The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-17-2009, 02:37 PM   #1
monte0185

Need GM parts guys help...

I hoping theres some parts people that can help me with one of my other truck issues. I have been messing with this clutch in a 92 Chevy K2500 with a nv4500. I finally had a revalation last night that its possible that some bright individual changed the clutch fork pivot ball out for the wrong one which is the reason I have no pedal on my clutch. So i go to chuck hutton in memphis today and had them look up the greasable and non greasable version and they brought them out and viola the greasable one is about an inch longer which would make up for the space that i need for the clutch for to work correctly and not rub or bind. Now for my dilema. The guy at the counter was about as nice and resposive as a rock when i asked questions so im hoping someone here can answer them.

The non greasable one which is too short screws into the bell housing. The greasable one does not. Is there some kind of bushing that screws into the bell housing that the greasable one sits in or is there a completely different bell housing??

Can someone help please this thing has been a headache for over a month now. I just hate it when people get cheap. I think thats what happened. The greasable one is 71$ as opposed to the non greasable one which is only 15$ then when it wasnt right they just put the throwout bearing in front of the fork to get it to work.

Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together.
monte0185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 12:44 PM   #2
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

Re: Need GM parts guys help...

TTT. Brother needs some help, anybody able to offer assistance?

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 02:26 PM   #3
ChevyTech

You should take all the clutch parts to a dealer so you can compare them to what parts are supposed to be there.

An inch different in a pivot it huge and could easily make the difference between it working and not working.

Thing is, if they had it together and working well enough to drive, I can’t see the pivot being off by an inch.

Make sure you bring the fork with too. Compare it very carefully to a new fork. Make sure it is not bent and carefully compare the pivot area.

Bring the release bearing with and compare it to a new one.
ChevyTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 02:39 PM   #4
monte0185

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyTech View Post
You should take all the clutch parts to a dealer so you can compare them to what parts are supposed to be there.

An inch different in a pivot it huge and could easily make the difference between it working and not working.

Thing is, if they had it together and working well enough to drive, I can’t see the pivot being off by an inch.

Make sure you bring the fork with too. Compare it very carefully to a new fork. Make sure it is not bent and carefully compare the pivot area.

Bring the release bearing with and compare it to a new one.
Yeah tried that. Pivot ball is the same as one of the ones they have. CLutch fork is the same. I did not compare the throwout bearing. My issue is they have a second pivot ball that is longer and more than likely the one i need but I have no idea how it connects to the bell housing as it does not screw in. The guy at the GM dealer I had to practically beg to get me the parts too look at that i did and when I asked to look at the diagrams all of the sudden those were gold that i could not look at!!! So i asked about a seperat bell housing or bushing and all i got was uh i dont show anything. So After asking several different ways to get to the same thing and getting the same well what you have should work answer I left. I ordered a GM parts Manual for the truck so Im hoping in that 1500 pages I can find something unless someone on here could help me out.

The way they got it to work is to put the throwout bearing on the front side of the fork.

Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together.

Last edited by monte0185; 08-20-2009 at 02:42 PM.
Old 08-20-2009, 06:47 PM   #5
ChevyTech

I did look at the service manuals to see what they showed and the manuals did not show much.

The only pivot that I saw in the service manual was a thread in pivot.

I would check the throw out bearing. The illustration made the throw-out (release) bearing look longer then usual.
ChevyTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 07:20 PM   #6
d3mon

I'm no expert on manual transmission parts interchange but I only see one service replacement stud for your vehicle and its non-greasable. P/N 15552866 is for the NV4500. The greasable one is p/n 23049797 and fits Getrag and as far as I can tell it looks like it threads into a boss in the bellhousing as opposed to the NV4500 that appears to thread into a hole through the bellhousing.

Do you have the p/n of the stud your using?
d3mon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 07:27 PM   #7
monte0185

I got the one im using a few weeks ago and the part # is long gone. Can you look and see about the throwout bearing? Perhaps theres a longer one? Im at a real loss here. The other one did not thread in at all. at least it did not have any threads on it but it looked almost the same just longer. Chuck hutton in memphis which is a parts distributor used to have great cust service people now its like pulling teath to get anything out of them.

Old 08-20-2009, 08:14 PM   #8
d3mon

Alright I wasn't sure how it was supposed to install. Illustration makes it look like it installs from the backside of the bellhousing so I assumed it had threads. Sorry man, I am not sure how the greasable one is supposed to install unless there is a clip thats not shown.

There is only one bearing listed and it fits both transmissions, P/N 15613306. The clutch fork is the same between the 2 as well.
d3mon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 07:37 PM   #9
monte0185

Well after some grinding to make sure nothing was rubbing inside the bellhousing and puttin it all back together everything is working great. Thanks for everyones help. Oh and theres only one pivot ball for this tranny for future reference. Oh and I have a GM parts manual for a 92 Chevy CK truck now if anyone needs some part numbers I definatley got them.