The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-28-2009, 01:01 AM   #1
AJLChase

Oil Bath Breather

Was curious as to where I could find information on how to change my oil on my 67. It's got a 327 with the Oil bath still on it. I've looked online with only the ability to find out how to change regular oil filters and air filters. Thanks!
AJLChase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 02:14 AM   #2
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Re: Oil Bath Breather

oil bath filters are either 2 piece or 3 piece. Take the center wingnut off and seperate the halfs remove the lower have from the carb dump the oil and refil to the line then assemble the halfs . I'm supprised to see a oil bath on that late of a truck. post a picture of it.
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 02:52 AM   #3
vectorit
What?

My 68 came with an oil bath air cleaner.
Back when I ran the oil bath on the burb, I would dump out the old dirty oil then clean out the housing with a solvent. Pay special attention to the base of your bath, since that is where most of the dirt will settle. There was an element that would stay soaked with oil, this is basically your dust and dirt catcher so this has to be cleaned as well. I would back in the day just soak it in a pan of gasoline, but I'm sure there is a safer and better way of doing this now. None the less you want that screen to be as clean as possible. Once you have it all clean, just refill it with a 30wt or something similar to the fill line. I would also soak the screen seperately to make sure it was completley covered in oil.

The connector that breaths from the valve cover to the stack, I just would shoot carb cleaner though it and try to shake out any gunk left in it.

I may be totally off on this, since the last time I did this was - uh 20+ years ago.

Last edited by vectorit; 08-28-2009 at 03:13 AM.
vectorit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 03:04 AM   #4
72lb4x4
Account Suspended

As dwcsr said, but you probably want to clean all the bits as well.

You might measure the carb diameter where the filter sits, and troll the scrapyards for a paper type element filter assembly. Note the info on the vehicle so you can get a replacement element. The paper filters are supposed to be much better at keeping the small rocks out of the motor. Snag the wing nut and stud too...

Last edited by 72lb4x4; 08-28-2009 at 03:05 AM.
72lb4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 12:35 PM   #5
AJLChase

But for the rest of it, unscrew the plug down at the bottom and drain the oil then cap it back on then poor the oil in as usual?
Old 08-28-2009, 01:03 PM   #6
69GMCLonghorn

Does anybody know how well these things breathe as compared to an open element? Are they very restrictive? I tossed my out the door about 5 minutes after I bought the truck. For the novelty of it, I kind of wish I would have kept it.
69GMCLonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 01:20 PM   #7
don t. - 72gmc

I have no idea about oil bath filters on our trucks, but I do have an oil bath filter on my 45 ford tractor. Oil bath are supposed to be a better filter than any paper filter, related to clean air. I've been told they are no more restrictive than a paper filter.

HTH....don t. ....
don t. - 72gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 02:09 PM   #8
vectorit
What?

Personally I'd like to learn more about it myself.
My burb came with one, and was actually an option on the SPID.

I've heard they are best for extreme environments, where there is a lot of dirt and dust.

I know back in the day they were probably the best thing, and today they are obsolete obviously. But I'd really like to use mine again, since it is original to the truck. But finding the screen element has been futile for me over the years, and I am always on the look out for one and if n when I find it the oil bath is going back on.
vectorit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 03:33 PM   #9
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJLChase View Post
But for the rest of it, unscrew the plug down at the bottom and drain the oil then cap it back on then poor the oil in as usual?
Yes, and be sure to change the engine oil filter also. Now.... is it a modern screw-on or drop-in canister type?

As vectorit said, be sure to clean out your air filter with solvent, they dry before refilling with fresh oil. And yes, oil bath air filters are supposed to be the best thing for extremely dirty environments. No clue how their flow rates compare with paper elements, but probably pretty well. They're just very messy to deal with and not worth the trouble for most of us. If it were mine, I'd replace it with a paper filter....

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 04:26 PM   #10
don t. - 72gmc

Vectorit....On the ford tractor, its just a metal mesh. Before I knew more, I used 3 stainless steel chore-boy scrubbing pads. I kinda stretched them out abit so they would fit.

If you stay on top of cleaning the oil in the filter, you should rarely haffta clean the mesh. The oil gets sucked up into the mesh, the crap gets stuck. When you shut down, gravity of the oil "should" flush the mesh of the debris.

Caveat...like I said, I know nothing about o-b-filters on our trucks, but would think they logically work the same.

HTH.....don t. .....
don t. - 72gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 05:23 PM   #11
eagleuh1

I think your supposed to use 70 or 80 weight oil per the owners manual. I'll check when I get home. I use my oil bath air cleaner on my 68 and it runs fine. Just fill up to the mark on the plastic ring that goes in the bottom.
eagleuh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 07:57 PM   #12
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

the EPA is the main reason the oil bath went away. Paper is easier, but oil bath gets more dirt out. However, oil mist can, and does get in the incoming air and burns in the cylinder, causing more pollution than needed.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 08:16 PM   #13
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

I was thinking we used cheap (recycled bulk) engine oil when I was a kid, but that's been about 45 years ago so.....

