel discs 4.56s, 8" suspension lift using 73-87springs, 1" zerorate custom front crossmember, HAD CV drivelines and driveshaft e-brake, full cage, PRP seats, Full autometer gauges, 38x14.5x16 Toyo M/Ts, 16x10 Polished aluminum rockcrusher wheels

1967 longbox 4x4, Strong 400/400/208, 44/12bolt 4.10s, 6" lift, 35" Toyo M/Ts on corvette rally wheels

Last edited by bigbadchev72; 08-14-2009 at 05:03 PM.
bigbadchev72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 05:05 PM   #2
Mburgess57

Re: If you were gonna pay big money for a truck...........

For me personally I would rather have a modern CD in the glovebox and a factory radio in the dash. I wouldnt cut the doors I would put speakers in the kick panels. All that is so if a buyer wanted to do something else they still have the factory look and functions (mostly). I like both the two-tone colors but if it is lifted that much maybe shaving all the trim and going with a solid color would be good. And I dont really care for the buddy buckets, I think the bench seats look good if they are clean.

But then again I am still trying to save up the cash flow to get mine started.
Mburgess57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 05:14 PM   #3
mclairmo

If you want to sell it for profit, do not spend money on stuff like CD players and buddy buckets, you will not get your money back out of it. Keep it very basic and simple and focus on the cosmetics. It needs to be safe and drive ok but the cosmetics are what will sell the vehicle. New shiny red paint, nice classic wheels and tires and lots of exterior detailing will sell it. Never cut holes in anything. Don't make any permanent modifications because the new buyer may hate what you did. Personally, I would leave the stock AM radio in or cover the hole with an oem delete panel and let the new buyer worry about a stereo/CD player.
mclairmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 05:15 PM   #4
Ackattack

For the radio I'd look at one of the new 2 post radios that have MP3 player hookups

I know in my new G8 as well as my DD Jetta I've used the CD players like 2 times in each, but use my IPOD in them all the time.

As for the speakers I would avoid cutting on anything.
Ackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 05:21 PM   #5
bigbadchev72
People know me

Buddy buckets I can trade straight across for from a guy i know. My seat is in awesome shape, just wrong color, So i would have to have it re-upholstered anyway. Already got the cd player, came with the truck............installed in the dash. Trying to deceide if i need to get rid of it or not. also the doors were cut too. Just more stuff to add to the list of fixing i guess.

I personally like the look of the am radios in the dash. Thats what i did with my blazer and installed a cd player in the console. Just trying to build this to appeal to alot of people instead of what I think

It has no trim on it at all so i dont have to worry about that.
1972 k/5 blazer CST 4X4 Crate 350, th350/205, dana44with trac-loc/14 bolt with detroit locker, 4 wheel discs 4.56s, 8" suspension lift using 73-87springs, 1" zerorate custom front crossmember, HAD CV drivelines and driveshaft e-brake, full cage, PRP seats, Full autometer gauges, 38x14.5x16 Toyo M/Ts, 16x10 Polished aluminum rockcrusher wheels

1967 longbox 4x4, Strong 400/400/208, 44/12bolt 4.10s, 6" lift, 35" Toyo M/Ts on corvette rally wheels
Old 08-14-2009, 06:46 PM   #6
basemodel67
Factory Strippers Rule!

I'd get rid of that 208 t-case and put a 205 in. A wheeler would appreciate the upgrade. Or throw some chrome 30" rims on it and make it appealing to a different group of enthusiasts.
basemodel67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 07:34 PM   #7
mclairmo

I think the picture you will get is that everyone has a different idea of that they want in a truck and that trying to guess what your ultimate buyer wil want is a no win proposition. Build it as cheaply as possible if you are goin to sell it.
Old 08-14-2009, 07:43 PM   #8
bigbadchev72
People know me

I would like to get input from everyone to take a little from everyone, I realize there is no ONE truck for everyone, but would like to get a feel for what everyone looks for.

I Am only into this build a little under $2500 so far and dont mind spending a little to gain more. I love building these trucks and the experience i get from it. I have budgeted around $4000 and trade wherever i can I got a free paintjob comming for a trade in drywall work i did for a painter friend. Im not to worried about building it cheap as i can usually wheel and deal my way around.

If you were gonna go out and drop 8k or more on a truck, what would you like to see and what would you look out for?

Old 08-14-2009, 07:59 PM   #9
mclairmo

For $8K, I would need a rust free body, nice bed, good paint and body work, rebuilt engine, tranny and transfer case and maybe even rebuilt axles with lockers. Power steering and power disc would be needed, too. I would not care about much else. I don't need a/c, buddy seats, CD player, factory tach, fancy interior.
Old 08-14-2009, 08:07 PM   #10
big_al_71

Do not RIG anything, if you do something do something nice not extreme, like others said do not cut any holes.

Sylvester's build thread >>>http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ht=big+rebuild
big_al_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 08:20 PM   #11
bigbadchev72
People know me

No lockers or different transfercase, When this thing is done its gonna be pretty. It will be a street queen for sure.

I was thinking about houndstooth interior and from what i am gathering no radio, just the stock am in the dash.

My nieghbor offered 10k for my blazer and I had to turn it down, i love it too much. It is a looker though. I figured i could make it look pretty easily, but if someone is gonna pay good money for a truck its gonna be an enthusiast. So what other little details am i overlooking?

It does have body filler in it, but it is very minimal, shaved donor bed marker lights, small dings, stuff like that. the motor is fully detailed and assmbled with stainless bolts, tranny is rebuilt and fully detailed as well as the transfercase.

Old 08-14-2009, 09:27 PM   #12
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

[QUOTE=bigbadchev72;3465046] I figured i could make it look pretty easily, but if someone is gonna pay good money for a truck its gonna be an enthusiast.

Someone who likes the truck may buy it the way you build it.As an enthusiast i would rather buy one close to what i want and do the work myself.Keep in mind there are a lot of people enthusiastic about old rides but they don't have the knowledge or desire to build one.They want to buy one and usually expect it to be like their new(whatever X brand grocery getter) is for reliability and comfort.
The other thing to watch for is that most of the time a vehicle built for profit does not bring as much as the seller has in it.That's because of the above stated reason of people wanting to do them like they want.One guy may think not having lockers makes it useless,another may want A/C,super stereo and autyo butt wipe,so the differences in buyers may come to haunt you.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"

Last edited by PanelDeland; 08-14-2009 at 09:28 PM.
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 10:15 PM   #13
BossHogg69
motor exploder

new CD players look out of place in these rides, if you ask me. i understand the convenience factor of an mp3/cd player, but they don't look right next to all the other old looking stuff in the dash. if anything, go with a cd changer under the seat if you are gonna go that route.

Definitely don't cut holes in the doors for speakers. my '69 was previously restored by my grandfather and he cut two holes for 6x9's in each door because that was cool in 1990, and thats about the only mistake he made

buddy buckets are overrated (IMHO), unless the truck originally came with them. go with a nice houndstooth seat cover.

if i was spending 8k on an old truck, a nice interior, good or new paint/no rust, solid drivetrain (detailed) and good wheels/tires would be on my shopping list. to me it sounds like you're on the right track.

1969 Chevy CST/10 stepside, DART Big M/TREMEC Magnum Extreme/3.73's w/Detroit Truetrac
1965 Chevy Bel Air Wagon (daily driver), 327/TH350,10 bolt w/3.08's
1961 Chevy Bel Air Sport Coupe, ZZ454/M21/9" rear w/3.50's & Detroit Truetrac
2005 GMC 1500 ccsb 2wd, 6.0L/4L65e/3.73 G80
2006 GMC 2500HD ccsb 4x4, DMax LBZ/Allison 6spd/4.56's w/Detroit TrueTrac

Use the SEARCH function on this forum - it is your friend!!
BossHogg69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 10:45 PM   #14
unclewatts
70 Chevrolet=Obsession

Hey Bigbadchevy! As you can see it's all subjective. If you already got holes in the doors you might as well put some speakers in there to cover the holes. My feelings about it come pretty close to what Mclairmo and Big_al_71 said. If you're gonna paint it try for a stock looking paint scheme. As far as the buddy buckets go if you can get them on a straight across trade you might wanna do it as it's a popular way to go. It really all depends on the buyer. If you get a guy who compares everything to the SPID you're dead. If you get a guy (or gal) who just likes what you did with the truck, Fat city! I heartily agree that whatever you do be conservative. No racing stripes, No slamming, No tubbing out the rear inner fenders and No induction hoods and No hot rod accessories! I personally think that most people want a nice, stock looking really clean truck. Let them buy it and put their own personalized garbage on it. Just my $.02.

P.S. A lot of people drool over factory tachs!

I'm Just like my truck. Old, Ugly and Grouchy. Except my truck starts easily in the morning and doesn't smoke!

IT'S NOT EASY BEING GREEN! -Kermit the frog

1970 Chevrolet C-10 Longbed Stepside :
350, Muncie M20, 3.08 GM corp. positraction Forest green exterior/light green interior(Where all my money goes)

1996 Toyota Corolla (Parts runner)

Last edited by unclewatts; 08-14-2009 at 10:48 PM.
unclewatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 04:54 AM   #15
chuckmc8
It's alsways something.....

Thumbs up Re: If you were gonna pay big money for a truck...........

[QUOTE=bigbadchev72;3464797]First off I want to start this off that this is not a for sale thread in any way.

The BEST $$$ you could spend on this project is the $25 for a subscription to this board. It's paid off for me many times...........
chuckmc8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 04:32 PM   #16
boostat4500

If I were looking to spend 8k on one of these trucks it better look like it's got 16k into it. There's just too many out there, and they're so cheap to build, to justify otherwise. If it looks like it could be duplicated for 8k, why not just build one yourself and get everything exactly as you want. See what I'm getting at? Personally I would want to see something as far from stock as possible. I'm not into having the same thing as everyone else.
Old 08-15-2009, 04:49 PM   #17
prairewolf

for 8 k or more it would need to be.
1. lower mile unmolested/unmickey moused truck.
2. preferably one owner or bought from the first guy who is skimming off the top.
3. chevy or gmc

above is subject to change at a moments notice
Old 08-15-2009, 06:23 PM   #18
dan42

I would not put a lift on it - people will be a little suspicious as to how it was done.
dan42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 10:12 PM   #19
bigbadchev72
People know me

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan42 View Post
I would not put a lift on it - people will be a little suspicious as to how it was done.
The list i gave at the beginning is the way it is and what i am keeping so far. As far as being suspicious of how it was done, a look under the truck will reveal all the correct brakelines, steering, leaf springs and shocks.

Old 08-16-2009, 07:05 PM   #20
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
To give you some idea, I had this truck sold for 8k before I even got it finished... I told the guy that I had about a weeks worth of work left to do on it and in a week he was knocking on my door with the cash... It doesn't always work that way though.

LockDoc
Attached Images

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 07:58 PM   #21
mclairmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclewatts View Post
Hey Bigbadchevy! As you can see it's all subjective. If you already got holes in the doors you might as well put some speakers in there to cover the holes. My feelings about it come pretty close to what Mclairmo and Big_al_71 said. If you're gonna paint it try for a stock looking paint scheme. As far as the buddy buckets go if you can get them on a straight across trade you might wanna do it as it's a popular way to go. It really all depends on the buyer. If you get a guy who compares everything to the SPID you're dead. If you get a guy (or gal) who just likes what you did with the truck, Fat city! I heartily agree that whatever you do be conservative. No racing stripes, No slamming, No tubbing out the rear inner fenders and No induction hoods and No hot rod accessories! I personally think that most people want a nice, stock looking really clean truck. Let them buy it and put their own personalized garbage on it. Just my $.02.

P.S. A lot of people drool over factory tachs!
X2. I also think a factory tach is the one thing I can agree that most would want or appreciate. I also think a bone stock exterior is the best route. They always look nice with a stock exterior and the new buyer can then drop it or lift it and put their own wheels/tires on it to customize it to their taste. Also, red is most popular for resale, i.e, "Resale Red." However, the stock color is also always a safe choice.
Old 08-16-2009, 08:23 PM   #22
71swb4x4

Do the things that most people can't. For example, do the body work right. Have a quality paint job sprayed on. Get the seat reupholstered. Have the interior looking factory nice. Get it running well with NO leaks.
Anyone can cut the dash for a CD player, and the doors for speakers. Anyone can add tach and tilt. Those tings aren't that big of a deal. If you have money left over, and you feel you need to spice it up a bit, tach and tilt would be nice additions.
Most important of all, concentrate on the pieces of the puzzle that tend to be the most tedious and time consuming. Get those taken care of, and you will open the doors to the most buyers.