The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-28-2009, 01:22 PM   #1
Zilverado
Account Suspended

Fuel Leak - Tank Removal

So, I've done some searching and there is some good info here on removing the fuel tanks - in case I need to do that - but I thought I would get some thoughts first...

First off - the truck in question has dual tanks - right and left of course.

Earlier this year, I developed a fairly significant fuel leak from the left tank - even with the truck parked - but it appeared to be coming from above. I did not have time to deal with it at the time, so I drained the tank and have been running on the right one ever since.

Now the right one is leaking, again even when parked - just dripping from the plastic "pan" underneath - not sure where exactly it's coming from - but again I suspect the top / hose connections.

Question:

Is there a "typical" place I should be starting my search? Is it just a "coincidence" that the right one started so soon after the left one, or could it be in the common lines somewhere.

I know I will likely need to do some digging to find out, but I thought I would ask the gang before going too much further...

Thanks in advance.
Zilverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 01:55 PM   #2
Adams74Chevy

Re: Fuel Leak - Tank Removal

It could be the tanks rusted where they are held in place by the straps my father's '87 K20 had that happen on his one tank.
1987 V20 Custom Deluxe 350 TH400 NP208 "farm truck" getting parted out.
2016 Nissan Altima grocery getter/commuter
Adams74Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 04:16 PM   #3
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

both my tanks were rusted not at the hoses but on top of the tank advanced auto parts sells the tanks for under $100 each long tanks thats where i got mine... ill look later for pics and post em here

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 05:46 PM   #4
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

heres some from the left tank swap
Attached Images

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
Old 08-28-2009, 05:49 PM   #5
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

and finally installed the dark spots show the leaks... this one wasnt as bad as the right side which had a major hole
Attached Images

I hate cancer!!
Old 08-28-2009, 06:19 PM   #6
3r!c84
Badass

is that a bigger tank?

drop a gear and disappear!

1/4:13:90
3r!c84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 10:48 PM   #7
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

I had 16 gallon tanks in the truck but i do alot of OTR stuff so i opted to put the larger tanks in... you just shift over the bracket to the next set of holes ( the rear bracket) and it all bolts up fine... I also had to do some adjusting to the filler thing by cutting them and then using a radiator hose for the new fill tube but it works well

I hate cancer!!
Old 08-28-2009, 10:50 PM   #8
3r!c84
Badass

cool what size is it?
where u get it from?

drop a gear and disappear!

1/4:13:90
3r!c84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 11:00 PM   #9
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

the ones i got were 20 gallon tanks. If you go to advanced auto parts online and print out the tanks ( and the straps) online then take that to the store they charged me $99 per tank and $24 for the straps plus state tax. The had them overnight for me on a holiday weekend.. its the best price i shopped these for a while

I hate cancer!!
Old 08-28-2009, 11:05 PM   #10
79Silv4x4
Workaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by old Rusty C10 View Post
and then using a radiator hose for the new fill tube but it works well
Wondering how long that is gonna work for you??? I did something similar years ago when I swapped from a stepper to a fleetside and the hoses didn't last long.
2006 Suburban LTZ (daily driver)
79Silv4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 11:34 PM   #11
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

I went and got the pre formed radiator hoses .. I went and measured the hose to make sure it would fit and used those kind of hoses instead of the bendable ones, and it seemed to be a pretty heavy hose.. eventually if those leak ill go to regular fuel line kind of hose so far its been almost two months and been ok

I hate cancer!!
Old 08-29-2009, 12:00 AM   #12
asphaltburner

Yo! When I rebuilt my fuel system I replaced my aux. tank (drivers') with a shiny one I found in the local junkyard complete with straps and mounts for $70. Washed and dryed both tanks and replaced all the vent and filler hoses with ones from LMC truck. Also put in brand new senders at the same time,...they come with solid floats now. Here's it all ready for installation:

Name:  twin20gallontanks.jpg
Views: 654
Size:  46.2 KB

Fuel is easily siphoned out of the tanks prior to removal, and I used stacked wood blocks to support the tanks while I removed and installed them.
Todd.

Last edited by asphaltburner; 08-29-2009 at 12:00 AM.
asphaltburner is offline   Reply With Quote