The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-16-2009, 01:14 AM   #1
*Dylan
Mean Buzzin' Half Dozen

The Joys of Driving an Old Truck.

Well, my truck is finally tagged and insured, so that means I get to start driving it just in time for college! Anyways, it's funny driving my truck and listening to all the squeaks and rattles that go on. I also found out that the truck doesn't enjoy going too fast today as well. I guess it's the combination of 2 spd. Powerglide and 250 inline six that say no to my go fast attitude. Well, that and gas... Haha.

Took my truck to the dump today to drop off a load of trash and on the way back since it's in the middle of no where I decided to let the engine breathe a little and gave it some gas. Made it up to 70 MPH, the engine was screaming as my brick nearly broke the sound barrier, or so it felt. I love the looks I get from people and my dad has had a few people come up and say they've seen me driving it around. They tend to say it looks really cool and like a rat rod. A few days ago I got the pleasure of parking beside a mint 69 c10 with a 383 stroker motor in it, me and the guy sat outside in the parking lot and chatted a bit, was really cool. I kind of felt like I belonged and not like the pestering kid that just wants to know about what your driving. I find people also don't blow you off as much if they own a classic and see you in one as well.

One thing that sucks though is the fact that my headlights are the equivalent of strapping two average flashlights or one good maglight to your hood. It's a nightmare driving at night, god forbid when I have to drive at night and it's raining as well. I'll be stuck with a flashlight and windshield wipers that have two speeds, slow as hell, and slow. My first time driving at night I got followed by what I think was a cop and I had one headlight and one tail light out, that was a nerve racking experience as I still have yet to get a ticket.

Just felt like writing something for some reason and figured I'd do it here. What experiences have you had while driving your truck, and what joys/dislikes do you find in them?

Oh, and you should have seen the look on the peoples faces at the dump when I hopped back out of my truck specifically to take a picture, it was great!

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."
MY TRUCK (Now for sale)
1967 C10 SWB
Dylan

Last edited by *Dylan; 08-16-2009 at 01:16 AM.
*Dylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 01:25 AM   #2
Indyuke

Re: The Joys of Driving an Old Truck.

Nice truck! Mine was a screamer on the highway when I first got it on the road. The window rubber was so rotted, ALL the windows rattled, and the windshield cracked itself. Talk about a racket.

Where'd you get the rims?
Indyuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 01:35 AM   #3
70cst

Great story Dylan...Neat looking truck!

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 01:47 AM   #4
*Dylan
Mean Buzzin' Half Dozen

The rims are 15 x 8 American Racing rims, not sure of the name of them. I got them from a fellow board member as they were on his truck at one point. If I remember right it was billsbowtie who I bought them from.
"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."
MY TRUCK (Now for sale)
1967 C10 SWB
Dylan
Old 08-16-2009, 02:22 AM   #5
Hart_Rod

Nice to see you finally driving it Dylan. We finally got back to FL and I've been working on updating the suspension in my 68. It's nice to wrench on something that runs, . Have you tried changing your headlights to the new sealed beam halogen bulbs? That's one of the first things I did to my 68. They're not that expensive, and while not as good as the new HID lights, they're better than the old ones. I also installed LED tail lights. Safety first!

Last edited by Hart_Rod; 08-16-2009 at 02:24 AM.
Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 10:09 AM   #6
Sinister
Between Trucks...

Halogen bulbs and relays will help a lot. Cool truck.
Old 08-16-2009, 11:02 AM   #7
mclairmo

Check all of your grounds to be sure they are hooked up and clean. You also need a ground strap going from the engine to the body and from the body to the frame. That may help your light intensity issues.
mclairmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 11:37 AM   #8
big_al_71

good story....glad to see you finally driving it....

Sylvester's build thread >>>http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ht=big+rebuild
big_al_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 12:24 PM   #9
R.L.

Thumbs up Re: The Joys of Driving an Old Truck.

Great story! You're on the high way to happiness. Thirty years ago that was me in a 49 Chevy in just about the same condition,like you cruising around enjoying the people who seemed to approve of the old girl dodging the law till I got that thing really road worthy. I fixed lights, wore out shifter and at least three out of four breaks, only had one good one for a while. I changed my rear end out with one that had 4/11 gears in it and wow, I could cruse at 60 all day long; or at least till my arms gave out steering with the old front end that was under that thing.
The more you do to you're truck the greater a bond you will have with it and appreciate the efforts of others. I've never been without a project vehicle for any amount of time since. Congrats, you have a good looking truck.
R.L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 01:23 PM   #10
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

your high speed cruising desires can be a rearend swap away. The 3.07 gear puts 70 - 80 in the sweet spot of a small block, and I can only assume (never owning one) that an inline's power curve is about the same... just less power.
On your headlights, the first thing you should do, is aim them. since the suspention has been modified, the headlights are probably no longer pointing where they should be. Then, follow the black wire on the headlight plug (both of them) to where it bolts to the core support. Unbolt it and sand the spot, and the wires that go there to bare metal. The next step depends on haw comefortable you are with electrical work. If you are good at it, then wire in some relays. LMC and MAD enterprises, and I'm sure painless all have kits, or you can fap up your own for less than 10 bucks with some junkyard parts. If you are more of a remove and install kind of guy, then go to any local parts store, and get the Sylvania silver star sealed beam headlamps... these things are the shiznit. They are brighter and whiter than most new cars. They actually do more than the relay conversion, but doing both will get you seeing into next week. Try it, you'll be amazed.
Checking your other grounds will also help. You do need to make sure the battery to engine cable is tight and clean, then make sure the engine is grounded to the frame. Personally, i prefer a little more than the little BS straps issued at the factory. Then the core support to the frame. Again, ensure you have clean paintless/corrosionless connections. Then a strap from frame to cab and frame to bed (esp if you have a wooden floor) will finish your grounding inspection.
Doing this will help in many ways, you'll have brighter lights all around, less resistance in the system, and you know they are good to go. The ground side of the system is almost always ignored untill they become the problem, and the responce is always something like "huh, I never knew the ground was so important" Check out the electrical section... have some FAQ's in there, and lots of good info on general basic electrical.
Your truck looks pretty sweet... now drive the crap out of it anf enjoy it!
Oh... and rain x is a wonderful thing. I don't even turn my wipers on anymore on the freeway. Although, I feel my wipers are too fast in my burb.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 01:51 PM   #11
special-K
Special Order

I really like your truck.The older guys tend to really appreciate when a younger guy is into this stuff.Not me,I hate it.Gimme that thing before I...just kidding!!
You must have bad grounds.The headlights aren`t that awful in these trucks.Replace you window channel and squeegies for a major difference.It will save your door glass from cracking and doors from rusting,roo.
Any girls who you meet at school who don`t think that`s the coolest ride on campus,just kick`em to the curb.(after getting me their number.I`ll educate them on the virtues of worn paint and classy haulers)

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 02:45 PM   #12
sson20s

truck looks really cool
Old 08-17-2009, 08:13 AM   #13
c10addict

Good looking ride!! I drive my 64 almost everyday... I get a brand new BMW 535 as a perk with my job with free gas and insurance and it sits in my driveway!!
54 GMC under the knife getting a S10 chassis swap and bagged. See my build thread...
07 GMC Sierra 5/7 drop, 22's and 24's Air ride on my mind..
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=339340

See pics of my trucks in my profile
c10addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 06:43 PM   #14
*Dylan
Mean Buzzin' Half Dozen

Thanks! And where do you work by the way? Sounds like a nice perk to have.
MY TRUCK (Now for sale)
1967 C10 SWB
Dylan
Old 08-17-2009, 09:44 PM   #15
jojo
printing is my trade

Cool story! I enjoy the nods and looks I get in my truck too. You really do become part of a brotherhood. People look at you like they already know you. I'm not even sure I want to ever paint it either because it's so recognizable. And talk about noisy... Basically no shocks in the back and rusted out wood bed frames rattle all day. And with no window felts, I just usually hold the drivers side window so only half the windows rattle. It doesn't help that there's 8 of those stupid huge speed bumps on my way to work every morning. But with no a/c, shocks, tail lights, bumpers or inspection sticker, I still prefer it over the dodge with all the amenities.
Old 08-18-2009, 10:58 AM   #16
c10addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Dylan View Post
Thanks! And where do you work by the way? Sounds like a nice perk to have.
I am the service director at a BMW dealer. The job has some great perks.. We carry Porsche, Audi and BMW and build alot of race cars... I am always hammering on something fast that handles like nobodys business..
54 GMC under the knife getting a S10 chassis swap and bagged. See my build thread...
07 GMC Sierra 5/7 drop, 22's and 24's Air ride on my mind..
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=339340

See pics of my trucks in my profile
c10addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 10:20 AM   #17
*Dylan
Mean Buzzin' Half Dozen

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo View Post
Cool story! I enjoy the nods and looks I get in my truck too. You really do become part of a brotherhood. People look at you like they already know you. I'm not even sure I want to ever paint it either because it's so recognizable. And talk about noisy... Basically no shocks in the back and rusted out wood bed frames rattle all day. And with no window felts, I just usually hold the drivers side window so only half the windows rattle. It doesn't help that there's 8 of those stupid huge speed bumps on my way to work every morning. But with no a/c, shocks, tail lights, bumpers or inspection sticker, I still prefer it over the dodge with all the amenities.
Haha better than me, I pull the window down by hand then stuff a door handle escutcheon in between the glass and the door to keep the glass still. It works pretty good!

C10 Addict, how would you go about getting a job such as that? I'm just starting college and I'm open to all sorts of fields and jobs and have no clue what I want to do.
MY TRUCK (Now for sale)
1967 C10 SWB
Dylan
Old 08-19-2009, 10:50 AM   #18
bowtie72

Great truck. When I was in high school I needed some transportation. I bought a 69 long step from a guy down the street. He removed the bed (rusted out I lived in Mo at the time) and left it that way and sold it. After he found out I was leaving for the Army he sold it to me for $400. It was a striaght 6 and 3 on the tree. Once it was good and warm it would smoke pretty good. I just went to the locel jiffy lube and bought the cheapest stuff they had and put in. Gave a new meaning to check the gas and fill up the oil. I liked that truck it had character. One of the many reasons I love these trucks!!
Old 08-19-2009, 12:55 PM   #19
retodd7711
chrome makes it go FASTER!

My truck also enjoys taking a dump.
Attached Images

and she brings me beer.
She can stay for now.
EDIT:: But she left me anyway,
So forget her.

1962 GMC Stepside V6 4 speed
My rolling resto thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=324226
My old farm truck
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post3465005
retodd7711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 01:59 PM   #20
55chevy
Car Truck Bike Nut

Cool truck, sounds like my trash hauler, 6cyl 3 on the tree, the driver's door flies open once in a while going around a corner, have to remember to keep right of cars. I'm gonna fix that windshield leak one of these years.
Attached Images

94 3500 TD dually
so many cars so little time
72 K2 CST 2WD Blazer
55chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 04:31 PM   #21
Gumby'sC20

The OP for this thread has indeed hit the nail on the head by beginning the title with "The Joys...". I think we all agree with that.

In just the few short months I have owned my 71 C20 (which is the first classic automobile, American made, rusty, gas guzzling, rolling piece of Americana I have ever been so fortunate to own) I have found myself falling so deeply for not only what it is [an ole' truck], but also embracing the lifestyle, the community, history and heritage of these great vehicles as well.

My truck has lent me a whole new view on not only being a 67-72 fan, or even a Chevy fan, but has enhanced my depth in being an enthusiast of all things automotive, and for this I will always be grateful.

Her name is Athena (first vehicle I've ever given a name to haha). Shes a greasy old girl with oil coating everything from the valve cover gaskets down. 3/4 ton screamer with a granny transmission and a 4:10 posi. Rides like a Caddy though and even though the heater is mended with army-green duct tape provides ample heat in subzero temps. She runs nice and rich and right now is undergoing some surgery with fresh trailing arms (props to Hart Rod) and new sheetmetal - and so continues the growth of bond between man and machine. I wouldn't have it any other way!
Gumby'sC20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 05:47 PM   #22
toddtheodd
The oddest Todd around

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby'sC20 View Post
Shes a greasy old girl with oil coating everything from the valve cover gaskets down.
I call that the "Preventative Anti-Rust Coating" on mine. And seriously... there is no rust on her from the valve cover gaskets down.

Oh, and I named mine the Green Demon, because it's loud, fast, and scares the crap out of hybrid cars like the Prius.

Toad
"The greatest pleasure is to vanquish your enemies and chase them before you, to rob them of their wealth and see those dear to them bathed in tears, to ride their horses and clasp to your bosom their wives and daughters." Ghengis Khan

IIOY???
toddtheodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 06:01 PM   #23
Gumby'sC20

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddtheodd View Post
I call that the "Preventative Anti-Rust Coating" on mine. And seriously... there is no rust on her from the valve cover gaskets down.

Oh, and I named mine the Green Demon, because it's loud, fast, and scares the crap out of hybrid cars like the Prius.

Toad
Haha! Exactly the reason I have no motive to clean any of the grease yet!

And I too also find joy in the fact that Prius owners get all teary-eyed when I approach them in their rainbow-emitting tree-huger sanctuary
Gumby'sC20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 06:14 PM   #24
toddtheodd
The oddest Todd around

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby'sC20 View Post
Haha! Exactly the reason I have no motive to clean any of the grease yet!

And I too also find joy in the fact that Prius owners get all teary-eyed when I approach them in their rainbow-emitting tree-huger sanctuary
The prius wasn't out yet when my girl died, and I haven't resurrected her yet... but... here in Texas, every now and then they have a smog checking vehicle on the on ramps. I would go up those on ramps at WOT... and I'm pretty sure the next 3 cars behind me failed after going through the carbon cloud I left behind.
"The greatest pleasure is to vanquish your enemies and chase them before you, to rob them of their wealth and see those dear to them bathed in tears, to ride their horses and clasp to your bosom their wives and daughters." Ghengis Khan

IIOY???
toddtheodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 06:31 PM   #25
'72customdeluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
your high speed cruising desires can be a rearend swap away. The 3.07 gear puts 70 - 80 in the sweet spot of a small block, and I can only assume (never owning one) that an inline's power curve is about the same... just less power.
Adding 3.08's to a powerglide and an old 250 almost sounds dangerous. Atleast around Houston it would be. My old truck with a 350 and 3.08's needed more go from a stop at times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddtheodd View Post
The prius wasn't out yet when my girl died, and I haven't resurrected her yet... but... here in Texas, every now and then they have a smog checking vehicle on the on ramps. I would go up those on ramps at WOT... and I'm pretty sure the next 3 cars behind me failed after going through the carbon cloud I left behind.
They have this one emissions tester on an onramp on I-10 near my house. I floor it just above the kickdown speed into first so that it has to pull all the way from the bottow to the top of second (little rich smelling down low at wot) Driving an old polluter is sooo much fun. I like to stomp on it near hybrids as well.