The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Closed Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 08:36 PM   #1
3r!c84
Badass

cash for clunkers

since then has anyone been hiting the junk yards checking for great 73-87 finds

im going this weekend

drop a gear and disappear!

1/4:13:90

Last edited by 3r!c84; 08-27-2009 at 08:36 PM.
Old 08-27-2009, 09:01 PM   #2
vonlefty

Re: cash for clunkers

I think all the cash for clunkers cars get their motors seized and then they get crushed. I dont think theyre going to the junkyards.

Last edited by vonlefty; 08-27-2009 at 09:02 PM.
Old 08-27-2009, 09:06 PM   #3
Benelli
Watchin the rust grow

Yep. Everything that is cash for clunker-ized gets tossed on a flat-bed truck and Crushed.

Very green, is it not?
1979 Chevy K10 (H/D Front end) - 350 w/ Holley Truck Avenger, Weinald Intake manifold, headers, bored .060 over, mild cam, Built up TH350 (TranStar Shift kit) with a part-timed NP203 t-case SOLD ($3,000)
1997 Chevy Silverado 1500 - 4.3 vortec, extended cab, 21 highway MPG, stock. "Red" SOLD ($3,000)
1987 Toyota 4wd Pick-up - work in progress, future DD SOLD ($1,850)
1998 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins 5spd Quad cab - old 12 valve with some work done
2004 Chevy Silverado - Black, 4x4, 5.3L, stock for now

Underneath that rust is a heart of gold
Old 08-27-2009, 09:11 PM   #4
3r!c84
Badass

i know about the motor thing but they let them sit in the juck yards down here for a few months then they get crushed.
my naber went today looking for bronco parts
and they said clunkers where being droped off there?

Old 08-27-2009, 09:14 PM   #5
Benelli
Watchin the rust grow

From the way the local 'yard manager was telling us, They cannot have them touched.

But, I would try and talk to someone that knows more than me.
1979 Chevy K10 (H/D Front end) - 350 w/ Holley Truck Avenger, Weinald Intake manifold, headers, bored .060 over, mild cam, Built up TH350 (TranStar Shift kit) with a part-timed NP203 t-case SOLD ($3,000)
1997 Chevy Silverado 1500 - 4.3 vortec, extended cab, 21 highway MPG, stock. "Red" SOLD ($3,000)
1987 Toyota 4wd Pick-up - work in progress, future DD SOLD ($1,850)
1998 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins 5spd Quad cab - old 12 valve with some work done
2004 Chevy Silverado - Black, 4x4, 5.3L, stock for now

Underneath that rust is a heart of gold
Old 08-27-2009, 09:16 PM   #6
3r!c84
Badass

ok thanks
im going to go to the junkyard this week anyways just looking around

Old 08-27-2009, 09:33 PM   #7
ratty 46

A close friend works for a "junk" yard ..... word is this as they are a "collection" center for the local dodge dealer:

The cars CAN NOT be touched. Nothing can be removed from the vehicles. They must store them for a few months before they will be crushed. Engine & trans are drained of fluids & a special mixture is put into trans & engine. then they are fired off untill they stop - within 7 minutes. In order for the dealer to recoop his money all this has to be documented. The dealers have to wait on their money. it is not instant.

This is the word from the yards owner.

ratty 46
Old 08-27-2009, 09:36 PM   #8
bigblock73
yeller

Our main yard in the area is getting them in. They are allowed to keep and part them out for 90 days (I believe it was 90, might have been 60), after that, thet are required to be crushed. It was in the paper and on the news.
Old 08-27-2009, 09:45 PM   #9
jjdup

the local pull a part yard here can sell all parts but the block and heads. the motor is painted orange and has a sign tied to it saying the motor has been destroyed with liquid glass.they drain the oil and pour the liquid glass and run it till it is trashed. i went last friday and they had 10 or 11 on site.
Old 08-27-2009, 09:45 PM   #10
3r!c84
Badass

thanks i hurd about the motor and trans thing
ill talk to my naber tomrow tell him he is full of crap lol
look at this brings a tear to my eye

Old 08-27-2009, 09:52 PM   #11
silvereagle07

We have over 200 cfc's on our holding lot at the dealership. There are some 73-87's and 88-98's. It brings tears to my eyes seeing all these trucks awaiting their scrapyard deaths. I asked if I could get some parts off of them. Nope! Can't be done. I can't believe that truck owners would trade these gem's in for 3-5 yrs of payments. Dumb. Just my 2 cents.

'84 GMC project truck
'85 Chevy 4X4 SOLD
'07 Chevy Trailblazer SS

5th Annual SHPHC Car/Truck Show Pics
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=543605 UPDATED PICS! CHECK 'EM OUT

Last edited by silvereagle07; 08-27-2009 at 09:56 PM.
Old 08-27-2009, 11:31 PM   #12
Square84
I don't think these pills work

did he say f that chevy? he must be a honda guy. that burb looked real clean too, i cant believe that crap it really sucks
Old 08-27-2009, 11:45 PM   #13
dan76

I just visited a couple of local yards and both were getting several F150/Explorers from a local dealer. The counter folks indicated parts would be available as soon as they finished paperwork. A buddy and I are returning to snag a nearly perfect leather interior from a 90K Explorer.
Old 08-27-2009, 11:54 PM   #14
ratty 46

Ya know ....... I dig the "concept" but then NOT to dismantle the bodies & interiors (of these cars) ....... that is just plane STUPID. It makes no sence at all.

If the idea is to "go green" then why not let the parts be recycled - isn't that what the green thing is anyway. Using the parts 3/4/5 times over so as to not run pollution producing factories? I know I'm not going to sell my 78 steppy ....... why not let US pull a body part or three.

This program was/is just stupid. In 6-12 months when the people that can't pay for the cars cause we sold more metal to china & they lost their jobs ...... and the finance company's go & repo the cars ... then we're back to the mortgage finance debokle all over again......

Keep that ride!!

ratty46
Old 08-28-2009, 01:40 AM   #15
AceX
>130dB Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratty 46 View Post
A close friend works for a "junk" yard ..... word is this as they are a "collection" center for the local dodge dealer:

The cars CAN NOT be touched. Nothing can be removed from the vehicles. They must store them for a few months before they will be crushed. Engine & trans are drained of fluids & a special mixture is put into trans & engine. then they are fired off untill they stop - within 7 minutes. In order for the dealer to recoop his money all this has to be documented. The dealers have to wait on their money. it is not instant.

This is the word from the yards owner.

ratty 46
Don't they realize that the gas WILL go bad in that amount of time...? 3 weeks is the average life for a tank here in cali right now. Maybe 4 weeks.

Friend. Father. Brother.
RIP El Jay

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CLICK HERE and for less than $0.07 a day, you too can help support and build a better forum.
Old 08-28-2009, 02:05 AM   #16
texasfunk

on the website, it says the cars can have parts sold, anything can go BUT the drivetrain
1982 El Camino 350/350
1979 K5 2wd blazer bagged/bodied
1986 Monte Carlo SS
1991 Chevy CK SWB-67 clip and tailgate, bagged 350/700r4
1955 Chevy Bel Air
2014 Chevy Silverado ccsb
Old 08-28-2009, 05:44 AM   #17
_SLACKER_

This is just the start of the nazi government that we have in power rite now to try and get our old "GAS GUZZLERS" off the road, just think how pissed you will be when you go to the DMV and they say sorry your truck is too old to get registered anymore and they take it from you by force take it to the junk yard and crush it while you watch and tell you to go buy a prius or some hybrid piece of crap this is way we no longer live in the AMERICA that we once knew and we the greatest force in the WORLD WE THE PEOPLE OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA must stand up against this dictator, HOW FAR WILL YOU LET THE IDIOTS IN WASHINGTON WALK OVER THE AMERICAN PEOPLE AND AMERICAN WAY OF LIFE BEFORE YOU CANT TAKE IT ANYMORE MAYBE WHEN YOU ARE 60+ AND THEY TELL YOU YOUR LIFE IS NO LONGER WORTH SAVING AND YOU SHOULD FIND A HOLE TO LAY DOWN IN AND DIE BECAUSE THEY WONT GIVE YOU THE CARE YOU NEED. but at least were getting 35 mpg weeeeeeeeeeeeeeee feel the power yahhhhh
Old 08-28-2009, 05:51 AM   #18
andrewmp6

Once they kill the engine the car hits a auction after 3 days if no one buys it.It hits the junkyard and they can part them out but the drive train can only be sold in parts not in full.There was no limit on how long they sit in the yard.But only the last 2 years of this body style is covered tho.
Old 08-28-2009, 06:22 AM   #19
_SLACKER_

they could have taken that truck and gave it someone that needed it but no they took our tax money and gave it to some tree hugging hippy, glad my tax dollars went to giving some tard a car payment rather than funding cancer research for kids or giving proper care for our war vets or drilling for oil in our own country the country with the most oil reserves in the word enough oil to give every man woman and child in the world enough gas to drive blown big blocks every day for the next 300 years. The idiots couldn't even run cash for clunker rite, OOPS SORRY WERE OUT OF MONEY IN THE FIRST WEEK.
Old 08-28-2009, 06:43 AM   #20
dga93

All motors get the oil drained and then cement in them. key turns and they die.
So sad i saw 5 at the dodge dealer last week...
Old 08-28-2009, 08:07 AM   #21
74 C-30
Dually Pride

no offense intended toward anyone, but most likely, if you're driving a 'clunker' it's for a reason, a lot of people cannot afford new cars, and in 6 months, the number of repossessions will skyrocket, not to mention a lot of these 'clunkers' are still in good shape, and there is someone out there who could really use it. its really horrible how badly the American public is being f**ked over right now, and people are too ignorant to see the cure is worse than the problem.

'74 Chevy C-30 350/4 speed/dually
'94 Ford Ranger
Old 08-28-2009, 10:04 AM   #22
Liz
Catchy title goes here..

