The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-19-2009, 11:29 AM   #1
ambryatim

How much would you pay for this?

Hi all I was wondering if I could get some input on what this truck might be worth. It's a 1957 SW Chevy.

Here is a link to some pictures.
http://s257.photobucket.com/albums/h...le413/?start=0

Here’s the details…The front clip is from a 1975 Chevrolet Camaro. I rebuilt it and installed it two years ago. It has new ball joints, control arm bushings, tie rod ends, new power steering box, new disc brakes (power). Where the clip was joined has been boxed with 3/16” steel plate and 2” 11ga. Box tube was used between the frame and subframe to help reduce the total front drop. The column is a tilt unit from a 1985 Olds with column shift. The rear end is also from the ’85 Olds and uses the same bolt pattern as the front discs, so all of the wheels use the same pattern. The brake booster is mounted to the firewall and uses a stainless steel support under the dash. The booster and master cylinder are Mustang II.

The glass is in good shape. The windshield and gasket were installed new in OKC around Summer 2000. The flat glass in the wing windows shows some separation but are complete. The door hinge pockets are solid. The driver’s door hinge could stand to be rebuilt, the door rattles going down the road. The pictures of the area around the headlamps does not show the stainless rims. I have them in my shed. They are in good shape but need to be polished. The chrome on the grille is peeling.

The transmission is a lock-up TH350 and is slipping in drive and reverse. I have the TH200-4R that matches the rear end in my shed with the running boards and the head lamp trim. It is a bolt-up unit that was on the motor when carbureted until the pump went out. I have a full rebuild kit and the manual for it that I will also include. The drive line is a one piece unit.

All of the sensors for the fuel injection are installed. The truck was running on a 1984 Camaro Crossfire injection system for a while using the 1990’s 1227747 GM computer (standard TBI) The IACs went south on the crossfire, so I went with the stock TBI set-up. The TBI unit is a Holley 670 CFM replacement unit. It need the fuel lines connected and the four wires for the injectors hooked up to run. The fuel pump is electric and is mounted to the frame.All of the hard lines (feed and return) are run from the tank in the bed under the cab inside the frame along the right side. The lines for the crossfire went up the inner right fender and came in from front of the motor like a carb set-up. The TBI runs the lines up the back of the motor new the distributor, which is a small cap HEI.

There is a new radiator from Brothers installed. The transmission is cooled with two external coolers, one in front of the radiator and a second water-cooled unit from a Dodge diesel mounted on the core support by the radiator. The fuel filler has an aluminum block off plate filling the hole to keep water out of the cab. It was a prototype for a steel filler to be made and installed. The bed floor is 3/4” cabinet grade plywood. I put it in to help protect the steel parts and make the bed serviceable.

I think that covers it all.

Last edited by Liz; 08-19-2009 at 04:41 PM. Reason: restored
ambryatim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 11:44 AM   #2
mr48chev

Re: How Much Would You Pay

Get ready to duck because first posters with the "how much" question usually get hammered on any fourm on the net.

That said, there is no accurate way to estimate a value on a rig like that without actually seeing it in person. Way too many variables involved.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 12:26 PM   #3
ambryatim

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
Get ready to duck because first posters with the "how much" question usually get hammered on any fourm on the net.

That said, there is no accurate way to estimate a value on a rig like that without actually seeing it in person. Way too many variables involved.
Understood.....but if you were looking for a new/used truck, would you be intrested in this from just seeing the pictures?? But, they do say pictures are worth a thousand words.

I am just trying to get a feel for what some would think a good price would be?
Old 08-19-2009, 12:52 PM   #4
robin58

Search the completed listings on eBay for 55-58's to give you a better of what people seem to be paying for them. I can tell you from a quick glance at what didn't sell on eBay that I would be surprised if you got $1,000.

Last edited by robin58; 08-19-2009 at 12:53 PM.
robin58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 12:59 PM   #5
blackdiesel

I'm with robin58, on this one.
'57 2wd change
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...light=speedway
blackdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 04:44 PM   #6
Liz
Catchy title goes here..

Re: How much would you pay for this?

