The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-05-2009, 12:25 PM   #1
joeys66pickup
Dr. Frankenstein

My build thread(going backwards)

OK so now that the truck is on its way to being done(though it never really is)
I decided to do alittle buildthread on it so you guys can give me some advice as you guys know wayy more then me.....

Starting things off is alittle background info-

Truck started out life as a 65' shortbed(Swapped to 5-lug on all corners 3.42 limited slip 12 bolt, 2" drop spindles) that i had been "given" to fix up at the ripe age of 16...usual rust in the corners and had a big block previously installed so far back the firewall got cut to fit and never fixed.I started the usual work to get it running just going through everything waiting to see what I was going to put under the hood to low and behold find out a friend had a "454" that needed pulled out before the home it was in got crushed.So one day of labor an a free big block later it was mine THOUGH after doing some numbers its a 402ci out of a 72' car even though i heard the its never been swapped thing a million times for the truck it came out of(go figure huh?) Well after finally finishing that truck which i will have to find some pictures of i found out it had all the vins scraped an i couldnt title it without loosing some valuable body parts haha

So it sits for a year and i did alot of time sleeping in it and trying to figure out what to do, when one day browsing CL i found a 59' pickup cab for $200
and a 55' frontend for basically the price of getting off the property and so began the process of seeing what i could make! off came the cab and bed so i could throw in my big block and new TH400 and while it was off i did alot of cutting on anything that could be lightened or plain removed because i didnt need it, then when the time came to put the cab back on i decided it was time to tell my Dad its no longer what year he thought it was an a new cab needed a new home right....really the only difference was a few inches in height on the front cab mounts which i solved with longer bolts and taller bushings All of this basically was to get the truck to sit on the frame the way I wanted to ie. moves moved alittle forward in the W'wells and this is how it is for now while it goes over the drag racing edge....just getting it to go Faster and Faster while making my import driving friends realize it aint no rusty farm truck I will post alot more of my pictures when i can get them in order an sized but its a start

396/TH400
PowerDisk Front/15-8" wheel going to a 6"
12 Bolt
Drum Rear/15x10 Steel wheels w/ 28-12.5-15 et streets
PS
No Heat Or AC
Attached Images

Old 09-05-2009, 04:48 PM   #2
71'tahoe

Re: My build thread(going backwards)

I cant wait for the close ups of the bed and the front end..i have a perfect 56' cab and a perfect 65' short bed frame...i got to try the swap..sure save me the time of building a frame...what is the back spacingon the front and rear wheels?
71'tahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 07:49 PM   #3
joeys66pickup
Dr. Frankenstein

Re: My build thread(going backwards)

the back spacing is...well not deep i can tell you for sure(stock gm wheels on all four corners) The backs are maybe 3-4.5" for the bs and i have no idea what the front could be

Getting pictures downloaded later today once my camera is back