The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-17-2009, 03:25 PM   #1
Kennethh

Outer roof skin

I have a 62 C-10 which have a sunroof, is there anyplace you can buy the outer roof skin?
Kennethh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 03:45 PM   #2
steverino66

Re: Outer roof skin

This guy has it advertised - item 1112p for $281 -
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/pts/1312974701.html
I can't imagine what shipping would cost you. If you can figure out shipping cost and details, you could probably find a cheaper replacement elsewhere from a private party on www.craigslist.org (search bigger US cities closest to you) Good luck.
steverino66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 03:57 PM   #3
Kennethh

Item 1112P is for 1955-59, this isn`t the same roof as on my 1962 i think.
Kennethh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 04:44 PM   #4
steverino66

Oops - my mistake; there are many old parts trucks sitting in fields someone could cut a roof from - I bought a whole parts truck for $300 last year. The salvage yards will sell parts for more than most private parties
steverino66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 05:05 PM   #5
terd ferguson

Lol, he's in Norway. I doubt there's many trucks in yards over there. Good luck.

1955 2nd Series Chevy "King Of Trucks"
terd ferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 05:55 PM   #6
aerotruk63
Check The Champ, Demonstrator

Look in the parts for sale thread for guys who are parting out their trucks.

YouTube Channel with 20+ Original Chevrolet Truck Salesmen, Mechanics & Service Department Training Slideshows.
https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...otruk63&page=1
aerotruk63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 07:40 PM   #7
jonzcustomshop
1961 crewcab

if you have a sunroof , then the inner is wasted too...
your best bet is to find a new roof, and switch them out... this would be a good time to do a big back window switch if you want that too...
I assume that shipping to where you are at must be astronomical...
another thing to look into, would be cutting the skin out of something that is around up there..volvo?saab? the skin off one of those would have some crown to it, rather than a piece of flat sheet that has none, then use that patch piece on your roof, find an old metalworker to hammer weld it in for you. then you could just go with a cloth headliner.
jonzcustomshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 09:08 PM   #8
Eagar1

You can get some metal rod, about the thicknes of the gap between the two panels, (round rod, not flat steel) arc(bend) the rod to match the countour of the roof, every 4 inches, then tack in place. You may find the rod follows the contour better front to back vs side to side. Now cut 4 inch strips of similar gauge metal to match the roof material, and tack just off of the mid crown of the rod, the metal will have a tendancy to arc and follow the contour if you laid it out right, small tack welds. You may find you have to narrow the strips at one end as they begin to follow the contour. Now grind the welds, if you did it right they wont be very high as they should have filled the gap in between. I know it sounds like alot of welding, but its one of the sure ways to make a very solid roof patch without having to replace the whole roof. It should not take very much filler if you got your arcs and welding right. You can cover the inside any way you want, maybe even fiberglass, then put in a headliner, or spray bedliner up there for a cool effect.
Eagar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 12:48 AM   #9
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

As was already mentioned, getting one off of a parts cab would most likely be the best. However if you had to ship it from here in the US, that would be extremely expensive. You might consider looking around there in Norway to see if you can find a metal worker with an english wheel. he should be able to form you a roof panel for less money than shipping one from here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennethh View Post
I have a 62 C-10 which have a sunroof, is there anyplace you can buy the outer roof skin?
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote