The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-03-2009, 11:08 PM   #1
f.monroe

Can you Remember your First

..........drive in a Square body. I was looking at my pictures and thinking . I remember the first time I got to drive my truck . It was a 77 shorty and I didnt even have a license . Dad let me drive to the Rodeo arena about 5 miles from the house and I went by myself . I am sure the chest was a little swollen when I pulled in and my friends were jealous that I was driving . That is the same truck that eventually took me through high school , then to Technical school in Grand Prarie , to my first job ,,etc . I never felt bad in that truck , even though it was a hick truck when I got it or even when a drunk hit me at Post Oak and Westheimer in Houston . I was proud that it was still driveable and I drove back to Bryan without a problem .
Frank
Old 09-03-2009, 11:50 PM   #2
texasfunk

Re: Can you Remember your First

I remember mine, it was a all black 87 silverado, blue interior, my dad bought it for 3000 from an older gentleman, who only had 45000 miles on the od, it was a super clean truck,looked like it rolled off the showroom floor besides the drop kit, i used to sit on the curb around 6 just to see him drive around the corner, i thought it was sooo cool! he always told me one day it'd be mine, but when he fell ill and into the hospital for 3 months, we had to sell it for bills, its the reason for the 87 i have now, he doesnt know it yet, but its his when i get it painted
1982 El Camino 350/350
1979 K5 2wd blazer bagged/bodied
1986 Monte Carlo SS
1991 Chevy CK SWB-67 clip and tailgate, bagged 350/700r4
1955 Chevy Bel Air
2014 Chevy Silverado ccsb
texasfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 12:24 AM   #3
Driveway Dreams
I have car A.D.D.

That is cool. One of the few good memories I have of growing up is driving a K5 Blazer. Black and Silver, red guts if memory suits me right. I learned to drive at an early age. 1st grade or so. We lived a bit out in the sticks and got to drive up & down the county roads. We had this thing when I was in 3rd grade. I just remember moving into a house and needing to pull out a set of juniper bushes. So the guy I grew up with (enough said about him) hooked up the chains and had me pull them out while he directed and my mother stood inside and watched it all unfold. I felt like the king of the world after that.
The 86 build thread SOLD

Are you a Colorado member?Click here.
Driveway Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 02:55 AM   #4
moneyeater

Yes i can! I was in the US visiting relatives in 1987.I was 17 at that time.
One day a man showed up in a brown K10 Silverado.He was introduced to me as an uncle!He took me around in his truck for about a day and i loved riding around in it and talking to him in my not to good english i learned in school!
The truck was new and had that smell i allways remember!
Later in that vacation another aunt told me about him and that he is my father!
That was kind of shocking and i realized that when i was back home talking to my mum!
When i got my first computer and was able to go the internet in 2001 i contacted him via e-mail and got some answers! Asking him about that truck he told me it was sold shortly before with only 71000 miles on it and in very good condition!I told him that i bought a c 10 in 1993 and was restoring it he said if he had known that he would have given his truck to me!
Long story short: that was my first ride in a squarebody and i loved it!
Now i have two halfbrothers and a halfsister in Florida and New york somewhere near the folks from Orange County Choppers!
Volker
Name:  Henry´s ´87 [640x480].jpg
Views: 408
Size:  72.3 KB

Name:  Henry´s ´87a [640x480].jpg
Views: 408
Size:  63.8 KB

´81 GMC C 10, Spanish Red
moneyeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 08:33 AM   #5
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

My brother was in the Army and came home on leave. He bought a new 78 Silverado, black with red interior. (sound familiar?) He was transferred to Germany and had to leave the truck in my Mom's care.

Being the good brother that I am, I volunteered to "keep it clean" for him. I would drive it to the local coin-op car wash and clean it up, then cruise the town before returning it home.

It's amazing that I now own it's twin, and didn't actually plan it that way.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 09:06 AM   #6
JohnC

I don't really have a particular memory to one specific square body. My dad is a Ford guy so all we ever had at home were Fords. However, my best friends dad had a 77 blue and white 3/4 ton lwb with a 454 in it. That truck just sticks in my head. My favorite color combo. Then my uncle has had several square bodies over the years. He had on in particular. It was an 85 SWB. It was a candy apple red, with red interior. Nice aftermarket wheels. Every time I would go over there I would sit in it, and thought it was the coolest truck. My first truck was a 85 Ford F150 Stepside. I really liked the look of it, but it didn't last long. Had it about 6 months, and sold it to buy my old 84. I loved that truck. But as the family grew, and money got tight I sold it. I was driving a company truck at the time, and didn't need the extra vehicle sitting around, but could use the money from it. Fast foward a few years later, and the money situation is better, and still have a company truck so now it was time for a toy. I started looking for another square body, and found one. Wasn't looking for what I found, but it is the exact year, and color combo as my old 84. My wife is convinced I did it on purpose, but really it was just a coincidence. There is just something about square bodies that just draws me to them. I guess that is just the truck that I remember growing up. Kind of just stuck in my head.
JohnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 09:16 AM   #7
msgross

Mine was my first vehicle. 79 Blazer when I was 16 (in 1990). My mom and I took it for a testdrive and talked about the options. Next day she picked me up at school and handed me the title. She was a single mom working at a factory but shelled out $1500 for my first truck, that's good parenting!

I kept that truck until my second year in the Army and it was starting to get some bad rust, sold it for $1500 and bought a car for MPG's.

Lot of memories (w/girls) in that first ride
1969 C-10 LWB (SOLD) "Project flip that truck or else"
1993 Passport, F@rd 1-ton (SOLD)"Project Cousin Eddie"

My Garage Build "The 1,000 footer"
msgross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 09:29 AM   #8
swb85
On a budget like Fred Sanford

Mine was in my uncle's brand new '85 high sierra swb 4x4. Light metallic blue with dark blue interior. I fell in luv with that truck, have been addicted to squares since.
swb85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 09:29 AM   #9
bluex

Sure can, I even get to look at it still.

Dad bought it when I was 12. Rode home in it with him. Not sure how old I was probably about 13, and he would let me drive it around the gun club we are members at. He gave it to me two months before my 15th birthday, and I drove it daily until I was 19.
bluex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 11:41 AM   #10
menace121978

Awesome stories guys!! and sweet thread Frank!!

i dont remember my 1st ride but it was in my truck! my grandpa bought my truck new the same year i was born and i was brought home from the hospital in her. she was the 1st vehicle i ever drove at around 9 or 10 years old power braking around corners and manual shifting through 1st, 2nd and drive!... i've been in love with this truck forever... through thick and thin she's always been there ol' reliable!

1978 Silverado (2wd, 1/2 ton, short bed)complete nut & bolt frame off restomod LQ9/4L80E
MY LS SWAP/FRAME OFF BUILD BOOK

2006 TBSS way too much to list
menace121978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 11:57 AM   #11
boatpuller

i was around when these "squares" were new.i rode in several brand new ones back in the day.i wasn't able to afford one new back then.
Old 09-04-2009, 12:17 PM   #12
jchav62
1962 C-10

I remember my first ride (drive) in a square. I was still in elementary school, about 4th grade or so, my Dad had a '77 Silverado, fulltime 4x4, shortbed, fleetside. It was black with red interior, hurricane style wheels, 10-15 Ridge Runner tires, custom tube grille, and headlight blackouts. We called it the "Fall Guy" truck. It was the first of his vehicles that he let me "drive". I sat on his lap and steered us home from my uncle's house. It was great!! I loved that thing.
.........________//__{\_____
,,,,,,,/__(O)___//___/__(O)_/

1962 C10 Shortbed Fleetside 327/th350 GV overdrive
1974 C10 Longbed Fleetside 350/th350 "The Trash Truck"
1999 Chevy 2500 OBS, Longbed 5.7/4L80E 4x4
2015 GMC Sierra SLE 1500 4x4
jchav62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 12:56 PM   #13
Russell
Professional Grade

Sitting on Grandpa's lap when I was 5 or 6 years old, running the steering wheel while he ran the pedals in a 1980 GMC C25.

I bought that truck when I turned 15 for $300, and drove it all through highschool. Recently had to part it out however, was one of the hardest decisions of my life =/
Old 09-04-2009, 02:55 PM   #14
Rollinsqrbdy

I learned to drive in my ol mans 85 swb silverado. It was black with a gray strip on the bottom. We had it for bout 5 years and my pops decided to sell it, so he posted a for sale sign on it and the very next day a man went to look at it and asked if he can take it around the block for a test drive. My ol man said yes and the man took it and we never saw him or the truck again. Sux. I was only 9 or 10.
1984 k 10 Silverado...6" lift with 38.5 super swampers
New Mexico Member
--- Member of the Square Body Club---
Rollinsqrbdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 04:20 PM   #15
Driveway Dreams
I have car A.D.D.

I am noticing a trend here that alot of us got the chance to drive at young ages. I think this is a dying trend with people getting so paranoid about EVERYTHING. It was never a big deal to go drive on back roads as a young kid. Now, somebody runs off the road and tears up a fence and the parents run the risk of getting sued or arrested. Sorry to interupt this great thread for that but it is a shame. Listen too all these great memories we all have.
The 86 build thread SOLD

Old 09-04-2009, 04:55 PM   #16
78BO

Hell, I can't remember my first drive. I grew up on a farm. We always had chevy trucks. I was hauling hay (the driver) when I was 8. At 10 I was promoted to stacker and 12 thrower. The harder the work the more money you made.
Old 09-04-2009, 05:32 PM   #17
3r!c84
Badass

yea i still got my first car lol
but my first drive was with my uncle. he buys and sells cars and i was with him for a week and he needed to get this car to the repair shop so he can sell it.
so he told me to drive it there and ill follow him.man what a rush.it was a POS
toyota 4runner. i use to race gocarts so i did know how to drive kinda.
i was only 8 at the time.im 17 now with my own c10

drop a gear and disappear!

1/4:13:90

Last edited by 3r!c84; 09-04-2009 at 05:32 PM.
3r!c84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 10:30 PM   #18
f.monroe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driveway Dreams View Post
I am noticing a trend here that alot of us got the chance to drive at young ages. I think this is a dying trend with people getting so paranoid about EVERYTHING. It was never a big deal to go drive on back roads as a young kid. Now, somebody runs off the road and tears up a fence and the parents run the risk of getting sued or arrested. Sorry to interupt this great thread for that but it is a shame. Listen too all these great memories we all have.
I let my boys drive on backroads . I live near the Brazos and flat cotton fields . You can see for a ways so I make sure everything is OK . I remember drivers ed and those kids that have never driven . I was scared when they drove and I was riding in the drivers ed car . My 10 year old can drive anything . He was moving round bales of hay today in a JD cab tractor . I teaching them and letting them have a little responsibility is a great learning experience .
Frank
Old 09-04-2009, 10:31 PM   #19
silvereagle07

I remember my first ride in a square body. It was my grampa's 82. He bought it new and he loved them just as much as I do now. I remember him taking me down to the local stores and buying seeds and plants for his garden. I also remember learning how to drive in my dad's square body. He would take me out on the old dirt roads put me in his lap and say "you drive". They are some great memories for me. As long as I can remember, someone in my family has always owned and drove a square body.

'84 GMC project truck
'85 Chevy 4X4 SOLD
'07 Chevy Trailblazer SS

5th Annual SHPHC Car/Truck Show Pics
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=543605 UPDATED PICS! CHECK 'EM OUT
silvereagle07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 11:28 PM   #20
Driveway Dreams
I have car A.D.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by f.monroe View Post
I let my boys drive on backroads . I live near the Brazos and flat cotton fields . You can see for a ways so I make sure everything is OK . I remember drivers ed and those kids that have never driven . I was scared when they drove and I was riding in the drivers ed car . My 10 year old can drive anything . He was moving round bales of hay today in a JD cab tractor . I teaching them and letting them have a little responsibility is a great learning experience .
Frank
I can't agree with you more. Learning early is alot nicer than the kids that get thrown into it when it comes time for the instruction permit. I just love the thought that my kids might even get to learn to drive in a square body. I never would think myself to keep 1 vehicle that long but I like these trucks enough that I just might still have at least 1 in 10 years or so. Then my kids can take part in this discussion.
The 86 build thread SOLD

Old 09-05-2009, 07:53 AM   #21
bluex

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluex View Post
Sure can, I even get to look at it still.

Dad bought it when I was 12. Rode home in it with him. Not sure how old I was probably about 13, and he would let me drive it around the gun club we are members at. He gave it to me two months before my 15th birthday, and I drove it daily until I was 19.

Since most of you are talking about first rides as well, thought I would add some more. My GMC (is the pic on my first post) is a base truck. Rubber mat, AM radio, no A/C. About the only option is heavy half. Before that when I was born and up till i was about 6 my dad had a 77 big 10. It was optioned out the same, but it had all the side trim and was the light blue with the white center and cab. He rebuilt the engine in it and spent hours making sure everything fit right and the engine turned smoothly. He was trying to maxize MPG's. He drove that one for a year or so after then had to sell it in the late 80's when gas got expensive. I remember falling asleep in that one coming home from the dirt track. Never did get to drive it though. I wish I could find it today, but neither my mom or I can find any info from it to get the VIN.

This is why both my trucks will eventually get the blue/white treatment with trim. I will probably go with a darker blue than was on his first truck though.
bluex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 09:32 AM   #22
thirdstreettito
Resident of Here

My first ride that I remember was back in 96' my dad had a retired NY DOT truck 85 CC C20, stop sign for the drivers floor...tired old 350. We called her "The Big Banana".

Miss having a truck
thirdstreettito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 02:08 PM   #23
3r!c84
Badass

im sure this is how everyone feels

drop a gear and disappear!

1/4:13:90
3r!c84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 03:52 PM   #24
big10ratrod77

yea i was very young i had always rode with my mom in her montie carlo my dad was always driving his 77 big 10 to work(which is now my truck) well this was the normal for a long time then saterday dad took me on my first fishing trip i was like 5 years old and we got in and the first thing that comes to mine is the little whine the granny grear transmission as we pulled out the drive and i remember how smooth it road and how my legs stuck to the seats and how it burnt when i sat down and went ot leave(and how my legs stuck to the seat),and that old truck smell. i realy loved to ride in the truck and now just this week i put 190 miles on it and it will be getting that till i finish school. and to belive that this was my dads first truck and my first truck its kinda cool.(but ive learned 1 thing since then its better to wear blue jeans)
77 chevy BIG DOOLEY 454/sm-465/14 bolt 4.10s "fully loaded"
73 plymouth duster 225 slant six/230 3 speed/8 1/4 trying to acheve 300 horse six http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3135091
'77 chevy trucks. built to stay tough.
life is short build a hot rod
big10ratrod77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 07:29 PM   #25
powerdriver 1958
Kid's Mechanic

Thanks for starting this thread.......My 1st ride was in a 77 one ton wrecker.Dad drove wrecker evenings and weekends and I spent a lotta weekends with him talking about home ,cars and girls.That was the last new truck he ever broke in.Lost him is 79.The memory of Dad and I riding, helping people in trouble is still fresh.
Attached Images

powerdriver 1958 is offline   Reply With Quote