The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-01-2009, 09:13 PM   #1
CrashBob

Aluminum trim brightening

Hey,

I was trying to clean some paint off the edges of my aluminum lower body mouldings using lacquer thinner and a rag with little success. So what the hey, I took some #0000 steel wool and soaked it in the thinner and scrubbed away. The paint came off and so did the grunge on the moulding leaving a shiny area. With nothing to loose but time, I used the procedure on the whole piece and it came out nice and bright. I checked to see if the anodize was still there by using a little Mother's polish and there was no black aluminum smut on the rag.
Of course I discovered this AFTER I trashed 4 pieces using oven cleaner to remove the anodize. Left it on too long and it ate the aluminum surface.

CrashBob
Old 09-01-2009, 09:27 PM   #2
big mike71

Re: Aluminum trim brightening

So are you saying that the anodize is on there, how about some pics.
Old 09-01-2009, 09:44 PM   #3
57larry

may have to try this
57larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 09:47 PM   #4
CrashBob

Quote:
Originally Posted by big mike71 View Post
So are you saying that the anodize is on there, how about some pics.
The front wheel opening in my next post pix is one of the pieces.
Old 09-01-2009, 11:21 PM   #5
Rack Man

The #0000 steel wool would have probably did the job without the thinner...I just did a bunch of chrome trim parts with that same steel wool and it worked awesome...I'll have to give the thinner trick a try though...might make it even a bit easier....Thanks!
Old 09-02-2009, 01:06 AM   #6
Green Machine

Great idea, will have to try it, got a bunch of trim to shine up too. Did it remove the yelllow crud if it had any ?
2001 GMC Sierra 1500 C3 6.0
Green Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 02:07 AM   #7
petey-pablo
"THE GREEN GOBLIN"

I would say the #0000 Steel wool would not work as I Cleaned my whole 72grill and it fogged the anodize up, It looked all nice and shiny when I was done then after I rinsed it over the garden hose and it dried up the damage was noticable. Now my grill looks like it has soap scum.. On the other hand, I sprayed a nice 4 to five inches on the front side with Easy Off oven cleaner and It Made it even worse Left it stained real nasty maybe I should have tried it on the back side first... I am still looking for other options...........
Front 2.5inch Spindles with 2inch Springs Rear 4inch drop Springs.
454BBC TH400,Posi

1971 Cheyenne 10 Long Fleet Side
454BBC TH350,Posi Sold

Drive it like you stole it!
Petey-pablo@sbcglobal.net
petey-pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 02:26 AM   #8
vectorit
What?

I have been down this road many times, and I will say it now and loud that pollishing it with the compound/cream/buffer du jour will be futile.

If you are interested in making your aluminum trim look like original brite, then you need to get it professionally redone. Or, replace it with new.

Here is a quote from the website I have linked below.

"Does aluminum needs to be anodized?

Aluminum must be anodized. No car manufacturer specifies OEM trim without anodizing. The anodic layer protects metal against corrosion and will be trouble free for years. If your aluminum trim is being polished without anodizing, you risk ruining your valuable parts. They will not be properly protected, and you will also need to hand polish the parts several times a year to keep them shiny."

I have used these guys to restore and re anodize my rear trim on my burb, and it all came back to me like it was new. They will pound out all dings, and even repair holes. BUT, the hole repair will be a tad darker than the rest. They informed me of this before hand, and I said go with it any ways. Afterwards, I looked at the spot where I had a hole and it is barely noticeable.

If you can't find the new trim, as in my case with a 68 burb then I say restore it. But if you have a PU all that stuff is replaceable now from just about all of the resto houses.

I'm not sure what the cost diference is in restoring, compared to replacing out right with new. But calling these guys and getting an estimate of some sort, you should be able to get an idea of what is more economical for you.

http://www.kingoftrim.com/home.html
vectorit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 08:22 AM   #9
Hart_Rod

I thought Mar-K made lower trim for the 68 Burbs?
Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 11:10 AM   #10
vectorit
What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hart_Rod View Post
I thought Mar-K made lower trim for the 68 Burbs?
As far as I know, no one is reproducing 67/68 rear burb trim.
vectorit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 09:29 PM   #11
CrashBob

Quote:
Originally Posted by petey-pablo View Post
I would say the #0000 Steel wool would not work as I Cleaned my whole 72grill and it fogged the anodize up, It looked all nice and shiny when I was done then after I rinsed it over the garden hose and it dried up the damage was noticable. Now my grill looks like it has soap scum.. On the other hand, I sprayed a nice 4 to five inches on the front side with Easy Off oven cleaner and It Made it even worse Left it stained real nasty maybe I should have tried it on the back side first... I am still looking for other options...........
All procedures are filled with variables. I posted my results with using steel wool and lacquer thinner as a tip, something that worked for me. My trim came out very nice, I'm sorry to hear that yours did not.
Good luck finding a solution.

CrashBob