Quote:
Originally Posted by _SLACKER_ View Post
This is just the start of the nazi government that we have in power rite now to try and get our old "GAS GUZZLERS" off the road, just think how pissed you will be when you go to the DMV and they say sorry your truck is too old to get registered anymore and they take it from you by force take it to the junk yard and crush it while you watch and tell you to go buy a prius or some hybrid piece of crap this is way we no longer live in the AMERICA that we once knew and we the greatest force in the WORLD WE THE PEOPLE OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA must stand up against this dictator, HOW FAR WILL YOU LET THE IDIOTS IN WASHINGTON WALK OVER THE AMERICAN PEOPLE AND AMERICAN WAY OF LIFE BEFORE YOU CANT TAKE IT ANYMORE MAYBE WHEN YOU ARE 60+ AND THEY TELL YOU YOUR LIFE IS NO LONGER WORTH SAVING AND YOU SHOULD FIND A HOLE TO LAY DOWN IN AND DIE BECAUSE THEY WONT GIVE YOU THE CARE YOU NEED. but at least were getting 35 mpg weeeeeeeeeeeeeeee feel the power yahhhhh
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=162367

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh View Post
Here we go again. Recently the old recent events post was removed, and as soon as it was it seems all of you decided it was free for all time AGAIN. Here's how it is. NO political, NO religion debates will be tolerated. We allowed them a few tries and well it just doesn't work it turns into a nightmare for us to deal with. Anyone harassing another member, not following the rules, trolling, etc. WILL BE BANNED for 24 hrs without warning. Second offense will be 2 weeks, 3rd strike and your out. This means that all of my staff and I are tired of playing preschool teacher, learn to live together or you will not be here for very long.

Josh
Old 08-28-2009, 10:56 AM   #23
vonlefty

I hope the junkyards are actually getting some of the cash for clunker vehicles. At least it won't be a total waste
Old 08-28-2009, 12:32 PM   #24
Pyrotechnic

The ONLY reason this program exists is to remove cheap and reliable used cars from the market and flood the market with new cars, thus helping out the car industry.

Think about the year range that this program includes. This is about the time that EFI and overdrive became common place. This is what enabled engines to last 250,000-300,000 miles with regular maintenance. These are your cheap and reliable cars that people just keep driving and driving, rather than buy a new car, and there are LOTS of these cars still on the road.

Why doesn't this system include ALL cars ? They are focused on the massive population of cheap and reliable cars that are hindering the sales of new ones.
Old 08-28-2009, 04:40 PM   #25
kevinr1970

Still so much mis-information
If you read the rules (and I read the entire 136 page PDF), there is nothing in it that says the salvadge yards can't sell parts. The tags/title can't ever be re-used so essentially the car is destroyed, BUT they can sell any part off the vehicle EXCEPT the engine block or the drivetrain AS A WHOLE. Although this seems to be ambiguos, it means that they can sell the transmission, the rear end, the axles, etc., as seperate parts but not as a complete unit.
They can sell parts off the engine EXCEPT the block. But since they are destroying the engine by running the solution through it nothing should be any good. But really, if you are taking your engine apart enough to replace the pistons or the camshaft, are you going to want to use a USED part of unknown condition?
The salvadge yards were protesting the engine part with the argument about selling parts but they were also admitting that a running engine was a high profit item for them. So it seemed less about selling parts than selling running engines.
If any dealers are only selling vehicles to scappers it isn't because of any rule saying they have to, it is either because they didn't understand the rules completely (which I am not sure I would believe) or because they are getting more money from the scrappers than the salvadge yards for them.
One of the rules is that the dealer is supposed to give the person trading in an estimate of the scrap value and deduct that from the price, save for $50 for "administrative costs". This tells me that they are free to sell the vehicle to the highest qualified bidder (salvadge/scrapper). From what I read this has been one of the biggest complaints from buyers is the dealers not giving this value back or misinterpreting the rule and only giving $50 to the buyer. I have even read that some dealers were asking for the $50 from the buyer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceX View Post
Don't they realize that the gas WILL go bad in that amount of time...? 3 weeks is the average life for a tank here in cali right now. Maybe 4 weeks.
I think you are misunderstanding something. The engines have to be destroyed in a set amount of time. I think originally it was 3 or 7 days. But after the debacle proccessing the applications they agreed that the engines don't have to be destroyed until after they are reimbursed (which sort of takes away the incentive for them to do so?). Then the clock starts ticking. This should realisticaly be done within a few weeks of the program ending. But this has to be done before it leaves the dealers possession.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrotechnic View Post
Why doesn't this system include ALL cars ? They are focused on the massive population of cheap and reliable cars that are hindering the sales of new ones.
This was done to appease groups like SEMA; they were concerned that "classic" cars would get destroyed. They weren't out to get all cars, just the clunkers. Everyone has there own opinion of what that is?
1991 GMC CrewCab Dually 4x4, just going to fix things up for now
1982/1989 K5/GMC Jimmy 2wd
1987 GMC 1/2 ton swb 2wd Crew (sold)
Closed Thread