The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-18-2009, 02:13 PM   #1
Rat72

ECE Fuel Tank

I want to purchase an ECE fuel tank but was unclear on something after talking with them. The picture (ECE Suburban tank) below shows a vent tube on the passenger side front of the tank and another vent tube right next to the filler tube on the driver side. However the tank ECE sells today does not have the vent tube next to the filler and only uses the other vent tube. So what is the vent tube next to the filler for?

Rat72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 04:33 PM   #2
vectorit
What?

Re: ECE Fuel Tank

The one next to the fill pipe, is for venting while you pump gas into the tank. At least on my 68, that tube connects to a tube on the filler pipe attached to the body.
vectorit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 06:03 PM   #3
Rat72

Wouldn't the other one do the same thing, let air out as the tank fills? Or is the other one for a Charcoal Canister?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vectorit View Post
The one next to the fill pipe, is for venting while you pump gas into the tank. At least on my 68, that tube connects to a tube on the filler pipe attached to the body.
Old 08-18-2009, 06:39 PM   #4
vectorit
What?

That tank to me looks like it's set up for a FI engine, due to the two hoses coming from the sending unit?

The other hose on the right side could be for smog equipment?
vectorit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 07:43 PM   #5
Rat72

Yes, it's an FI setup as is mine. I won't have any smog equipment so I'm thinking I only need one of the two hoses for venting. The ECE tank comes with the threaded hole on the passenger side and not the tube coming up by the filler tube.

From what I've read in my late model Jeep Service Manual, there is a vent near the filler that goes back up into the filler hole in the body before the gas cap. When the cap is removed and the fuel nozzle pushed in, the vent is above the gas going into the tank and lets air out as you pump. The other vent is connected to the charcoal cannister which is a closed circuit when the vehicle is not running. Pressure would build if there wasn't the vent near the filler tube. However, I'm not running a charcoal cannister and plan to run a rollover valve to open air. This will seal the tank if it flips but will allow air pressure to enter under normal operating conditions. I don't know if the rollover valves allows air to go both directions, If not, I'll need to run a filter instead of the valve or get a vented gas cap.

Anyone know if rollover valves allow air to pass in both directions? And will they pass enough air that I won't need a vented gas cap?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vectorit View Post
That tank to me looks like it's set up for a FI engine, due to the two hoses coming from the sending unit?

The other hose on the right side could be for smog equipment?
Old 08-22-2009, 09:29 AM   #6
Hart_Rod

That's a sweet looking tank, .
Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote