The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-30-2009, 11:13 PM   #1
rico7769
Hybrid67

Unhappy Help w power steering pump

Hello Fellow truck junkies! I have a problem that has been haunting me since I bought my 67 GMC last year. Power steering!!!! I am running a sb350 w th400 tranny from a 77chevy P/U. The hoses and gearbox holes are not compatible with each other. So, I finally broke down and had a custom hose made a couple of weeks back. I bought a new rebuilt P/S pump that is compatible w/ our motor and mounted and installed w/ a new belt. Upon startup, I noticed a hole in the rear of the pump to the right of the pressure hose inlet that was dripping fluid very heavily. I've been researching online and found that there should be a post/bolt that goes in it. I guess the person that rebuilt it failed quality control. ha ha...not for me though. My question is this: Does anyone know the reason for the hole? My best guess from pics online is that it shouldn't be there and most pics show the stud. Does anyone know the correct dimensions and size for the stud that should go in that hole? It is the only thing really holding up my dream of power steering.
Any info would be appreciated.

All show.....no go
rico7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 09:07 AM   #2
geezer#99

Re: Help w power steering pump

Don't sweat the details. Pull the pump off, take it back to where you bought it, tell them it's a leaker and get them to fix it or replace it. Thoroughly inspect a new one too. Take your hoses with you too. So you know they'll fit a replacement pump. A pic of your pump would help on here too. Easier for us to diagnose your problem.
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 11:20 AM   #3
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.
Re: Help w power steering pump

It's possible that you used to have a bolt with an extension for a mounting bracket. If you google the p.s. pump and look at some of the pics you may be able to see what I'm talking about. If this is the case, it probably went with your old pump and they probably don't have it anymore.

It's probably fine or machine threads and you just have to measure the hole and try some bolts.. Or, you could look for one in a junkyard. They usually have lots of these old pumps already removed. You'd have to buy the whole pump, but it shouldn't be that much.

Always wise to compare the old with the new very, very, carefully when buying from auto parts stores. I've also been burned before...
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 06:38 PM   #4
rico7769
Hybrid67

Thumbs up Re: Help w power steering pump

think i'll try to take it back first. We've had it for quite a while waiting on installation due to painting the block, new valve covers, water pump,etc. If not, time to make a trip to the Junkyard. Thanks for the info guys.

All show.....no go
rico7769 is offline   Reply With Quote