The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-31-2009, 11:15 PM   #1
tylordurben

front bumper install w/ cutlas clip...

hey there guys,

i just purchased a 51 5 window with a Cutlas / Monte front clip. V8, p/s, p/b the usual. well this clip has a steering box up front and i am not quite sure how i will install the front bumper? i can weld and fabricate so let me know or post pics even better of your solution if you know of one.

thanks!

tylordurben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 04:14 PM   #2
youngrodder

Re: front bumper install w/ cutlas clip...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylordurben View Post
hey there guys,

i just purchased a 51 5 window with a Cutlas / Monte front clip. V8, p/s, p/b the usual. well this clip has a steering box up front and i am not quite sure how i will install the front bumper? i can weld and fabricate so let me know or post pics even better of your solution if you know of one.

thanks!

The same set up was used on my 48. It was set up by the PO. Mine has some tabs the extend down from the frame rail and it appears as if they used the factory bumper mounting supports. I will dig through some pics to see if I can fine one that shows this mount. My truck is not currently at my house as I recently moved.

I will see what I can find.

Marc
youngrodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 04:38 PM   #3
youngrodder

I have found a few pics.
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

You will have to zoom in. They are basically L shaped mounting tabs that are welded to the bottom of the frame rails. The bumper supports then bolt to the mounting tab.

This last picture shows the pumper on the truck to give you an idea of how it would look when bolted together.
[IMG][/IMG]

Good luck
Marc
Old 09-01-2009, 11:44 PM   #4
tylordurben

excellent thanks for those pics. so in reality its an L to get under the sway bar. i really want to keep the sway bar, but the down side is that the bumper brackets wont be very effective. i can live with that!
tylordurben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 12:30 AM   #5
mr48chev

I used a rear steer Camaro stub but did like Youngrodder did and welded brackets to the bottom of the front of the stub.

I used 2 inch angle iron or flat bar (That was about 30 years ago) and drilled it to fit the holes in the stock bumper brackets and then fitted the angle to the frame stubs and welded them on. It's not rocket science but it does take some fitting and measuring to get it right.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 08:29 AM   #6
youngrodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylordurben View Post
excellent thanks for those pics. so in reality its an L to get under the sway bar. i really want to keep the sway bar, but the down side is that the bumper brackets wont be very effective. i can live with that!
Correct, and when you say effective you mean the bumper would be more for looks then actaully protecting you in a crash..........I agree. It goes to the saying "all style and no substance".

I also think that it is important to keep the sway bar as well.

Marc
Old 09-02-2009, 02:57 PM   #7
steve53

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngrodder View Post
Correct, and when you say effective you mean the bumper would be more for looks then actaully protecting you in a crash..........I agree. It goes to the saying "all style and no substance".

I also think that it is important to keep the sway bar as well.

Marc
wouldn't the bolts holding that bumper on in the stock location just shear off anyhow in any sort of hard fender bender? you would probably have to strengthen/weld the crap out of that thing and add some notches to the frame for a "crumple zone" if you wanted to get any actual safety out of the stock bumper mount.

hehe i think that bumper was just intended to push cows out of the way when trying to get in the gate to feed em.

1st Armored Division, OIF Veteran
steve53 is offline   Reply With Quote