The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-11-2003, 03:28 PM   #1
my new 72
faster, faster, faster

Mobil 1 Super Synth

Man, I cannot believe the difference in operating temps between the higher mileage formula and the new Super Syn blend. I have always used Mobil 1 syn in my wifes GTI VR6 since I started doing the oil changes a few years ago, and the operating temp has always been about 212 degrees. Well today I changed it at it's usual 4000 mile interval (only because my wife forgets to look at the trip that I have it set on so she doesn't forget oil changes and she still forgets) and took it for a hard little drive. To my surprise, after a few miles with a few 5000 rpm shifts(yes I was speeding) the oil temp only got up to 190 degrees and when I sat idling in front of the house it dropped to 185. All I have to say is COOL.
Old 01-11-2003, 04:02 PM   #2
Project1970
14.1 @ 96MPH

Sweet, glad to hear the good stuff is getting better...my brother's Camaro, dad's Mercedes, and mom's Trailblazer all get Mobil1 every change...and once I rebuild the engine in my truck, it will too.
Old 01-11-2003, 06:45 PM   #3
treefrog

Mobil1

Josh,
I've always heard the theory that you should stay with what you have been using. Can there be any down-side to changing to Mobil 1? I like the lower temp. I'm running a 350. Thanks, TF
treefrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2003, 07:18 PM   #4
my new 72
faster, faster, faster

When changing from a petroleum oil to a synthetic you have to make sure and let all of the old oil drain from the engine before you fill it with the seynthetic. The reason being is that the syn and the petroleum don't break down at the same rate, and do not mix together well. as long as you let the oil drain completely, then you will be ok. Some people even put cheaper syn in and run it for a few miles to kinda rinse the engine's internals and then drain and refill with clean syn. Then again some think it's a bunch of bs about them not mixing well and just switch without doing anything special.
Old 01-11-2003, 08:08 PM   #5
treefrog

Oil Change

Thanks. I think as a precaution, I'll change this week with the synthetic, run a 100 miles or so, and then change again. Whatever the oil costs, it's got to be cheaper than taking a chance on not mixing. TF
treefrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2003, 08:31 PM   #6
Project1970
14.1 @ 96MPH

By the way - 4000miles is nothing for Mobil1. Mercedes-Benz, Porsche, and now even GM offer cars with oil-change intervals as long as 15,000 miles (with oil-life systems installed) thanks to Mobil1. The Camaro and Mercedes get it every 5000...the Trailblazer got it at about 2500 because I wasn't sure if it had synth from the factory (a bit of research seems to indicate that it did, oh well) and will get it again whenever the computer says it should be changed...
Old 01-11-2003, 09:18 PM   #7
my new 72
faster, faster, faster

Around here it is $4.75 a quart.
Old 01-11-2003, 10:23 PM   #8
Ackattack

You can mix synthetic and dino oils. What do you think synthetic blends are?

I plan on switching to Mobil 1 on my next oil change.( After rebuild, I wanted to make sure it wasn't leaking oil.) I always use Mobil1 in the Formula. I've gone as long as 7000 miles on a change (it has a monitoring system too)
Ackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2003, 11:33 PM   #9
my new 72
faster, faster, faster

Yes a syn blend can mix, but Mobil1 full synth is not a blend, and it will not mix evenly with a petroleum based oil. A full synthetic is much better than the blends are anyway. I have used blends before, but they are not as good as the full synthetic in my opinion.
Old 01-11-2003, 11:37 PM   #10
yellowgmc
Getting cabin fever?!?!?!

i use mobil one in the wife's car and quaker stater formual 4x4 semi synth in my ford. haven't had to change the oil in the gmc yet, i kinda all ran out of the seals on it's own. hmmmm might have to fix that before i get protested for having an oil spill!!

1972 GMC 1500
1994 F-150 XL 4x4

Tact is for people not whitty enough to be sarcastic
yellowgmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2003, 11:42 PM   #11
my new 72
faster, faster, faster

Yellow, you may want to add a quart of Syn blend for high mileage engines into the GMC. It will soak into the seals and makes them expand a bit, it may slow or maybe even stop the leaks for a bit.
Old 01-11-2003, 11:44 PM   #12
yellowgmc
Getting cabin fever?!?!?!

well it definately won't get any worse!! thank's for the tip! i'm going to try it!

1972 GMC 1500
1994 F-150 XL 4x4

Tact is for people not whitty enough to be sarcastic
yellowgmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2003, 12:11 AM   #13
Purs
Got Big Block?

what's your opinion on Shell Rotella? thanks.
Old 01-12-2003, 05:15 PM   #14
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

Some observations on oil..

Baaaaaack long ago, when oil change intervals were at 2000 miles, I began working at a service station. I learned a lot, doing that. As I aged, and advanced in life and so forth, I learned more. The military used synthetic lubricants in engines, gearboxes, etc. All they did was to sample the oil periodically and send it in to a lab for analysis related to contaminants, breakdown, etc. So, it was about 1975 (could have been earlier) that Mobil brought Mobil 1 to the market. I don't remember the price, but I thought it was way too much money for oil. Heck, I didn't change mine as often as I changed vehicles, so it didn't matter at the time. As I aged, I grew wiser and had more money. Oil changes became more important as I was able to buy newer, more expensive vehicles. I came to realize how important it is to keep the engine serviced with clean oil.

Now, at the age of 55, I drive an old truck that gets NAPA Gold filters and good oil, every 3 months, even if it has only been driven for 1000 miles. Short trips are much harder on an engine than driving one for at least 12-15 miles. This brings up my observation. At one time in my past life, I was laid off from my high-paying job at Alcoa, and took a job with Sears, at their auto center. The philosophy there was that an engine needed to be driven the equivalent of at least 11 miles to properly warm it up and to eliminate the condensation that otherwise would contaminate the crankcase and it's contents. This tidbit may also have come from Fram reps when I was working at AutoShack (aka AutoZone), during another lay-off.

Bottom line: I don't get my oil changed until I have driven my vehicle for a minimum of 15 miles, part of which is freeway speeds, to thoroughly heat it up. I can tell you that more than one mechanic has been warned that the oil is hot. It's the least I can do for my engines.

Oh, I am using Mobil 1 5W30 in my Tundra. I am using Quaker State 30wt in my '69. When I install a new engine in my truck, following the other work that still is needed, I'll go to a synthetic oil in it, too.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote