The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-14-2009, 08:53 PM   #1
Northern lights

gauging it

My truck is a 64. The PO chose to forgo the factory gauges in favour of some aftermarket ones mouted under the dash. I want to hook up the factory gauges so I can remove the underdash ones but have never been one for electrical issues so I need some help with how they should be connected. The aftermarket temp gauge uses a probe so I will need to replace thet with a sending unit, that's fine, but the factory gauge has 2 terminals that I assume are one to the SU and the other to ground. If so, which is which?. The Batt gauge also has 2 terminals but is this a volt or amp gauge?. does it matter?. The plugs are wired into a harness and go ????? somewhere. I don't LIKE to leave unused wire in the harness but, unless there is a way to trace where they go, I will have to just run fresh wires from the gauges to there respective destinations. Any help would be greatly appreciated. The oil gauge is OK, it's mechanical

Thanks
C
Northern lights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 09:06 PM   #2
ChiefRocka
Hollister, CA.

Re: gauging it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern lights View Post
My truck is a 64. The PO chose to forgo the factory gauges in favour of some aftermarket ones mouted under the dash. I want to hook up the factory gauges so I can remove the underdash ones but have never been one for electrical issues so I need some help with how they should be connected. The aftermarket temp gauge uses a probe so I will need to replace thet with a sending unit, that's fine, but the factory gauge has 2 terminals that I assume are one to the SU and the other to ground. If so, which is which?. The Batt gauge also has 2 terminals but is this a volt or amp gauge?. does it matter?. The plugs are wired into a harness and go ????? somewhere. I don't LIKE to leave unused wire in the harness but, unless there is a way to trace where they go, I will have to just run fresh wires from the gauges to there respective destinations. Any help would be greatly appreciated. The oil gauge is OK, it's mechanical

Thanks
C

The temp guage use one term for the SU and one for the 12 volts, not ground. The SU sends a 'ground' signal to the guage, which varys with resistance (temp. change).

The Batt guage is probalby a volt guage, that just needs 12volts (key-on) and the other terminal to ground.

My truck has a guage cluster, but haven't looked behind...the back of the guages are usually labeled.

The wiring is color coded...that should help you trace.

What the Heck is that ??

CURRENT BUILDS:
62 BurbMaster

Other Builds:
My '63 C-10,LWB,CC,BBW
'06 HD StrAight Axle Swap

Father/Son '67 C-20, LQ9,4L80,Bagged,8-Lugger !!Good Friend Richard's Build

AMERICAN CUSTOMS & CLASSICS (831) 630-1965
www.ACCHOLLISTER.com
ACC on FACEBOOK
"Rest in Peace, Mom & Dad ... I will see you again someday!"
ChiefRocka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 09:33 PM   #3
Northern lights

Here' are some pics of the back of the gauges. So I would put a wire from the terminal connected to the large coil on the batt gauge (gauge on the right) to keyed power and the other to ground....right?.

For the temp gauge, would the SU wire go to the large green coil or the smaller red one??

The wires are colour coded but they go to a plug then exit and dissappear into a large harness that goes in three directions that are next to impossible to follow.
Northern lights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 10:29 PM   #4
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

The following links may be of some value to you. The first shows the wiring diagram, and the second has a bunch of different wiring related links at the bottom of the page:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=193429

http://www.6066gmcguy.org/wire-tips.htm
markeb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 11:26 PM   #5
protrash64
Resistance is Futile

Not sure about standard factory options, but these trucks had a cold lite that lit when first started. This could be one of the terminals on your guage....not sure. That is NOT a volt guage in the dash, it is an amp meter. It needs to be connected thru the positive battery wire after the load of all the dash and electrical components....be careful with this gauge as it can start a fire if not properly wired and the wiring is in bad shape. Just some info I have learned......copy these too.
Attached Images

STRENGTH/DETERMINATION/MERCILESS/FOREVER
.......posted via stationary device
protrash64 is offline   Reply With Quote