Anyway a quick Google search came up with this:

http://vintagetractorengineer.com/20...-for-tractors/

Use the correct grade (weight) of oil. If the oil is too heavy it will not be carried up by the air onto the packing material. Conversely, if the oil is either too light or the reservoir is too full then oil can be carried through the packing material and towards the engine. In petrol fuelled models this can enrich the fuel mixture in the carburettor and not only increase exhaust emissions of unburned hydrocarbons but also increase fuel consumption. Inspect the inside of the clean pipe for any traces of oil. If you cannot find the specification for the oil then as a general rule your system will usually be designed to use the same type of oil as the lubricating oil in the engine. In very cold conditions it may be necessary to use a lighter oil or dilute the oil with up to 25% paraffin to manipulate the oil viscosity.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Old 08-28-2009, 08:17 PM   #14
WorkinLonghorn

Here's what the '69 manual says;
Attached Images

'69 GMC C2500 Custom Camper, 8 1/2' bed, New GM 350, NP 435 Close Ratio 4spd. Trans., 3.73 Dana-60 open.Camper and Trailer wiring, PS, PB, AC, tach , three gas tanks, 2nd owner, Work-Truck supreme. Best $300 I ever spent.
WorkinLonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 12:45 AM   #15
AJLChase

Wow, thanks for all of the information guys. Very nice of you to go above and beyond helping me out. Appreciate it very much!
Old 08-29-2009, 11:27 AM   #16
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Great forum, isn't it?

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Old 08-29-2009, 10:20 PM   #17
c10addict

I like the look as well so heres what I did for the 54 GMC Im building... I cut all the oil bath junk out and bought a 6" air cleaner assy... I tacked the base for the new filter in the bottom of the oil bath can and the lid in the lid... Looks old but with a new filter inside... I might take a hole saw and put a few 2" holes in the back of the original oil bath housing for better air flow..
Attached Images

54 GMC under the knife getting a S10 chassis swap and bagged. See my build thread...
07 GMC Sierra 5/7 drop, 22's and 24's Air ride on my mind..
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=339340

See pics of my trucks in my profile
c10addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 12:25 AM   #18
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Thumbs up Re: Oil Bath Breather

That's a great idea, love the way it turned out!

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Old 09-08-2009, 04:27 PM   #19
AJLChase

Other question. Which "solvent" would be best used to soak the filter that's in the canister in? Also, can I use that same solvent to clean the insides of the canister? Thirdly and lastly, there's a very large canister on the bottom of the engine that looks like an overgrown oil filter, but with out unscrewing it and looking I'm sure it's some kind of internal filter.....as LMC offers a element that replaces the one inside of the canister. So, where would I get that element outside of ordering from LMC?
Old 09-08-2009, 05:01 PM   #20
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

When I was a kid, we just used gasoline... not good I know, and I've never actually used proper solvent . Can't you just buy parts-cleaning solvent at any parts store? Better let someone else field that...

You used to able to buy drop-in filters at any parts store, too.... have you checked with them?

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Old 09-08-2009, 06:17 PM   #21
AJLChase

I stopped at NAPA and they gave me a regular filter to put inside the canister. As I've not looked at it yet I am not sure if this will work or not. He said I should be able to unbolt it and put the new one in the inside of it.
Old 09-08-2009, 07:07 PM   #22
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Quote:
I stopped at NAPA and they gave me a regular filter to put inside the canister.

He said I should be able to unbolt it and put the new one in the inside of it.
That's about it. Be sure to thoroughly clean the inside of the canister first. Oh, when you remove the canister from the engine, if the old gasket doesn't come out, you'll need to dig it out. The new filter should come with a new gasket. As with a spin-on, give it a light coat of clean oil prior to installing.

And of course start the engine and check for leaks when you're done.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Old 09-08-2009, 10:12 PM   #23
AJLChase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stocker View Post
That's about it. Be sure to thoroughly clean the inside of the canister first. Oh, when you remove the canister from the engine, if the old gasket doesn't come out, you'll need to dig it out. The new filter should come with a new gasket. As with a spin-on, give it a light coat of clean oil prior to installing.

And of course start the engine and check for leaks when you're done.
I think it all worked out well with the oil change. It's much messier then a normal oil filter that's for sure. How much oil does one normally put in these?
Old 09-09-2009, 07:50 AM   #24
eagleuh1

For about $20 you can get the conversion mount to use a satndard spin on oil filter. Most parts stores or Summit has them. Putting mine on today. Jim
eagleuh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 09:33 AM   #25
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Quote:
How much oil does one normally put in these?
Typical SBC oil change including filter will take 5 quarts.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay