The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-16-2009, 12:07 PM   #1
exmonkeypunk
Barrito Loco Diablo

brake woes

so, my dumb self, thought it'd be grand to replace my worn out brake pads on the truck. Yesturday i did the driver side, today i started on the passenger side. I'm sick, so i only did one side a day. The passenger side decided to give me some grief. The brake line off the caliper is too short with the new pads on it. So, i turn the wheel a little to the right and snap the brake line. wtf?
After looking at the lines, they are older than i am. Seems like i'm going to have to replace everything up to the master cylinder. i should've let the pads grind away to nothing. what a headache. since this was my daily driver, now i'm struck.
exmonkeypunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 12:21 PM   #2
exmonkeypunk
Barrito Loco Diablo

Re: brake woes

Just looking around online, finding the caliper hose isn't turning up anything. I'm only finding lines and hoses for the rear. same threads? Maybe this is already what someone did on this?
Old 08-16-2009, 12:45 PM   #3
bigbadjohn84

what year truck is it? should be able to go down to the local parts store and get a match for factory replacement lines man.
bigbadjohn84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 02:05 PM   #4
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Quote:
Originally Posted by exmonkeypunk View Post
so, my dumb self, thought it'd be grand to replace my worn out brake pads on the truck. Yesturday i did the driver side, today i started on the passenger side. I'm sick, so i only did one side a day. The passenger side decided to give me some grief. The brake line off the caliper is too short with the new pads on it. So, i turn the wheel a little to the right and snap the brake line. wtf?
After looking at the lines, they are older than i am. Seems like i'm going to have to replace everything up to the master cylinder. i should've let the pads grind away to nothing. what a headache. since this was my daily driver, now i'm struck.
I don't understand how the new brake pad could make the "brake line" too short?

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 07:20 PM   #5
bigbadjohn84

ha! I didnt catch that part man. yea. what gives? are you trying to turn the calipers the wrong way?? they only go one way
Old 08-18-2009, 09:26 PM   #6
exmonkeypunk
Barrito Loco Diablo

I was really sick with a chest cold and all doped up on meds and thought i needed to do the brakes right then. I didn't know cold meds could jack you up that bad. The whole thing is kind of a haze, but i'm more embarrassed i posted the problem when i knew the solution was just to look at it again a couple days later with a clear head and see that i was trying to put the caliper on the wrong side of the rotor. Let this be a lesson to myself and anyone who reads this. Don't work on your vehicles when you're on too many prescription medications. It'll just cost you more money when your better. i'm an idiot. lol.

My boss ordered a hose for the truck. it'll be here in the morning. The parts stores didn't have anything they could order. kinda weird.
Should i even mention i found a big dent in the quarter panel that i cannot explain. Looks like it got hit with a hammer or something. i don't know if i did this or someone else. Kinda scary.

Last edited by exmonkeypunk; 08-18-2009 at 09:31 PM.
Old 08-19-2009, 07:39 AM   #7
bigbadjohn84

hahaha! no worries man. we all have our moments.. comes with the territory. I know I have had my fair share..
Old 08-19-2009, 08:35 AM   #8
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

If it's in your budget, I would replace both lines. Those old rubber lines deteriorate and need replaced every 30 years or so...

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 11:01 PM   #9
exmonkeypunk
Barrito Loco Diablo

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX View Post
If it's in your budget, I would replace both lines. Those old rubber lines deteriorate and need replaced every 30 years or so...
very good point. I was thinking this after noticing that my LMC catalog only sold front hoses for my year and 3/4 ton in sets. I wasn't too turned off by ordering the 100 dollar kit and redoing the whole front, then i started thinking if i'm doing the front.... might as well do the back as well. I decided to just do the one side, save the money up and reline the whole truck, new master and components. Since i bought the truck the brakes have been really "iffy"... scares alot of people that ride in and in front of the truck. lol. I'm used to it though. I think the truck deserves this update. Ideally, i'd like to ditch the drums in the rear. Should i even ask?
Old 08-19-2009, 11:20 PM   #10
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Skip LMC.
Go to a local auto parts house for your hoses,... even if you have to order them online.
By the way,... what year truck are you working on?

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823

Last edited by lolife99; 08-19-2009 at 11:22 PM.
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 07:54 PM   #11
exmonkeypunk
Barrito Loco Diablo

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolife99 View Post
Skip LMC.
Go to a local auto parts house for your hoses,... even if you have to order them online.
By the way,... what year truck are you working on?
Advance auto parts, vato zone, oreilly's and carquest "couldn't get" the brake hose, Napa ordered it from another store. The line fits fine. I got a new caliper today for the passenger side because the bleeder valve was frozen on the old one. Gravity bled it and everything works once again. It's been over a week since i've last driven the truck. Felt great to put on the caliper and bleed the brakes in the rain knowing that i was about to drive it again.
I managed to do it all before i had to pick up my girlfriend from work which was a half hour from when i get home from work. Talk about a pridefully drive... haha i'm just super stoked the truck is back on the road.