The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-12-2003, 05:05 PM   #1
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Smile Worried for a little bit

Well, I put my battery on charge last night. I ran it down while working on the inside of my truck. Like a dork, I left a door open for a couple nights. Anyway, I go out this morning to see if it's charged yet, It was, so I unhook everything. Go over and turn on the headlights, and nothing. Remember now, I can't start it because the distributor is at MSD. I flip the dimmer to high beams, and they work. Back to dim, no headlights. Everything else works.

Since I had the dash tore apart with the instrument cluster out and dash pad off, I thought I've got a wire off somewhere or something. So I take everything back apart to check it all. Can't see anything wrong. First thing that come to mind is the dimmer switch. Since it's in the column and I didn't feel like tearing it apart to take it out, I went to Advance Auto parts and bought a new light switch. Mine has never been changed and wouldn't hurt to change it even if it didn't fix it. Well, it didn't fix it. Damn.

Just getting ready to take the column apart, I looked once more at all the wiring and related plugs. I noticed the plug at the base of the column where the column wiring plugs up was not clipped all the way in. It has the two tangs and one wasn't clipped. I push it in until it clips, and guess what? It worked. Hooray.

I bad didn't want to get into changing the dimmer switch.

These trucks sure can tear your nerves up sometimes. But damn, ain't it fun when you get it fixed?

1985 Chevy C-10
swervin ervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2003, 06:17 PM   #2
79BIG10
I'm back with 2nd truck!

Sounds like me and my starter, fuel valve and most everything else electrical. Me and electricity are not best of friends Glad to hear you got it fixed.

"Don't underestimate how sexy a fat man who drinks to excess can be." Homer Simpson
79BIG10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2003, 06:32 PM   #3
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

You are right Brandon. I absolutely hate messing with wiring/electrical stuff. Just about every time I do, it ends up being a headache.
swervin ervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2003, 09:01 PM   #4
Prerunner1982

im there with ya'll... this draw on my batt is driving up the wall.....
Oklahoma Roll Call
Prerunner1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2003, 01:35 AM   #5
Bowed

Quote " But damn, ain't it fun when you get it fixed?

Just like birth pains , isn't it .
Bowed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2003, 02:58 AM   #6
SCOTI

swervin, amen on those electrical gremlins being a pain in the ass. I've been re-wiring a 66 mustang for a co-worker & got the new harness installed under the dash & started hooking up the start/ign system. I'm feeling confident that everything's right & decide to try & start it. Power to the switch in the 'ON' position but it wouldn't turn over (no power in the 'START' position). I dbl. check my connections & everything looks good. I'm thinking, maybe it's the nuetral safety, so I ask the guy if he had any probs (other than the ign switch catching on fire & burning up the surrounding wiring) when the vehicle last ran. He says no, so I figure it's something I wired. Well, after a week of trying to figure it out, I was about to give up & take it to a local shop. I was just sitting in the car & thought 'what the hell' & put it in nuetral. I turned the key & the engine spun/tried to fire. Dohhh . . . I should have trusted my judgement before spending the week looking. Now I have to just figure out why the dash lights won't work. Hhmmm, surely a ground, but which one??????????? Oh, I fixed the nuetral safety so it starts in park now too.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is online now   Reply With Quote