Sorry you had an issue. I have restored your post for you.
It was misunderstanding on the staffs part. WIW for items you are looking to purchase are fine to ask. The issue is when its something already owned. Folks use that as a loophole to sell at times.

Sorry again for the issues. PM if you have any questions
Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 04:59 PM   #7
ambryatim

Thanks Liz...
Old 08-19-2009, 05:08 PM   #8
ambryatim

Quote:
Originally Posted by robin58 View Post
Search the completed listings on eBay for 55-58's to give you a better of what people seem to be paying for them. I can tell you from a quick glance at what didn't sell on eBay that I would be surprised if you got $1,000.
Really $1,000 he has it listed for $3,500!!

He also said that it has a Ron Francis wiring harness and a Painless TBI harness.

So, what do you all think, offer him $2,000?? Or is that still too much. I can tell from the pics that the stake pocket is going to need replacing and also the right step and rocker. Oh, it also does not include a tail gate or rear bumper.
Old 08-19-2009, 05:53 PM   #9
fiddy9apache

nothing more than 2k. cheaper the better. more money you get to spend on it in the long run.
fiddy9apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 06:00 PM   #10
robin58

It's worth whatever you want to spend on it. If you think it's worth $2000 then offer him that. It's not about what anyone else thinks it's worth. But I would really closely inspect what he has done sofar in work. Nothing is worse than trying to figure out someone else's work. Particularly with a front clip from a Camaro on it, really make sure it's installed right. Fixing that could be more work than doing it from scratch. If you don't feel comfortable assessing his work, take someone along who has knowledge of safely welding in front clips. Or go, take pictures yourself and post them here for advice.

But like I said above, do some research. IMHO his $3500 is highly optimistic in this day and age for what is shown in his pictures. There's a bunch of work involved in that truck imho. He may have a Ron Francis harness but obviously it's not installed yet. The transmission has known issues. The floor has rust.

By comparison:

Sold for $3101: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1955-...=p4506.c0.m245

Sold for $750: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1955-...=p4506.c0.m245
Old 08-19-2009, 08:08 PM   #11
OrrieG

Be very careful. Lots of visible rust which means the hidden stuff is going to be bad. If the "prototype" gas hole patch is any indication of the guys fabrication skills plan on redoing a lot of stuff, like welds. Dash is trashed, rewiring is a given, known drive train issues??? If you are going to pay 3500 for something at least look in AZ, TX or CA for rust free projects. Or get one without an engine and start on the running gear from scratch. You already know you are going to have to go through a trans and maybe engine, seems like lots of money for cores, around here you can get th350s that need rebuilt for next to nothing. Unless you can see it in person or get a bunch of better photos of the hidden stuff I'd run away.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 08:32 PM   #12
truckdude239

i am sorry about this post i misread the post and edited once again i am sorry

1971 Chevy c-10 under going a 4.8l LSx swap

Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=421305

2007 Honda Accord my daily 145kmiles
2002 Honda Accord 4 door With 330k(sisters car)
2005 toyota Avalon 228k( brothers car)
2002 Sububran 5.3 245k
2000 Tahoe 5.3l 378

General manager for Marco's Carwash & lube
truckdude239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 08:40 PM   #13
50MOTORHEAD

I guess it depends on where you are located but trucks like that are going for a grand or so and they are everywhere around here.55 through 57 chevys are not selling in Chicago area right now. I am picking up stuff for next to nothing. I am looking at a big window 57 ,in a lot more complete shape than the one you have posted and I think that $1000 will wind up buying it.
$3500,,,,I would RUN (not walk) in the other direction. It's WAY too ruff for that kind of money.Offer a grand and if he refuses,tell him to keep your phone number,,,cause it aint going anywhere for that price. Good luck-KB
50MOTORHEAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 09:10 PM   #14
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Thats a parts truck worth $800 at the most. The dash is hacked up. The wiring looks scary, steps missing, it needs floors, corners, rockers and pillars. You can do better just keep looking. You may have to travel to get it but it would be worth the time invested. Forget the motor and gauges are there. If its not running and complete its value is under $1000. But I would not go more that $800.
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 09:52 AM   #15
ambryatim

All this input is what I was looking for. Thanks.

I will be going to look at this and a couple others this weekend, they are all in the Oklahoma City Area, I live in Corinth, Texas.

I will post some pictures of each to see what you all might think. Again, thanks for the heads up...and keep it coming. I hope to be the owner of a 57' soon.
Old 08-20-2009, 09:53 AM   #16
ambryatim

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckdude239 View Post
i am sorry about this post i misread the post and edited once again i am sorry
No problem, I should have said that I was looking to buy this truck some where in my post, so it is also my fault too.
Old 08-20-2009, 10:02 AM   #17
robin58

Just a few ideas:

http://dallas.craigslist.org/mdf/cto/1320017337.html
http://tulsa.craigslist.org/cto/1317814884.html
http://tulsa.craigslist.org/cto/1310522886.html
http://tulsa.craigslist.org/cto/1308831885.html

Use searchtempest.com to search all craigslist's within your preferred radius and you would be surprised what's out there for you.
Old 08-20-2009, 10:08 AM   #18
ambryatim

Thanks Robin58. This one is also on Craigs list in the OKC area. I will try the search that you suggested. I am really in the market for a 57, just personal prefrence.

Last edited by ambryatim; 08-20-2009 at 10:08 AM.
Old 08-21-2009, 08:39 AM   #19
50MOTORHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambryatim View Post
Thanks Robin58. This one is also on Craigs list in the OKC area. I will try the search that you suggested. I am really in the market for a 57, just personal prefrence.
I can see why you want a 57. I have had one for some years now and when I got it NOBODY wanted a 57. They wanted 55&56 because of the grille. I personally like the 56 grille better ( I have a 56 also) ,but over the last years the 57 has become more valuable than the 5 and 6. The 57 grille is one of those things that has to grow on ya. Now ,I love mine. The 57 also has a way nicer steering wheel. Of gourse ,I'm talking stock trucks,which is also getting hard to find.-KB
50MOTORHEAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 08:55 AM   #20
ambryatim

I have always liked the 57...not just the grill but the hood also, I have seen some of the 55-56 hoods shake and vibrate while driving due to the size of the flat sheet metal. Of course we all know that the 57 has the "ribs" or "body lines" which make it much um......"stiffer" /"ridgid". Now the grill is what makes this truck for me, it just looks "mean" when the truck is lowered and the grill is all chromed out. With the open mouth design, it looks to want to eat something up. LOL
Old 08-21-2009, 11:20 AM   #21
robin58

Understand I merely used 55 as an example. Running the same search with 57 still gave me a decent number of hits within a reasonable distance, e.g.

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/1321500921.html
http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/1306491734.html
http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/cto/1287233367.html

Last edited by robin58; 08-21-2009 at 11:21 AM.
Old 08-21-2009, 08:34 PM   #22
57ToyBox

I have come to learn that the value is in the eye of the beholder. (enough philosophy)
You have to ask yourself, how badly and how much are you willing to pay.
Personally: I think your getting alot of truck for $3500 but then I'm a huge Tri 5 fan
57ToyBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 09:38 PM   #23
blackdiesel

different grill and hood and bot-a-bing, bot-a-boom you have a 57 look a like. the DMV will only know the differents
'57 2wd change
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...light=speedway

Last edited by blackdiesel; 08-21-2009 at 09:39 PM.
blackdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 06:52 PM   #24
BIG CHEVY 3600
BIG CHEVY 3600 LONGBOX

I usually price a truck by how much body work I'll have to do. I consider it without a motor and tranny cause chances are you'll have to replace what's there or rebuild it. The rear is important if it has the right gears. All this if you are planing on a complete restore.

http://s729.photobucket.com/albums/w...cpZZ3QQtppZZ20
BIG CHEVY 3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 03:14 PM   #25
mr48chev

I'm with Big Chevy 3600 in that on that model of truck I'd be hunting for the best body and frame I could buy with a clear title. Engines are easy to find, build or buy while getting the body right can be a killer.
Also don't pay extra for anything you don't plan to use unless you have it figured out how to sell or trade that item off.
If you don't like the wheel/tire combo a guy has on a rig ask how much w/o the wheels and tires.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote